U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 15 days ago)

4,947 posts, read 4,516,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It is an interesting place. I encourage you to visit. I'm partial to the northern mountains - the Sangre de Cristo, Jemez, Pecos Wilderness, the southern San Juans.

The entire state seems amazing. I have always wanted to see the mountains and also Chaco canyon. One of my favorite movies as a kid was young guns. I read about the Lincoln county cattle wars. Its a place I always wanted to visit. lol

The Southwest in general is an amazing place. I have driven through Nevada, Utah and Colorado. It is easily one of the most Beautiful regions I have seen anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,599,453 times
Chaco canyon is the only place in the world where I have actually felt a tangible - how to say it - sense of some presence from the past, some sort of spirirtual thing. And I'm not a believer in that kind of stuff - I'm not religious - but I definitely felt something in Chaco Canyon.

Only a very small portion of Chaco has been excavated. If you find yourself someday in that valley, you will see a bunch of "hills" spread around the valley. Those hills are actually unexcavated ruins that, during the course of hundreds of years, were gradually covered over with dirt and sand by the wind.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 15 days ago)

4,947 posts, read 4,516,813 times
Is there a lot cattle ranching in New Mexico?

Old 08-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is there a lot cattle ranching in New Mexico?
Not particularly. At least not in the northern half of the state. I'm less familiar with the southern half, especially the Texas side, and less familiar with the eastern plains. There may be more out that way, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM

aab7855: Here's an interview with another guy from northern NM. This guy is a famous runner. He's associated with Colorado, but he's actually from northern NM as he mentions in the video. I can still hear NM in his accent, but I think it's been diluted somewhat with all his world travels:

Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM

aab: with the previous two NM interviews, I'd be curious to hear what your students think? To them, these guys sound Mexican, right?

Old 08-08-2019, 04:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,993,208 times
Quote:
aab: with the previous two NM interviews, I'd be curious to hear what your students think? To them, these guys sound Mexican, right?
I certainly hear the second guy and he sounds very Mexican. The old man whose interview I shared with you? No, they said he sounded like nothing theyd heard before. I hear Canarian and Andaluz here and there...maybe Mexican vocabulary, but its rare for Mexicans to drop the -s like Canarians and Caribbean Spanish speakers do. Also, is it just me, or did he lisp the word "nacido" in the beginning? I think the Pablo Vigil guy has been exposed to the general Southwest US Spanish, and it shows...

I think Don Adonio is hanging on to an archaic dialect of Spanish that will, sadly, die out with his generation. Same thing is happening with Cajun French. Louisiana recruits Belgian, Quebecer and French teachers to work in K-6 schools to build on background knowledge of French, but administrators accept that theyll have to supplant the old variety (which is both 300 years old and evolved totally apart from Parisian French during all those years) for the international version of the language. Now Cajun English? Thats not going anywhere...and boy is that a trip. Its something like Spanglish, but the accent and grammar are so distinctive and its often spoken by people who cant even speak French anymore.

Huh, now Im starting to think that South Louisiana and Northern New Mexico have more in common than people realize.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:31 PM

13,256 posts, read 24,600,487 times
Quote:
aab7855: Here's an interview with another guy from northern NM. This guy is a famous runner. He's associated with Colorado, but he's actually from northern NM as he mentions in the video. I can still hear NM in his accent, but I think it's been diluted somewhat with all his world travels:

It's not important for him to be a ******. LOL (4:48)

Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Huh, now Im starting to think that South Louisiana and Northern New Mexico have more in common than people realize.
It certainly seems like it. You're educating me on things I never knew about Louisiana.

I'm not sure about that old guy. The second guy - Pablo Vigil - I think he moved to Denver when he was young so he might have picked up a more cosmopolitan way of speaking over there.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
It's not important for him to be a ******. LOL (4:48)
No, he's saying that he doesn't like to brag about his accomplishments. He doesn't feel it necessary to act like he's something special, even though he has done some impressive things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas