Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 12:08 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I've never met any black catholics that weren't from Louisiana. I'm calling your bluff. That doesn't exist.

All American black people are protestant.
Check out the Catholic cathedral in Norfolk VA that is 99% black congregation.
https://www.basilicaofsaintmary.org/

I also personally know black Catholics in Florida, went to school and church with them.

But I do agree black majority religion is Protestant due to splintering from Protestant mother church and forming the AME churches after the Civil War. White Protestant churches would not seat blacks at services as equals even though they were abolitionists.

There are also black Jehovah Witnesses and even Mormons.
Lot of religious variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 06:14 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The only thing stopping us blacks from being considered anglo american is the fact we DON'T want to be considered Anglo American. We don't want to embrace education, self-reliance, hard work, independence, capitalism, and 2 parent households. We don't want Anglo American names, food, culture, education, music, traditions, and customs. We want "black culture" which ironically is mostly southern redneck white culture.

The only thing blacks have 100% accepted from Anglo Americans is Christianity.
I never said what African Americans want to be considered, but that is something that African Americans (like any other people) are entitled to believe and have. I said the main reason African Americans are often not thought to be Anglo-Americans is because of racism. Notice that being considered is one thing, considering yourself is something else. To be considered it has nothing to do with what African Americans think or want, in fact its from the outside looking in and not looking in from within. What African Americans think or want to be (and historical experience influences how and what people think of themselves, the African American experience is one resumed in wanting to be a part of the mainstream and having them denied that through rejection often sustained and promoted by their own US government; forget slavery, its the segregation that happen afterwards that impacted the hardest the relationship between African Americans and whites, and its the effect of that segregation that explains the current issues regarding this topic) is a different topic very close and related to this one, but not quite the same, in my opinion.

I do get what you're saying though.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
very loaded term but i guess absent any context, Anglos *could* include both white and black Americans. African American culture is a creolized by product of mostly African and British/Irish culture/ancestry. But given history and cultural differences between White Americans and Black Americans, I would not group the two together as "Anglos" and I don't know any black Americans that identify as such.
It's interesting as in the Caribbean we may categorise as Anglo-Caribbean, Hispanic Caribbean, Franco Caribbean and Dutch Caribbean. Yet black people from Jamaica tend to be far more of African stock than a large portion of AAs from the United States of America.

However, I do understand the rejection of the identifier due to recent segregationist laws in the US. Culturally and genetically however, there is an undeniable kinship.

Old 12-15-2020, 07:16 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's interesting as in the Caribbean we may categorise as Anglo-Caribbean, Hispanic Caribbean, Franco Caribbean and Dutch Caribbean. Yet black people from Jamaica tend to be far more of African stock than a large portion of AAs from the United States of America.

However, I do understand the rejection of the identifier due to recent segregationist laws in the US. Culturally and genetically however, there is an undeniable kinship.
In the Dominican Republic coloquial terms for people living in the country from the English Caribbean are "Cocolo" (also present in Puerto Rico and probably in Cuba too) and "Ingleses" which means "English." Their descendants are considered and seen as regular Dominicans though even if both of their parents are either Cocolos or descendants on all sides of Cocolos. They tend to be very numerous in the San Pedro de Macoris and Santo Domingo areas.

Al Horford is probably the most well known Dominican descendant of Cocolos, though here he is with his wife Amelia Vega (she's Dominican from Santo Domingo for her entire fsmily from both sides are from Santiago, she belongs to the first generation in her family that's born in Santo Domingo) and their children. She won the Miss Universe pageant in 2003 representing the Dominican Republic and he is a successful basketball player in the USA NBA.

https://us.hola.com/es/actualidad/20...trevista-hola/

Old 12-15-2020, 07:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's interesting, as I argue that African Americans have way much more in common, culturally, with Anglo Americans than Africans today.
We do. But I would never call myself Anglo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Correct on all accounts. Some of the posters in the thread maybe dont understand this point. Blacks and whites differ culturally at both the macro and micro levels in the States.
Or they ironically blame racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well you clearly don't know your U.S. history in that case.

What culture do you think we blacks adopted when we arrived on slave ships? Do you think we brought our African culture to America? No. Our "culture" is simply southern redneck white culture who we adopted as ours because that's where we initially lived: in the south as slaves.

African Americans have lived in America far longer than we've ever been in Africa. The only thing African Americans have in common with Africans is skin color (aside from some Africans being white).

Call it whatever you want, but African Americans are literally dark skinned Anglo Americans. A demographic cannot spend its entire existence in one country and still claim roots, culture, or traditions to Africa.

Better yet, how many "African" Americans would readily renounce their citizenship and go back to Africa? Not many. We don't even know what African country we came from.
We have southern redneck culture? What does the culture consist of that we've adopted? White folks don't eat pig feet, pig lips, smothered pork chops, etc. They don't share the same health risks that we do because of slavery and segregation. We don't like to hunt at the same rate that they do. Our music has had to be developed outside of white culture. And at the end of the day, we can never be assimilated like white Latinos and Europeans because we aren't the same color.

A demographic cannot be physically, mentally, educationally, emotionally, be removed from the dominant society for 400 years and then be called part of that same demographics culturally. Not possible.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

But I do agree black majority religion is Protestant due to splintering from Protestant mother church and forming the AME churches after the Civil War. White Protestant churches would not seat blacks at services as equals even though they were abolitionists.

Actually, that was a generation prior to the Civil War. The AME church was founded in 1816.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
I don't understand the question. African Americans are African Americans
Americans of black African ancestry
Bom dia! We agree!!

Old 12-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

What?? Black people from the Caribbean and Americas are all part of the Diaspora. Caribbean blacks didnt just happen upon the islands 100 years ago. WTH??

Old 12-16-2020, 09:56 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Most black Americans are not Protestant.
They're literally one of the most Protestant ethnic groups in the country, more likely to be Protestant than white Americans.

I know black Catholics that are Anglo and not from Louisiana in my extended family through marriage. However, they represent a small fraction of the black American demographic. I'm kind of stunned that you would argue something that is so obviously false.

I and other posters are right. Black Americans are overwhelmingly Protestant, and those that are Catholic are disproportionately from Louisiana and have some sort of 'French connection.'

Old 12-16-2020, 11:30 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
I don't understand the question. African Americans are African Americans
Americans of black African ancestry
Indigenous people and blacks from Latin America are called "Latin".

So you should understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas