U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:35 PM

4,845 posts, read 4,480,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
I don't listen to that brainless, too basic garbage rap. I prefer this.
LOL thats what salvadorean rap sounds like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM

213 posts, read 300,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL thats what salvadorean rap sounds like.
Since technically its imitating Westcoast "chicano" rap- I'd say its what that sounds like. Outside of New York, Latin hip hop is just all around bad anyway.

In any case. This has been a pointless thread of trolling.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Since technically its imitating Westcoast "chicano" rap- I'd say its what that sounds like. Outside of New York, Latin hip hop is just all around bad anyway.

No not really. There are plenty of good Latin artist that came out of the west coast. Cypess hill, mellow man ace, kid frost, funkdoobiest etc etc. I agree thoug a lot of cholo/chicano rap sounds terrible. There is a lot more than that on the west coast though.

Not at all latin rappers from NY are good at least not anymore. Takeshi 69 or what ever his name is straight ass and hes from Brooklyn.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 07-25-2019 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 10:25 PM

213 posts, read 300,062 times
Cypress Hill are Cuban. I'll give them all the credit in the world, but keeping it trill. Chicano/cholo rap is atrociously bad.

This thread should be locked. Utterly pointless discussion.

Last edited by Scientific; 07-25-2019 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 03:17 PM

6,003 posts, read 9,556,645 times

Last edited by 80skeys; 07-26-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 08:38 PM

cool ^^

Old 07-27-2019, 01:17 PM

Check out one of his poems.
References to local places:

"Burque" = Albuquerque
"San Jo" = San Jose, one of the barrios in the South Valley located on Broadway street
"Tingly Beach" = a city park in Albuquerque

Slang and words you might not be familiar with:
"bronca" = pelea
"ranfla" = carro
"vato" = hombre
"pinta" = la carcel
"pedo" = "situacion problematica" (can also mean to be drunk, ie "andar bien pedo")
"la Raza" = you all know what that means

Also "dando esquina", maybe you don't know what that means, it means "to have your back". This is a typical thing to say in the barrio, your friends in the neighborhood will tell you "te damos esquina" meaning that if other guys cause you trouble, you get jumped, your friends will be there for you.

Last edited by 80skeys; 07-27-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 AM

Hey I was watching news yesterday on the El Paso shooting and came across this interview, which reminded me of our discussion here about accents. This guy is a perfect example of someone who doesn't know how to speak Spanish but the few words he knows, he pronounces them correctly because he obviously grew up in a dominantly Mexican/Hispanic environment. So he acquired the appropriate accent. Moreso, he speaks English with the typical Chicano accent that you hear throughout the Southwest.

https://www.telemundo48elpaso.com/vi...516611311.html

Old 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM

992 posts, read 1,982,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Hey I was watching news yesterday on the El Paso shooting and came across this interview, which reminded me of our discussion here about accents. This guy is a perfect example of someone who doesn't know how to speak Spanish but the few words he knows, he pronounces them correctly because he obviously grew up in a dominantly Mexican/Hispanic environment. So he acquired the appropriate accent. Moreso, he speaks English with the typical Chicano accent that you hear throughout the Southwest.

https://www.telemundo48elpaso.com/vi...516611311.html
I donīt even hear correct pronunciation though..thatīs broken Spanglish with all kinds of gender and conjugation errors, etc. Even Beto speaks better than that

When I move back Iīm going to try hard not to assume anyoneīs language skills or preference on visual appearance, because in the 21st Century with all the diverse backgrounds we have, thatīs unfair to do...though still very common.

This very topic can be distressing for Hispanics who donīt have a good command of Spanish. They often get made fun of by their own friends and relatives. Thereīs even a movement in public schools seeking to address this issue...the courses are called Heritage Spanish and they try to focus on the types of errors that this guy was making, as well as teaching literature, poetry, history and music of Latin America. Itīs got my attention as an interesting field to pursue.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I donīt even hear correct pronunciation though..
He is pronouncing words/syllables correctly. Ignore the grammar and the verbs he doens't know how to conjugate. Listen to the words he does know - for example "ahorita" and "balazo". He pronounces them perfectly.
Quote:
This very topic can be distressing for Hispanics who donīt have a good command of Spanish.
I personally feel that their grandparents/parents should have brought them up in Spanish. Being bilingual is a great thing. It opens up a lot of doors. You can go to any Spanish speaking country (of which there are a lot), and get along just fine. In the neighborhood I grew up in, about half the people were fluent and the other half weren't. For those that weren't, i think they just figured "they're living in the U.S. so why bother."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas