U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM

1,313 posts, read 790,906 times

Advertisements

We went to Jamaica a few months ago on an all-inclusive trip to Jamaica. EVERYTHING was top notch, except the customer service. It seemed like much of the staff wasn't as welcoming as they could have been. There were definitely some good staff members who went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable, but they were unfortunately few and far between.

We want to visit another island destination on an all-inclusive trip again soon, but we want better service this time around. Is there anywhere with better service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM

5,495 posts, read 8,162,236 times
Customer service is not a forte in this hemisphere outside of the United States or Canada. It has nothing to do that people refuse to give a fake smile or act very friendly, but simply people are more natural because they aren't asked to be fake with customers. It can be shocked for people used to living in the USA and then they find themselves at a place where people usually don't smile for no legitimate reason.

There are times that a person does wonders, such as being ready to pay at a store and apparently the cashier is talking on the phone and you, the customer, is suppose to wait until they are done. In many countries people are slower, you notice this in the restaurants where the waiters take their time with just about everything. In the US its common that a waiter is attending customers almost the moment they walk through the door until they ask for the check. Of course, the US custom of tipping has some effect in that, which isn't always a cultural practice in other places. In the US "bad" customer service is either some form of discrimination or the waiters is very bad, but in many other countries it has nothing to do with that because that's the norm more often then not. In the Caribbean islands its often referred to as "island time" and it does means slower.

There is a difference in being genuine and some cultures is more prone for people to smile/sing/be visibly in a good mood, but it has nothing to do with the customers and everything to do they feel like doing those things because that's how they are.

Generally hotels that are American chains (JW Marriott, Embassy Suites, Hard Rock, etc) the American custom of good customer service is more apparent than in non-American places, mostly because of the clientele which often is Americans either entirely or mostly. This is not the norm though and even there a difference with the US is noted on this respect.

Dominican Republic is quite genuine, but its also very genuine in Jamaica too. Puerto Rico is more like in the US, though there is still a difference from the US. Cancún, Mexico is American dominated so I guess its better there for Americans that focus a lot on customer service, but there is also some difference there.

Generally, don't expect people to be like in the USA when a person travels abroad. Everything changes, including the meaning of certain actions. What in the US could be an insult, in other places it means nothing and is the norm. It may be a short flight, but believe me that everything changes from the way it looks to how the people are.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,590,757 times
All inclusive tourist encapments void of any soul. YAWN! How boooring.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM

7,858 posts, read 2,529,974 times
The Cayman Islands. Customer service there is top-notch. The islands are upscale and clean. Beaches are lovely.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM

12,492 posts, read 18,597,393 times
I think OP is looking for an all-inclusive resort recommendation, which I think would vary by company not necessarily by destination. They are somewhat cookie-cutter and generic.
Not for my by the way, as the other poster says it's somewhat souless and you feel cut off from the unique identity of each country. But to each his own.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM

692 posts, read 928,435 times
Can't speak for other islands but when I was at an All-Inclusive resort in the Bahamas, I was treated in a more informal and relaxed manner and an extra effort was made toward me. I went down to breakfast early one morning, two waiters were coming around to various tables filling cups. There was a elderly British couple and the waiters were formal and said to them "Coffee or
Tea sir/maam?".

I was next, they got to my table "Hey man, how you doing? ( both guys sat down and pulled out chairs talked for about 10
mins.) in addition to asking me "Coffee or Tea?".

We were scheduled to go on an excursion to a spot on the island and the shuttle was supposed to arrive at 10:00pm., he did
not come until 10:50pm. I thought o.k. island time. Some people thought I was Bahamian because some would talk to me in
Bahamian dialect.

Old Today, 05:21 AM

7,858 posts, read 2,529,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think OP is looking for an all-inclusive resort recommendation, which I think would vary by company not necessarily by destination. They are somewhat cookie-cutter and generic.
Not for my by the way, as the other poster says it's somewhat souless and you feel cut off from the unique identity of each country. But to each his own.
Maybe but all-around the Cayman Islands is better, whether or not one is in an all-inclusive resort. From the resorts to the grocery to the coffee shop. It appears that the Caymans have made good customer service a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas