U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 06:10 AM

56 posts, read 13,485 times

Advertisements

I took a DNA test and the results are that I am 13% Portugal and 10% Spain and 10% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, and then mixed with others. I am 38% Native American from Central America and 10% Native American- Andean which is the region of Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador. The Native American percentages don't even say what from specific country or the Native American group. I don't like the fact it's not specific enough. I thought that Spain percentage would be higher than Portugal since it was Spain that invaded my country. Is 13% too low for me to claim I am Portugal? How high does the percentage have to be? If I say I am Native American people will ask from what group, what country, etc... And I don't know the answers to that. Portugal is my highest percentage when it comes to the actual country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 06:59 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,142,704 times
That’s because you didn’t do it with 23andme. That company has and continue to make genetic studies and are accepted by Scientific journals available online. They would tell you exactly the country your native american comes from. It doesn’t matter if the same indian tribe span several countries, they can figure the exact country without filling any surveys.

I haven’t seen averages for El Salvador, but neighboring Honduras pops up in one study. Obviously there is variation on a regional level, but nationally Hondurans averages something like this. I guess in El Salvador there is less of an African (there were some Africans there in the 1500, but most were accepted to Salvadoran families as they picked them for wives and husbands, if El Salvador had a more exclusive policy maybe there would still be a minority of blacks or mulattoes or zambos in that country) and a little more in native american.

https://thedominicans.org/2019/01/11...can-and-taino/

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-07-2019 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-07-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Thatís because you didnít do it with 23andme. That company has and continue to make genetic studies and are accepted by Scientific journals available online. They would tell you exactly the country your native american comes from. It doesnít matter if the same indian tribe span several countries, they can figure the exact country without filling any surveys.

I havenít seen averages for El Salvador, but neighboring Honduras pops up in one study. Obviously there is variation on a regional level, but nationally Hondurans averages something like this. I guess in El Salvador there is less of an African (there were some Africans there in the 1500, but most were accepted to Salvadoran families as they picked them for wives and husbands, if El Salvador had a more exclusive policy maybe there would still be a minority of blacks or mulattoes or zambos in that country) and a little more in native american.

https://thedominicans.org/2019/01/11...can-and-taino/

my brother did the 23andme and he should me the results, it's really about the same as ancestry DNA because it didn't show the specific country and it didn't even mention what Native American group he belongs to.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
my brother did the 23andme and he should me the results, it's really about the same as ancestry DNA because it didn't show the specific country and it didn't even mention what Native American group he belongs to.
You must be the first person I know that have significant native american DNA and doesn’t show a single country for that category. Maybe that aspects descend from several groups. I have met people with as little as 3% and it does show them two countries. Most people have one country in that category.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You must be the first person I know that have significant native american DNA and doesn’t show a single country for that category. Maybe that aspects descend from several groups. I have met people with as little as 3% and it does show them two countries. Most people have one country in that category.

it says Central America and it's circle for El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and Belize. This means it's not specific enough.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,594,019 times
Quote:
I took a DNA test and the results are that I am 13% Portugal and 10% Spain and 10% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe, and then mixed with others. I am 38% Native American from Central America and 10% Native American- Andean which is the region of Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador. The Native American percentages don't even say what from specific country or the Native American group. I don't like the fact it's not specific enough. I thought that Spain percentage would be higher than Portugal since it was Spain that invaded my country. Is 13% too low for me to claim I am Portugal? How high does the percentage have to be? If I say I am Native American people will ask from what group, what country, etc... And I don't know the answers to that. Portugal is my highest percentage when it comes to the actual country.
Those are pretty typical percentages. In your case, I don't think you can really identify with any specific ethnicity. 13% is definitely too low to identify as Portuguese. The Portuguese-Spanish mix is not suprising - back in the days of the conquistadors many Portuguese were signed up in those expeditions alongside the Spaniards. Since you're 50% indigenous, that would be your strongest ethnicity. You're gonna have to construct a geneology tree to look into your parents/grandparents to find out where they came from. I don't think DNA tests can give you that tribal information. My dad's 25% and it didnt' tell him anything about which Native American groups are involved. Could be any of a handful of groups from northern Mexico in his case.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Those are pretty typical percentages. In your case, I don't think you can really identify with any specific ethnicity. 13% is definitely too low to identify as Portuguese. The Portuguese-Spanish mix is not suprising - back in the days of the conquistadors many Portuguese were signed up in those expeditions alongside the Spaniards. Since you're 50% indigenous, that would be your strongest ethnicity. You're gonna have to construct a geneology tree to look into your parents/grandparents to find out where they came from. I don't think DNA tests can give you that tribal information. My dad's 25% and it didnt' tell him anything about which Native American groups are involved. Could be any of a handful of groups from northern Mexico in his case.

48%, and that's 38% from Central America and I believe after looking back that El Salvador is circled, and 10% from South America from the countries I mentioned, still it doesn't say what Native American group or groups.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,594,019 times
Quote:
48%, and that's 38% from Central America and I believe after looking back that El Salvador is circled, and 10% from South America from the countries I mentioned, still it doesn't say what Native American group or groups.
Only way you're gonna get that is researching your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 AM

Just for the record, these are the results 23andme (the most serious company so far, imo) are getting to have averages of several countries in the region. Obviously there are regional variance within many countries, but the national average seem to be something like this.

https://blog.23andme.com/ancestry/23...can-customers/

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM

414 posts, read 189,070 times
OP, claiming Portuguese ancestry due to having 13% of hypothetical Portuguese ancestry, without being being born in the country and having otherwise no ties to the country is a REALLY long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or