U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,000,032 times

Advertisements

Iím wanting to do a beach vacation during one of my Christmas/New Year vacations in a place thatís warm but not hot, and Iím scouting places I might retire in a couple decades on these vacations. I want to do this in the next few years as I know this vacation will cost at least $4,000 and I donít want to eat into my emergency savings that muchóbut I can save that much with a little discipline, as just socking away 250 a month will put me in a position to comfortably vacation in just 20 months. When in Arica, what are the best beaches in December? What are some some fun cultural events around that time? How much Spanish will I need to learn in the meantime?

Hablo un poco EspaŮol, no mucho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM

5,367 posts, read 8,092,966 times
I haven’t been to Arica, Peru; but I can tell you that in Lima the water is cold. From what some people told me, this is due to the Humboldt Current that hugs much of the Peruvian coastline and arrives from the South Pole. Also in Lima the beaches tend to have pebbles instead of sand. People still go in the ocean and many people even surf, but be aware of this. In most tropical areas the water tends to be warm. Much of Lima has a peculiar climate. For example, it hardly rains but instead for much of the year this gurķa thing, which is sort of a mist and affects visibility, is in the city. Everything is always wet, but you see a single drop of water falls. It is weird. At other times the Sun comes out and its nice and warm.

The same is also true of Asia, Peru (no gurķa there); however there the beach is of sand.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I haven’t been to Arica, Peru; but I can tell you that in Lima the water is cold. From what some people told me, this is due to the Humboldt Current that hugs much of the Peruvian coastline and arrives from the South Pole. Also in Lima the beaches tend to have pebbles instead of sand. People still go in the ocean and many people even surf, but be aware of this. In most tropical areas the water tends to be warm. Much of Lima has a peculiar climate. For example, it hardly rains but instead for much of the year this gurķa thing, which is sort of a mist and affects visibility, is in the city. Everything is always wet, but you see a single drop of water falls. It is weird. At other times the Sun comes out and its nice and warm.

The same is also true of Asia, Peru (no gurķa there); however there the beach is of sand.
Still seems like a nice place to visit, regardless. I usually like the water a little nippier, but based on the water temperature reports I'm reading, it looks too cold unless I get a wetsuit to break some of that off.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,030,314 times
Are we talking about Arica, Peru here or Arica Chile? Arica, Chile is a much larger city and is on the water and has beaches. I understand that it suffers in comparison from Iquique Chile.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Are we talking about Arica, Peru here or Arica Chile? Arica, Chile is a much larger city and is on the water and has beaches. I understand that it suffers in comparison from Iquique Chile.
Chile.

Its one of 4 places Iím interested in, but in this thread, Iím looking at Arica, Chile.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:55 AM

4,546 posts, read 1,741,072 times
I like Arica, I stayed there for several days, twice. It is a comforting place, nice people. Neat and prosperous, not third-worldy. I have no idea if there is "anything to do" there. I think the water is very cold (Humboldt Current -- there are penguins), so Id expect the beaches to feature mostly sun, the only reason anyone has a roof.

It would seem to me to be a nice place to retire, and I can't imagine how many months it would take me to squander $4,000 there. Maybe a year.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I like Arica, I stayed there for several days, twice. It is a comforting place, nice people. Neat and prosperous, not third-worldy. I have no idea if there is "anything to do" there. I think the water is very cold (Humboldt Current -- there are penguins), so Id expect the beaches to feature mostly sun, the only reason anyone has a roof.

It would seem to me to be a nice place to retire, and I can't imagine how many months it would take me to squander $4,000 there. Maybe a year.
Depending on ticket prices, half to two-thirds of that is the airfare. The remaining 1-2 thousand is mostly me being still young-ish and wanting to have some fun while my body can still take it. If the charts I'm reading on water temperature are correct, the water is in the 70s in the summer and the 60s in the winter. I can handle 70s alright, but I won't touch 60-anything without a wetsuit. Arica, Chile has the air temps I like and the first-worldliness I am attracted to, but the water seems too cold most of the year except those few warm weeks in December and January, according to my charts I'm using to research the place.

I'm from Louisiana, and I can't stand how hot our summers get. Even Honolulu would be too muggy for me. The ideal for me is a beach town with cool but not cold water and warm but not hot weather year-round. Arica is almost there. Almost...

Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 PM

315 posts, read 892,325 times
Check out Huanchaco, Peru also.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Check out Huanchaco, Peru also.
I used this website to compare Shreveport (where I plan to live at least the next 30 years, as I’m going to be building my next egg during that time) to Arica, Huanchaco, and Manizales, all three of which have appealing weather. Of those three, I’m partial to Huanchaco. I may prefer a light wetsuit during the coldest time of the year when I swim, and I may prefer an air conditioner the hottest two months of the year to help me sleep at night (I like it cold when I sleep—and start having insomnia when its warmer than 70 inside) but for the most part, Huanchaco seems as close to my ideal climate as I could possibly get. It also seems reasonably cheap, so my pemsion would hopefully stretch far enough I wouldn’t need to worry about work in my old age, and could just enjoy the pleasant weather.

In the meantime, I’ll try to take a few trips to these places to see if they would be good future retirement spots. I’m not fond of Shreveport, but my job is here, so I’m stuck here for the time being.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:35 PM

735 posts, read 851,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Arica used to be in Peru, up to the War of the Pacific in 1879-83. In a world where the results of that war are different from real life, Arica might still be in Peru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or