U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM

752 posts, read 500,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Almost no one can afford to rent their own place, at least in a city, working a minimum wage job in the US. Sure, if Juan José is going to sleep on his uncle´s sofa in New Jersey for 6 months to not pay rent and go back to Colombia after, fine...

Or do like the Central Americans do and cram 12 people in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house...

I know Colombians who have done well in Panamá and Ecuador because it´s dollarized, the wages are much higher than Colombia, and the cost of living is either comparable or even better (price of transportation and gasoline in Ecuador is way better, for example).

Most Colombians in Chile have made a name for themselves as laborers, but I know professionals (secretaries, graphic designers, etc.) who have done quite well there.

With today´s political climate and cost of living, I wouldn´t risk living in the shadows in the States, but that´s just me.

Panama yes, Ecuador, no. It isn't for anything that a large % of Ecuadorians than Colombians are in hunger, and Ecuador has a higher poverty rate. Ecuador is dollarized, that's all, but the prices there are in dollars too. In dollars, it's much more expensive now than Colombia. That's why they are flocking Colombian town borders to buy things, now that COP is weak. Price of gasoline is just one of the few things that is cheaper there, and it's just because Ecuador spents a lot of money subsidizing it, while Colombia puts taxes on it. Subsidizing gas benefits car owners, it's regressive.

I know there are some Colombians in these countries, but the US has much more opportunities, the job market is way better. If it was for the money, a Colombian in Panama or Chile would be in the US or Canada, but it's much harder to get there.

the median household income for Colombian-Unitedstasians is USD$48,000 (source). the median household income in Chile (year) is USD15.000. The difference is abysmal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The point is would you rather practice your proffesion legally and safely in a neighboring country, or live illegaly in the USA? The US has higher wages than most countries, but illegals don't get payed very well.
informal employment rate for all LatAm countries is between 30-70%.

Last edited by joacocanal; 09-05-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 AM

1,448 posts, read 576,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So I am an American and I think that we have it easy over here compared to the eastern hemisphere. Here is a question for the Latinos. Why has there not been a serious movement towards unification?

Major problems that typically are mentioned are absent on this hemisphere. Belligerent states (e.g. Russia), terrorism (e.g. ISIS/Boko Haram), and multitudes of languages are not present in anywhere near the degree as it is found in the rest of the world. In fact it seems that speaking 2-3 languages is practical for an average person. With 3 languages you could easily talk to virtually everyone on the entire western hemisphere. But even Spanish alone will get you from Mexico down to Argentina. So why haven't people ever considered the notion of uniting to make a stronger union? If Europe is considering it with the European Union, Africa is considering it with the East African Federation & others, why no consideration in Latin America?

Would you want a union with neighboring countries? What would be the hangovers?
Latin America is HUGE.

These countries have differences in many ways.

Colombia is not the same as Honduras, Argentina is not the same or similar to Mexico.

Local control. More local control is better, IMO.

You can look up Simon Bolivar's attempt for a larger nation called "Grand Colombia."

There are certain cultural differences as well (although of course some similarities).

Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,009,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Panama yes, Ecuador, no. It isn't for anything that a large % of Ecuadorians than Colombians are in hunger, and Ecuador has a higher poverty rate. Ecuador is dollarized, that's all, but the prices there are in dollars too. In dollars, it's much more expensive now than Colombia. That's why they are flocking Colombian town borders to buy things, now that COP is weak. Price of gasoline is just one of the few things that is cheaper there, and it's just because Ecuador spents a lot of money subsidizing it, while Colombia puts taxes on it. Subsidizing gas benefits car owners, it's regressive.

I know there are some Colombians in these countries, but the US has much more opportunities, the job market is way better. If it was for the money, a Colombian in Panama or Chile would be in the US or Canada, but it's much harder to get there.

the median household income for Colombian-Unitedstasians is USD$48,000 (source). the median household income in Chile (year) is USD15.000. The difference is abysmal.
No, certainly you can make more money in the US, but I still think you´re missing my point here. To a Latin American person who has a degree which will be recognized in another country in the region, and if they can get a visa no problem, it´s better than that person working without papers with no chance of them using their studies in the US.

See what I´m saying? I notice a large segment of Colombians who lived "up there" without papers in some Hispanic ghetto in the Northeast and they come back complaining about how awful it was, what did you expect? No work visa, no good jobs and pay.

That statistic you used about income clearly only applies to dual citizens living in the US with all the paperwork and validated professional degrees to go with it.

BIG difference.

Last edited by aab7855; 09-06-2019 at 08:10 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 06:44 AM

22 posts, read 350 times
the US has much more opportunities

Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 AM

218 posts, read 305,291 times
Central America should be. These countries are in economic silos, with each having strengths & weaknesses. I think I remember that Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, & Costa Rica was close to uniting in the 20s. Imagine that.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:23 PM
FBF

592 posts, read 706,797 times
That is like asking why all anglosphere combine to be one country?.....There are national differences in food and customs that they only thibg they have in common is Spanish and dominant religion being Roman Catholic.

South Americans are also most likely to be agnostic or atheist.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 PM

752 posts, read 500,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
No, certainly you can make more money in the US, but I still think you´re missing my point here. To a Latin American person who has a degree which will be recognized in another country in the region, and if they can get a visa no problem, it´s better than that person working without papers with no chance of them using their studies in the US.

not really. for one, doctors have to get an exam to become recognized as such in Chile. Besides, it's not even that easy for locals to get a job in their field, let alone for foreigners. Latin American countries are overall poor and don't have that many formal jobs. Chile, Uruguay or Panama are in better shape but their economy is relatively small, USA economy is waaaaaay larger and much more developed. Argentina, Brazil or Mexico have had too many economic crisis in the past 30 years.

Quote:
See what I´m saying? I notice a large segment of Colombians who lived "up there" without papers in some Hispanic ghetto in the Northeast and they come back complaining about how awful it was, what did you expect? No work visa, no good jobs and pay.
I don't know how frequent is that but maybe there are other reasons: climate, they couldn't learn English, sociocultural shock etc.

The reality is that despite language, legal and geographic barriers, there are much more Colombian-Americanians (as much as 2 million people according to some estimations) than Colombians in Argentina or even Chile.

Quote:
That statistic you used about income clearly only applies to dual citizens living in the US with all the paperwork and validated professional degrees to go with it.
No, it's about all Colombian Americanians, despite of their legal status.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:07 PM

480 posts, read 575,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Dude, pick any country in Latin America and there are so many factions who are vehemently opposed to eachother, fighting eachother. Nobody is capable of getting along within a single country. There's no way a "Unified Latin America" will ever happen.
if england and germany can after two huge wars... south america has been peaceful in comparison, though not like us swedes, we and the swiss are masters

Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 PM

532 posts, read 388,448 times
The Europeans are trying to unite to be relevant in the world because they know that they cannot contend in any serious way with the US & China. Africans are pushing more towards unity to have a better future for themselves. The Indians have a bright future if they keep going. I just wonder why a region which has less violent conflict between its members would not take serious the notion of unity. Of course countries are always different. However it seems that it is usually beneficial to unite so that your way of life can be bolstered. Otherwise Latin Americans will always have an incentive to go to America to find a good job and the whole American dream. Why not try to make the dream happen at home? At present there is no serious way that ~600 million Latinos of which there is no seriously dominant country can contend in the future. Wouldn't you want a space program? New inventions? Anything? That won't happen in many disparate countries, especially when you consider the global competition.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:22 AM

5,051 posts, read 4,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
The Europeans are trying to unite to be relevant in the world because they know that they cannot contend in any serious way with the US & China. ........ Why not try to make the dream happen at home? At present there is no serious way that ~600 million Latinos of which there is no seriously dominant country can contend in the future. .
America is the domininant country in the region. The fact you look at Latin america as entirely seperate region is quite telling. Europe is made of many countries that all speak many different languages. in the Americas there really is only two or three major languages. At the end of the day I do agree with you. There should be more unity among Latinos. Look at Anglo North America, a massive land mass and it is made up of only two countries, that have pretty close cooperation and are both very economically successful and have the longest unprotected border in the world. Latin America a bunch of smaller countries all seperate and pulling their own way. Sometimes on the brink of war with each other. Brazil stands out but it still has a long way to reach complete development. At this point if Mexico has not been able to completely capitalize on being next door to the US like Canada has it doesn't look good for the future. They have had ample time. Much of Northern Central America is a hopless and lost region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or