U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:26 AM

451 posts, read 586,189 times

Advertisements

I’ll say this about Salvadoran food: when I first was getting to know my wife, I was kinda naively stunned that there were differences. El Salvador isn’t Mexico, or the Caribbean, or anything else. It’s its own thing, based on some common roots.

Still can’t do platanos Fritos though. Or platanos anything.

Can anyone explain to me where the pinto vs black bean thing comes from? Or corn vs flour tortillas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:27 AM

214 posts, read 300,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
But the bottom line is Salvadorean food is still much closer to Mexican food.
I dont get a Mexican vibe when I eat in Central America. Thats just me. Mexican cuisine has it own unique palette, which makes it different, and imo the best all around food of any place in the world. And yeah, the tropic regions of Mexico eat all of that, but those dishes are still distinctly Mexican.

I'm feeling as if you really want these people to associate themselves with Mexico. It goes back to who you've had those experiences with.

Old Today, 12:28 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 15 hours ago)

4,860 posts, read 4,480,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’ll say this about Salvadoran food: when I first was getting to know my wife, I was kinda naively stunned that there were differences. El Salvador isn’t Mexico, or the Caribbean, or anything else. It’s its own thing, based on some common roots.
Common roots with Mexico. Corn Tortillas, tamales, pupusas, chocolate, etc etc...Sure its different. Even in Mexico food differs from state to state, but salvadorean food in essence is Mesoamerican food.

Old Today, 12:31 AM

I have never seen tamales in her cuisine? At least not beyond elotes.

Old Today, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I have never seen tamales in her cuisine? At least not beyond elotes.
I just bought about 10 salvadorean tamales a few hours ago. Not as Good as Guatemalan, nacatamal or Southern Mexican but its all I can get right now. lol Still pretty good.

Old Today, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I just bought about 10 salvadorean tamales a few hours ago. Not as Good as Guatemalan, nacatamal or Southern Mexican but its all I can get right now. lol Still pretty good.
She’s gonna have to make some, and teach me, too!

Old Today, 12:50 AM

Quote:
She’s gonna have to make some, and teach me, too!
Yeah man, tamales are a must eat!

I have to admit, I love salvadorean pupusas. It is probably in my top five favorite things to eat. I love them with a lot of "curtido" on them.

Old Today, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah man, tamales are a must eat!

I have to admit, I love salvadorean pupusas. It is probably in my top five favorite things to eat. I love them with a lot of "curtido" on them.
Pupusas are a fam fav to make and eat. I don’t know any kid who doesn’t wanna play with some masa.

Everyone bonds over food.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,982,351 times
Lots of Hondurans in the New Orleans area...more than Mexicans or any other group. Their restaurants tend to also serve pupusas and the Nicaraguan hard-hitter chicharrón con yuquitas

This plate though gets me every time...though eating it pretty often would be a big-time health hazard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4vN20IblvM

What unifies the cuisine of these three countries, at least by the time their dishes are served in the same hole in the wall joints in Louisiana, is the savory pickled cabbage salad either on the side or on top of the main course. Honduran baleadas are also on point, waaayyy better than quesadillas if you ask me.

There is a new Guatemalan restaurant in New Orleans that I haven´t checked out yet, but it´s on the list for next time I visit. There seem to be more dishes with pre-Columbian roots, like they serve a turkey, chayote and pumpkin stew which I´m dying to try.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

6,019 posts, read 9,556,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
I dont think youre catching the irony in what you posted. Youre as bad as the op.
Hey the OP is a goof and a troll. But UrbanLuis is not. He's a guy who's genuinely interested in the culture. I think he's of Hispanic descent himself if I'm not mistaken.
Quote:
She mighta picked it up from Mexicans. Southern California has Latin folks from all over, after all.
SoCal is dominantly Mexican. For every 5000 Mexicans there might be one Latino from someplace else.
Quote:
I've been told there was rift and tension in Los Angeles between Central Americans and Mexicans for a time.
Hell, there's rift between Mexicans from different neighborhoods.
Quote:
And Tamales are everywhere- so you can split hairs on the ones from Oxaca being similar to the ones from Colombia.
Mexican tamales are nothing like Colombian tamales.
(by the way I'm not bashing you, just clarifying this point.)
Quote:
Can anyone explain to me where the pinto vs black bean thing comes from? Or corn vs flour tortillas?
Corn and pinto are northern MX / southwest U.S. staple crops that the native Americans had going for a long time prior to European arrival. All I can tell you about black beans was that when I was growing up everything was pinto. I never saw a black bean until I was in my twenties, so unlikely it's native to the region I mentioned. Wheat based flour likely introduced by the Europeans but I'm not sure, so maybe someone can clarify.

FYI Mexican food is quite different from north to south Mexico. South Mexico is a little bit "tropical". Northern MX is substantially desert. Different foods, different ways of preparing them.
Quote:
Tamales have been a staple dish for forever in New Mexico as well. In New Mexico they are prepared in outdoor earthen ovens, such as the one in the attached photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
savory pickled cabbage salad either
That's something you'll never see in New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas