Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:17 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

The challenging part is listening to Spanish speakers. I can ramble on in Spanish like there's no tomorrow, but, but, but, to listen to I fall flat on my face.

Yes, DVD's with Spanish subtitles is a good start, and then move on to Spanish Audio, available on some DVD's, to increase your listening skills.

It's been said that to learn a foreign language you need to relax the mind first. When sober, lots of pauses and hesitations, but give me a couple stiff drinks and I'm off to the races! The mind is relaxed. I had a friend, in his 60's, who took up French in college. Many years have past, and when he's had a couple of Martini's, he can remember it all and speak it. Interesting!

Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes, DVD's with Spanish subtitles is a good star
No. DVD's with English subtitles. Watch Spanish movies (movies or TV series made in Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina) and turn on English subtitles.
I guess what you're saying would also work, although in a different way. So, maybe take both approaches.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You're learning to speak it how we speak it here in California. ;-) ... Lo vas a aprender bien how to mix the languages, chingón.

Seriously though rent yourself some Spanish movies with English subtitles. Like I said I've known people from different parts of the world who learned how to speak English just by doing that. Same thing will work for you with Spanish.
I will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The challenging part is listening to Spanish speakers. I can ramble on in Spanish like there's no tomorrow, but, but, but, to listen to I fall flat on my face.

[COLOR="Navy"]When I was younger, and throughout lifef, I've had Spanish speaking friends, so I did catch on easily, still can pick up some things they are saying along the way. This program I'm using does speak out a lot of sentences and I have to write what it speaks and it's quite like how you would hear a native language speaker talk. Thankfully, they provide a button so I am able to slow it down so I can catch the subtleties. They also have me speak out the words and sentences, I'm running about 65/35 in my favor the more I go along. I already know some words and phrases from my past friendships, but, you know how that goes mostly, words that shouldn't be spoken out loud, but too some basic phrases and words. like sit down see you tomorrow and such, not so much the spelling of many, just by ear.[/color]

Yes, DVD's with Spanish subtitles is a good start, and then move on to Spanish Audio, available on some DVD's, to increase your listening skills.

It's been said that to learn a foreign language you need to relax the mind first. When sober, lots of pauses and hesitations, but give me a couple stiff drinks and I'm off to the races! The mind is relaxed. I had a friend, in his 60's, who took up French in college. Many years have past, and when he's had a couple of Martini's, he can remember it all and speak it. Interesting!
LOL, but do agree with the first part relaxing is key, but not my best attribute.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
No. DVD's with English subtitles. Watch Spanish movies (movies or TV series made in Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina) and turn on English subtitles.
I guess what you're saying would also work, although in a different way. So, maybe take both approaches.
This wouldn't work for native speakers of English who don't have an extensive grasp of Spanish yet. All they'll end up doing is reading the English subtitles, which may also be translated very differently from the original dialogue. Even now it's hard for me to pay attention like that...had it been years ago, forget it.

English movies with Spanish subititles are much easier to pay attention to, and Spanish with Spanish subtitles can catch one's listening skills up with their reading skills...no easy task but extremely important.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:00 PM

3,688 posts, read 2,409,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
but Salvadorian spanish with the accent and the slang from home living in the US?
For Salvadoran, there are Spanish teachers in El Salvador that teach online. I had some of them.

Italki and Verbling are language learning sties to find these teachers.

Youtube will likely have Salvadoren slang.

As for Spanish in general, what is your level?

Sorry if I missed that.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 PM

166 posts, read 97,384 times
Quote:

I don't want to learn another country's Spanish. I am only interested in Salvadorian Spanish and nothing else.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:56 PM

166 posts, read 97,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
For Salvadoran, there are Spanish teachers in El Salvador that teach online. I had some of them.

Italki and Verbling are language learning sties to find these teachers.

Youtube will likely have Salvadoren slang.

As for Spanish in general, what is your level?

Sorry if I missed that.

Spanglish, for regular Spanish below average since I don't pronounce words correctly and sometimes end up making up words

Old 07-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
This wouldn't work for native speakers of English who don't have an extensive grasp of Spanish yet. All they'll end up doing is reading the English subtitles, which may also be translated very differently from the original dialogue.
This is true it would take concentration to retain the spanish sentence while trying to associate it with the meaning in the English, if you're not accustomed to hearing the former, I guess. Would the other way work better? English audio with Spanish subtitles?

Old 07-20-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I don't want to learn another country's Spanish. I am only interested in Salvadorian Spanish and nothing else.
Troll alert. Same joker who's posting nonsense in India threads.

Still, it has sparked a useful discussion on how to learn a new language. It'll give me food for thought going forward, I kinda want to learn Chinese or Arabic.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:12 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Some suggestions

Quote:
You can look for TV or movies or radio programming originating from El Salvador. If those have Spanish subtitles (or English, when you're just starting out), so much the better. Online newspapers & magazines out of El Salvador. There are likely websites originating in El Salvador you can converse on too.

In order to be able to converse, though, you'll have to eventually meet face-to-face with Salvadorans & interact with them. That can come later, once you have some confidence in your Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas