Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:04 PM

288 posts, read 433,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Sure that's fine but there is no need to bash Mexicans.
Are you talking about what the OP has posted in the past? I wasnt focused on that, I know he's a troll. I mean, you did post those videos earlier. What was the point of that?

Quote:
Culturally speaking Salvadoreans are much closer to Mexicans. Salvadoreans are part of the Mesoamerican area
What does that have to do with NY born and raised Salvadorans?

Quote:
WTF? Is that what you think of when you think of Mexicans and Salvadoreans?
I'm posing that question to you. You think they're insecure because they adopt what Latinos in New York do. How should they look and act like?

Quote:
You contradict yourself, but what ever rocks your boat.
I dont think youre catching the irony in what you posted. Youre as bad as the op.

Last edited by Scientific; 08-06-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 11:08 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
My best Spanish lessons have been from marrying into a Hispanic family.

Learning to make Pupusas is a nice side benefit, though.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
bash Mexicans? If youre talking about the SoCal comment. That doesnt represent all Mexicans. I mean, you did post those videos earlier too. Im Just saying.

No I wasn't talking about the socal comment. I was talking about the OP who has come on here and bashed Mexicans and said salvadoreans are nothing like Mexicans and that there is no Mexican influence in el Salvador which is complete nonsense. My wife is salvadorean and I have spent months there at a time.

I was once told by a salvadorean from long island that he hated when people confused them for Mexicans and that they were nothing like them. When I pointed out the cultural similarities he was incomplete denial and went on to say they are much more like Dominicans and puerto ricans, which is completely laughable. The OP is one of many examples.

Not all Salvadoreans are like this. In my experience it seems to be mostly the ones in the North East. Salvis here in Canada and California don't seem to be so angry/hateful towards Mexicans and take more pride in their own culture.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No I wasn't talking about the socal comment. I was talking about the OP who has come on here and bashed Mexicans and said salvadoreans are nothing like Mexicans and that there is no Mexican influence in el Salvador which is complete nonsense. My wife is salvadorean and I have spent months there at a time.

I was once told by a salvadorean from long island that he hated when people confused them for Mexicans and that they were nothing like them. When I pointed out the cultural similarities he was incomplete denial and went on to say they are much more like Dominicans and puerto ricans, which is completely laughable. The OP is one of many examples.

Not all Salvadoreans are like this. In my experience it seems to be mostly the ones in the North East. Salvis here in Canada and California don't seem to be so angry/hateful towards Mexicans and take more pride in their own culture.
I dunno...I’ll go out on a limb and quote my Cali-raised Salvi wife as saying Mexicans are Chuntis. Yeah, there’s a lot of humor as a subtext, but I don’t think that came outa nowhere.

At the end of the day, she’s with any Latino in politics here, but I don’t think it’s as strictly unified as a cracka like me might otherwise think.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I dunno...I’ll go out on a limb and quote my Cali-raised Salvi wife as saying Mexicans are Chuntis. Yeah, there’s a lot of humor as a subtext, but I don’t think that came outa nowhere.

At the end of the day, she’s with any Latino in politics here, but I don’t think it’s as strictly unified as a cracka like me might otherwise think.
No, probably not unified. But salvis are culturally much closer to Mexicans than they are Dominicans or Puerto Ricans. I have only heard Mexicans use the word "chunti".

Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
No, probably not unified. But salvis are culturally much closer to Mexicans than they are Dominicans or Puerto Ricans. I have only heard Mexicans use the word "chunti".
She mighta picked it up from Mexicans. Southern California has Latin folks from all over, after all.

Either way, I agree, and I’d have to ask her for more details.

FWIW, I love Latin culture. Be proud, we have a lot we can stand to learn.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:

It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. You didn't catch my edit on time.

I have family in New York and California. I've traveled between them, and from my experience? I've been told there was rift and tension in Los Angeles between Central Americans and Mexicans for a time. Those days are fading, but they were there. I never heard that about Salvis and Dominicans back East. Personally, I dont like using anecdotes as blanket generalizations, and applying them.

But I dont know what a "real" Salvadoran or Honduran should look or act like. If they're talking about the food? I'd agree and say they are more culturally linked to their Caribbean cousins. Everything else is more alike to Mexico, but thats up to their interpretation. My point is, you cant expect anyone to look or act a certain way, just because of their roots. They're going to adopt what's around them. Just sounds like you took an issue because of some personal experiences, which are different than the ones Ive had.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:

. If they're talking about the food? I'd agree and say they are more culturally linked to their Caribbean cousins..
You can't be serious. Tortillas? Tamales? Chocolate? Frijoles revueltos? etc etc...

Old 08-07-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
You can't be serious. Tortillas? Tamales? Chocolate? Frijoles revueltos?
Plantian, pork, yucca, mondongo, and sopa de coco? Theyre shared between those regions. Even the pasteles(empandadas) are called the same. in DR they have rice and beans dish that is very similar to Salvi casamiento. And Tamales are everywhere- so you can split hairs on the ones from Oxaca being similar to the ones from Colombia. The tortillas are so different I dont know why theyre even compared.

Ive been to Honduras, El Salvador, PR, and DR. I see the simalrities whether you dont.

Last edited by Scientific; 08-07-2019 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Plantian, pork, yucca, mondongo, and sopa de coco? Theyre shared between those regions. Even the pasteles(arepas) are called the same. in DR they have rice and beans dish that is very similar to Salvi casamiento. And Tamales are everywhere- so you can split hairs on the ones from Oxaca being similar to the ones from Colombia. The tortillas are so different I dont know why theyre even compared.

Ive been to Honduras, El Salvador, PR, and DR. I see the simalrities whether you dont.
Those similarities are wide spread. But the bottom line is Salvadorean food is still much closer to Mexican food. It is in essence Mesoamerican food. El salvador has no connection to the Caribbean, it is the only Central American country that has no shore line on the Caribbean sea. The original people that inhabited El Salvador spoke Nahuat which comes from Mexico.

Casamiento is also eaten in Mexico and all through out Central America, it is called gallo pinto in Nicaragua and Costa Rica. In El Salvador people eat tortillas almost at every meal, they are not that different from Southern Mexico and the rest of Central America. They have been eaten the region since before the colonization of the area. Pupusas are very similar to Mexican gorditas.

Platano is also commonly eaten in Southern mexico and Guatemala and it is always and only eaten ripe! Mondongo is eaten in many countries. Pasteles are called dobladitas in Mexico and Guatemala.

Pork yucca all eaten Southern Mexico and Central America.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 08-07-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas