Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 01:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,385,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I haven't heard about it much in the news. Hope damage is none or minimal.
So far NONE in Belize
ONE each in Nicaragua, El Salvador
12 in Guatemala
13 in Paraguay
16 each in Cuba, Jamaica
89 in Costa Rica
137 in Panama

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
So far NONE in Belize
ONE each in Nicaragua, El Salvador
12 in Guatemala
13 in Paraguay
16 each in Cuba, Jamaica
89 in Costa Rica
137 in Panama

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
I hope Belize is taking proactive steps to keep it that way.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,017,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
So far NONE in Belize
Not trolling at all...with all due respect...

We might want to say "So far, no TESTING in Belize".

Old 03-20-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
I have a trip to Cartagena with my girlfriend June 2nd. Should I cancel/post-pone?
I would write that trip off. You´ll get your money back or use the tickets for another time.

Just a side note, any person who is obviously foreign right now at least here in Pereira will be looked at with terrified stares from people. All 14 of my North American coworkers confirmed this same thing. I have the linguistic abilities to talk up a storm and be super nice to people like the cashiers and put everyone in line with me at ease...some of my co-workers don´t. If someone thinks you just got off a plane right now from any other country, they´ll look at you like you´re a canister of anthrax about to explode. Is anyone going to assault me? Doubt it. President Duque didn´t go on TV and call this the Gringo Virus, we good. I´ve been spoiled here for 7 1/2 years, but people are scared right now. This is happening in my own barrio when I walk 2 blocks to the supermarket (only with people who don´t know me though)...it´s just sheer terror and confusion about what might be happening to their country.

The neighbors (even ones I almost never talk to) and I are treating each other like family. We´re in this together.

If I haven´t convinced you to at least postpone your trip, I leave you with this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ering-colombia

When all this is over, you and your girlfriend can drink aguardiente in my house in the Coffee Triangle. For now, stay at home.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:51 PM

9,916 posts, read 14,773,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I hope Belize is taking proactive steps to keep it that way.
In all likelihood they probably have a few cases, just not aware of them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Not trolling at all...with all due respect...

We might want to say "So far, no TESTING in Belize".
Bingo!

There's a family in New Jersey, USA that lost 4 members this week, including the mother and one of her sons just hours apart of their death, due to the virus. She was not aware that two of her daughters and one of her boys had died when she passed away. Unbelievable!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/healt...led/index.html

Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 PM

220 posts, read 124,388 times
Quote:
I would write that trip off. You´ll get your money back or use the tickets for another time.

Just a side note, any person who is obviously foreign right now at least here in Pereira will be looked at with terrified stares from people. All 14 of my North American coworkers confirmed this same thing. I have the linguistic abilities to talk up a storm and be super nice to people like the cashiers and put everyone in line with me at ease...some of my co-workers don´t. If someone thinks you just got off a plane right now from any other country, they´ll look at you like you´re a canister of anthrax about to explode. Is anyone going to assault me? Doubt it. President Duque didn´t go on TV and call this the Gringo Virus, we good. I´ve been spoiled here for 7 1/2 years, but people are scared right now. This is happening in my own barrio when I walk 2 blocks to the supermarket (only with people who don´t know me though)...it´s just sheer terror and confusion about what might be happening to their country.

The neighbors (even ones I almost never talk to) and I are treating each other like family. We´re in this together.

If I haven´t convinced you to at least postpone your trip, I leave you with this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ering-colombia

When all this is over, you and your girlfriend can drink aguardiente in my house in the Coffee Triangle. For now, stay at home.
Noted and thanks.

Edit: The article says it will last 30 days. I thought the ban was until May 30th??
Quote:
Locals and foreigners who want to enter the country have until this weekend to do so. After that, from March 23, they will “initially” be locked out for the next 30 days, President Ivan Duque said in a televised speech Thursday.
Seems like President Duque is flip flopping. Help me out.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Noted and thanks.

Edit: The article says it will last 30 days. I thought the ban was until May 30th??

Seems like President Duque is flip flopping. Help me out.

He´s getting on board with our terrified and *fingers crossed* overly prepared local and regional leaders. The pressure was on, and we´ll put it back if he doesn´t comply. I don´t agree with Duque politically, but he´s a decent man and I hope he does the right thing. My department Risaralda has 950,000 inhabitants (really probably more with all the undocumented Venezuelans) and we have 90 ventilators. Not 90 free ones, but 90 in the whole department. So yeah, we don´t have the option other than to go "overboard". A lot of people are still going to die here.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:33 PM

220 posts, read 124,388 times
Quote:
He´s getting on board with our terrified and *fingers crossed* overly prepared local and regional leaders. The pressure was on, and we´ll put it back if he doesn´t comply. I don´t agree with Duque politically, but he´s a decent man and I hope he does the right thing. My department Risaralda has 950,000 inhabitants (really probably more with all the undocumented Venezuelans) and we have 90 ventilators. Not 90 free ones, but 90 in the whole department. So yeah, we don´t have the option other than to go "overboard". A lot of people are still going to die here.
Well, I hope everything goes well for you Colombians. You guys were very friendly when I was there. Warm and welcoming people at least in Medellin and Barranquilla. I'm sure you guys will survive this thats if Duque implements smart measures.

But.... I need your help. Because I could've sworn Duque said borders were closed until May 30th but in your bloomberg article it states that the travel ban will only last 30 days from March 23th. I went back and read the travel ban until May 30th and was that one only for land and sea border? Again I'm confused.

And I know you're going to disagree with me dearly but if this was any other Colombian city I would definitely heed your advise but... Cartagena is a tourist city especially the walled city(where we will be staying) and I'm pretty sure they are use to tourists. Plus I've seen tourist a few weeks ago in Colombia no issues. Also I already have a tour guide on ground.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 PM

9,916 posts, read 14,773,695 times
The President of the Dominican Republic declared a nationwide curfew from 8pm to 6am starting tonight until the foreseeable future. One more measure against the spread of COVID-19.

Aerial views of Santo Domingo tonight at 10pm. Largest city in the Caribbean usually bustling with traffic on a normal night.

Views of streets of Santiago. Largest inland city in the Caribbean and second largest city in the country with deserted streets due to the curfew.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The President of the Dominican Republic declared a nationwide curfew from 8pm to 6am starting tonight until the foreseeable future. One more measure against the spread of COVID-19.

Aerial views of Santo Domingo tonight at 10pm. Largest city in the Caribbean usually bustling with traffic on a normal night.

Views of streets of Santiago. Largest inland city in the Caribbean and second largest city in the country with deserted streets due to the curfew.
I'm glad to see people are complying. That's how we will ge through this. Stay home, follow government regulations and guidelines. Use common sense and consideration for your communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas