Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:37 PM

166 posts, read 97,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Troll alert. Same joker who's posting nonsense in India threads.

Still, it has sparked a useful discussion on how to learn a new language. It'll give me food for thought going forward, I kinda want to learn Chinese or Arabic.
Nobody believes you. You have no proof. I never even know they had an India thread here. I do find some Indian attractive though. Looks like you are the attention seeker here which makes you the troll.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:24 AM

107 posts, read 74,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
For Salvadoran, there are Spanish teachers in El Salvador that teach online. I had some of them.

Italki and Verbling are language learning sties to find these teachers.

Youtube will likely have Salvadoren slang.

As for Spanish in general, what is your level?

Sorry if I missed that.

why are you even paying attention to this guy, cant you see he is salvadorian and he speaks spanish he is a troll always asking stupid questions, he changes accounts too.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid911 View Post
why are you even paying attention to this guy, cant you see he is salvadorian and he speaks spanish he is a troll always asking stupid questions, he changes accounts too.

looks you are are another troll. I asked a question and that's it. I speak Spanish but not fluently obvious. Maybe I should go to your posts and call you a troll but I don't have time to waste to do that. Do something more productive with your time kid.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:44 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
I don't want to learn another country's Spanish. I am only interested in Salvadorian Spanish and nothing else.
This is BS. Nobody in their right mind ever seeks something like this.
Quote:
looks you are are another troll. I asked a question and that's it.
You asked a question nobody asks except people who want to post ridiculous questions on the internet.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
This is BS. Nobody in their right mind ever seeks something like this.

You asked a question nobody asks except people who want to post ridiculous questions on the internet.

how can I learn Spanish from a specific country? doesn't sound crazy or anything.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Quote:
This is true it would take concentration to retain the spanish sentence while trying to associate it with the meaning in the English, if you're not accustomed to hearing the former, I guess. Would the other way work better? English audio with Spanish subtitles?
It did for me...but after I was on a certain level. An example would be entire phrases that clearly can´t be directly translated or just need to be said a different way...I remember watching some movie on Netflix with my wife and they said, "Yeah, I got the hook up" talking about getting hooked up with a venue for a party or something. When the subtitles said, "Me dieron el contacto" I just figured...alright...that´s something I wouldn´t have been able to say before with ease.

Also obviously have picked up little vocabulary words here and there that are useful but hadn´t been common enough to pop up before.

It worked for me, but clearly everyone learns differently...I think what´s most important is whatever people are willing to do and devote real time to. Music and the news in Spanish do it for me more than movies, but movies might even be better tools for teaching.

Last edited by aab7855; 07-21-2019 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Quote:
I don't want to learn another country's Spanish. I am only interested in Salvadorian Spanish and nothing else.
Did you read what I wrote? I´m here assuming that you´re starting at close to zero, so you can´t really just focus that much on the Spanish of this one country. Later on go do a language study in San Salvador and start focusing on their movies, sure, but you need to focus on universal fundamentals of Spanish first.

I get props from people because it´s very clear that I learned Spanish in Colombia and can use the slang and at least get 1/2-3/4 of the accent down...but no one thinks I´m a native speaker once more than 10 words have come out of my mouth...if you obsess over one form of Spanish too much you´re just gonna let yourself down. Get to that intermediate level before you try to put on accents and slang.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Did you read what I wrote? I´m here assuming that you´re starting at close to zero, so you can´t really just focus that much on the Spanish of this one country. Later on go do a language study in San Salvador and start focusing on their movies, sure, but you need to focus on universal fundamentals of Spanish first.

I get props from people because it´s very clear that I learned Spanish in Colombia and can use the slang and at least get 1/2-3/4 of the accent down...but no one thinks I´m a native speaker once more than 10 words have come out of my mouth...if you obsess over one form of Spanish too much you´re just gonna let yourself down. Get to that intermediate level before you try to put on accents and slang.

I have a Salvadorian accent for some words but for others I have a Puerto Rican accent and that's probably due to living in Long Island even though the majority of Hispanics there were Salvadorians. I noticed some words I don't pronounce R's and replace them with L's. I only noticed this after my mom points it out. At the same time I don't even speak the Spanish language well so I use Spanglish and also end up making up words like Jennifer Lopez sometimes does. I went to El Salvador and they told me they can tell I'm not from there and that I sound American.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
This wouldn't work for native speakers of English who don't have an extensive grasp of Spanish yet. All they'll end up doing is reading the English subtitles, which may also be translated very differently from the original dialogue. Even now it's hard for me to pay attention like that...had it been years ago, forget it.

English movies with Spanish subititles are much easier to pay attention to, and Spanish with Spanish subtitles can catch one's listening skills up with their reading skills...no easy task but extremely important.
Yea I've been watching Spanish shows with English subtitles for years and the translations can be off ,sometimes they may be word for word.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Yea I've been watching Spanish shows with English subtitles for years and the translations can be off ,sometimes they may be word for word.

the bad thing about these Spanish channels I get on my TV is that they the majority are Mexicans actors and reporters so it's not a good way to help me with the accent I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas