U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 03:24 AM

24,415 posts, read 17,855,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The RAE, based in Madrid and has a chapter in every country where Spanish is the official language and/or spoken by an important percentage of the people (ie. USA) has said on multiple occasions that every Spanish dialect in the Old World and in the New World is correct. Unlike most other languages, Spanish is one of the few that is actually 'govern' by a central governing body, in this case the RAE. It does takes suggestions from Spanish American countries (to name a region of the world) on the basis that the language is reflected by the people that speak it, but the final decision is made in Madrid.

Anyone that tries to say that there is a more 'correct' way of Spanish is either ignorant that all Spanish is correct or is outright lying. Obviously there are some dialects that some people may like and other they don't like, but all dialects are correct.
Spain itself has many dialects and languages. You’re totally correct here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
100%...but there are dialects that are more universally understood than others. A lot of it has to do with TV and what programs are transmitted in other countries, which of course will tune people´s ears toward them. I haven´t spent a lot of time in México, but thanks to the Simpsons dubbed in their variety of Spanish, La Rose de Guadalupe, etc. I really have no problem understanding them.

Telemark is a chain of call centers which handles customer service and sales calls all over the Spanish-speaking world. I know Movistar outsources them to handle a lot of their calls to customers in Spain, and guess where those centers are based? Colombia and Perú. There´s a reason why those call centers aren´t in, say, Chile or Cuba. Nothing wrong with those accents, but they´re simply less understood across the world.
Real life goes a lot further than tv or customer call centers. Practically speaking anywhere in the Spanish speaking world you need to attune yourself to the local Spanish. Including in professional situations.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 AM

Antonio gave the best advice. Sign up for Spanish classes in a Spanish speaking country. Accept that you will end up talking like the locals as you’re learning in one specific place.

There is no Spanish for the whole world.

Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM

6,101 posts, read 9,610,801 times
Just like in English, there's a proper Spanish with a neutral accent that everyone can understand. And then there are dialects and slang and different kinds of accents that people will have different degrees of difficulty to understand. A lot of words in Mexican and New Mexican dialects are based on Nahuatl. Nobody outside those regions understands them, so you wouldn't want international news programs broadcasting in those dialects.

In Northern New Mexico, not only is some of the vocabulary borrowed from Indian languages, but you hear people use the occasional ancient 16th century word like "noria" (the well you draw water from) and there's nobody else in the modern Spanish-speaking world who would undestand this usage of the word.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:15 PM

242 posts, read 317,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I´ll tell you how I did it...nothing is perfect and there are probably many other ways to go about this, but I can only share what I did and have you tweak it to how you live your life.

To start from scratch, software/applications are absolutely the best way to go.
<snip>
I took the plunge and bought Rosetta Stone, though I hear that the free app Duo Lingo is just as good if not better...I can´t give you a real timeline for how this first part is going to take, because everyone learns at a different pace...but you absolutely have to do this first to cover a lot of ground in a decent amount of time. Since I´m not familiar with Duo Lingo and its levels, I have to coach you using Rosetta Stone...study Levels 1 and 2 before you think about calling a tutor in your neighborhood or taking that trip overseas. If you live in the US and El Salvador interests you, buy the Latin American version of the software, not the Spain version...no-brainer.
<snip>
Also during this time (ending Level 1 and moving into Level 2) you need to add several more hours a week of media immersion. Do you have any Spanish language networks in your community? Univision, Telemundo, Azteca, etc are common names. Start watching the news every night if you can...newscasters have to speak clearly, without colloquialisms and slang, at a natural native speed but not super-fast.
<snip>
You just need to pound your head with the mechanics for a while, and once you´re able to flow and hold conversations with people, you can start to focus on different accents and trying to gravitate towards one over the other. Good luck! Don´t settle for anything less than 100% of your efforts!
💜
Lots of good advice. Thanks. Before I found this I just got a couple of apps. I studied a French in High school and college. Now I’m thinking about relocating to Ecuador. So I need to learn Spanish years later. Thanks again !! 💜

Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM

aab: I found a couple audio archives of people in Northern NM talking Spanish in the 1960s. You interested in hearing?

Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Did "Breaking Bad" bring in a lot of tourism to NM?
Just was with my nephew last week, I asked him this and he answer was "not really." That maybe there was a little bit of extra tourism, but it wasn't noticeable.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 19 days ago)

4,965 posts, read 4,526,753 times
I want to get down to NM soon. Chaco canyon is at the top of my list of places to visit.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I want to get down to NM soon. Chaco canyon is at the top of my list of places to visit.

Chaco
Bandelier
Santo Domingo pueblo

And while you're at it, I suggest driving through little towns like Peñasco, Trampas, Tres Piedras, and driving around the Navajo Reservation.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:47 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,995,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
aab: I found a couple audio archives of people in Northern NM talking Spanish in the 1960s. You interested in hearing?
Oh yeah bro, I´d love to. Should be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas