U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best option
Propose to annex itself to United States 3 30.00%
Propose to annex itself to France 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 24 days ago)

4,989 posts, read 4,539,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
If you don't get this garbage out of here. You'd probably get your ass slapped in the face by a real Zoe in real life uttering nonsense like this. Like I said every Haitian would fight to their last breath before they allow themselves to be annexed. Especially by the f*cking DR. A mod seriously needs to lock this stupid thread.
If you don't like the thread why keep coming back to it? There is no need to use such foul language or write such violent posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 8,173,248 times
Minus the cursing, the message that is said by ADOSwarrior is the typical message that is said by Haitians. Getting rid of Haiti in any shape or form is simply not an option, much less to put Dominicans ruling them or with a shared power. I keep telling people that the Haitians are a very proud people inside and outside of Haiti. There is no way around this.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 27 days ago)

12,822 posts, read 6,599,282 times
I don't think either country wants it. As an American, I certainly don't want Haiti being part of the country. That said, I'd give it to France if that's the only other alternative

Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 27 days ago)

12,822 posts, read 6,599,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Force France to return the modern day equivalent of the reparations its extorted from Haiti for the loss of slaves, which is about $21 billion.

Haitians, in my experience, prefer to stay independent from the DR as well as others.
That's the thing. I seriously question whether giving Haiti $21 billion today is going to fix a damn thing.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 AM

1,281 posts, read 467,330 times
Who comes up with these bizarro ideas?
You cannot annex yourself to another country!

Old 08-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Its also important for many people to realize that Haiti may not be doing so well economically, but that is only one part of what makes a country. It impacts a lot of things, but it is one thing.

Haiti has a history that Haitians are overall proud of. The country has certain historical places that are amazing with the Citadel on top of a mountain having no parallel in the Western Hemisphere and is probably the most impressive historical place in Haiti. Haitian art is world famous to the point that legitimate art pieces are highly valued in the art scene (something that is noticeable in the esteem Haitian artists is often held and the high price legitimate Haitian art production achieves). Some of the most notable people in literature has Haitian roots, such as Alexandre Dumas who I think was from Jeremie and one of his famous books includes "The Count of Monte Cristo", which is a classic even in the United States (any major bookstore in the USA has for sale reprints of his work, often times as part of a classic collection, plus I have a copy of his major novel). In Port-au-Prince there is an impressive museum (I forgot the name right now) of Haiti's history and of black people in general. Haitians also gave their lives in the battle defending the independence of the United States (yes, they were headed by French leaders since officially it was a help from France, but many of the soldiers were the ancestors of many current Haitians because it was one of the places where the help Americans needed came from). A long etc.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 24 days ago)

4,989 posts, read 4,539,885 times
Being on the same island as DR, I assume Haiti also has great beaches. Why haven't they used this resource to their advantage? I am sure they could also have a thriving tourism industry.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:24 PM

A place needs to have a stable government, clear rules of the game set up by the government, and an international campaign where the government pitches the advantages of investing in the country (this includes not only a division of the government that constantly pitches the place in other countries, but the president always pitching the place when they are abroad too). Without that its very hard to attract foreign investment of any kind.

Then there needs to be certain incentives to encourage investors to not only invest in the country, but steer them towards certain geographic areas. This usually means tax cuts or a tax holiday for 5 or 10 years.

Haiti does have many areas along its coastline that can be exploited for tourism. Its actually very rare a Haitian beach without a mountainous backdrop where as in the DR the mountains tend to be set back and not visible from the beach. The most popular place in the DR right now is the Punta Cana area which is flat.

The island itself has all types of beaches raging from sandy to pebbles; from the whitest sands to golden color, brown, and even black sand. The most profitable beaches are the powdery white sand beaches because people from North America, Latin America, and Europe value that. The DR has capitalized on this while the vast majority of Dominican white sand beaches, including the best ones, are devoid of all types of development and people because they are literally in the middle of nowhere. Haiti has a lot more coastline than the DR due to the Tiburon Peninsula in the south which adds plenty of coastlines despite Haiti is only 1/3rd of the island. Plus, most beaches in Haiti have spectacular over the sea views of the sunsets, which is a reality in a few beaches in the DR and practically doesn't exist in Punta Cana due to its geographic position and lookout point.

Haiti definitely has tourism on its deck of cards. The issue isn't there at all.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:20 PM

7,860 posts, read 2,535,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the thing. I seriously question whether giving Haiti $21 billion today is going to fix a damn thing.
Still money owed to them.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM

136 posts, read 16,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If you don't like the thread why keep coming back to it? There is no need to use such foul language or write such violent posts.
Because I have to address new misconceptions that constantly gets sprouted. An occupied Haiti would have another Cacos war which nobody would want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or