Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 05:29 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times

Advertisements

Popular desserts of Spanish (maybe Moorish) origin. Does any country claim their version is the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 07:03 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I don't think any country present them as a national identifier and, as a consequence, a source of national pride. They are naturally present in all the countries that were once a part of Spain including places like The Phillipines which is on the other side of the planet. As you imply, the reason for this is that they are of Spanish origin, so the Spnish took it everywhere they went. Now they are readily found in many areas of the United States too, but it arrived with the Latin Americans and in parts of the USA they were there since before they were part if the USA (California is a good example).

Another sweet that is of Spanish origin and is everywhere is dulce de leche. That's one of my favorite sweets.

I enjoy a lot flan, but the first time I ate it I must had been 6 or 7 years old and boy was the taste a dissapointment. It looked so good and then the bomb fell. Apparently its a learned taste of sorts. Now flan tastes sweet and delicious, but then it was bitter. I couldn't take a second bite from what seemed like a nasty and extremely bad tasting "sweet." lol

There are certain dishes of Spanish origin that is presented as a national invention, though they aren't sweet. A perfect example is sancocho, which is a sort of heavy stew that must been eaten while its still hot or warm. The fact that you are sweating while eating the thing in a tropical setting should be a tell tale sign that its a dish originally from a country with colder winters. In the Dominican Republic its present as a Dominican creation and a national identity, but in reality every Spanish-speaking country has their sancocho. Whether its as widely eaten is another story, but that its there, its there. Sancocho isn't a learned taste, you either like it or you don't.

The same with the asopao, which is also called the same in Puerto Rico and in Cuba. The meats in the Spanish Caribbean is mostly from land animals such as beef, but the origin of the asopao actually Valencia, Spain. The meats there is mostly seafood and they call it arroz caldoso.

Another learned taste, though not from Spanish origin, is pasteles from Puerto Rico. Now that is some serious good stuff. I can't pass by someone eating pasteles and if there are none left I will appear with my own fork and ask them for a bite. I'm sorry, you have to learn to share. lol When I first tasted pasteles I was also a kid and didn't liked it, though nothing beats the dissappointment of flan. So its kind of funny that now I think of pasteles and my mouth starts watering. One of the best inventions from Puerto Rico.

Another learned taste is cassave bread, which is the bread of the indians. A person that has never eaten this will taste like cardboard, but I definitely like this stuff. I can definitely see why the Spanish grew tired of it. Its tough to survive on a handful of foods, but depending on cassave to the extent that they did had to be tougher, especially since the first years they couldn't eat the European fluffy white bread. They were introduced to cassave bread by the Taino indians on Hispaniola. Before then no one knew about it except certain indian civilizations in the Americas. The indians themselves didn't know the white fluffy bread which arrived later with the Spanish and now its a household item throughout the Americas. Cassave is good as a companion to certain eats or plates. While I can eat it by itself, even I who loves it have a limit with how much I can consume that thing. Its also one of those things that you either like it or you don't. For example, none of my brothers like it, but I certainly do.

Flan

https://www.thespruceeats.com/carame...rvings-2343004

Arroz con leche

https://www.dominicancooking.com/992...e-pudding.html

Pasteles from Puerto Rico

https://www.africanbites.com/pasteles/

Dulce de leche

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Dominica.../dp/B00GFBF19S

Sancocho

https://www.dominicancooking.com/125...arty-stew.html

Cassave

https://dominicanagourmet.com/el-cas...s-dominicanos/

Asopao

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Poul...an-Chicken.htm

This is definitely a dangerous thread for anyone on a diet.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:22 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Dang that sancocho looks good. I could for some of that right now.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Of all the adaptions of traditional Spanish dishes, to me nothing beats the Puerto Rican/Dominican take on lechón asado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odRVJIR8jVA

It´s always the first thing I eat when I touch down, and the last thing I eat before getting to the airport.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:35 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Yummm! I love flan so please do tell who makes it the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Another learned taste, though not from Spanish origin, is pasteles from Puerto Rico. Now that is some serious good stuff. I can't pass by someone eating pasteles and if there are none left I will appear with my own fork and ask them for a bite. I'm sorry, you have to learn to share. lol When I first tasted pasteles I was also a kid and didn't liked it, though nothing beats the dissappointment of flan. So its kind of funny that now I think of pasteles and my mouth starts watering. One of the best inventions from Puerto Rico.
Pasteles are of Amerindian origin and eaten on multiple islands and even down to Venezuela.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yummm! I love flan so please do tell who makes it the best.

Pasteles are of Amerindian origin and eaten on multiple islands and even down to Venezuela.
Pasteles are of Amerindian origin? How? The main ingredient is plantains. There were no plantains/banana plants in the Americas until a Spaniard (some say the Portuguese though there were many Portuguese in the Canary Islands at the time, so technically that is possible) brought the first plants from the Canary Islands to Hispaniola in the early 1500's. From there the plant spread throughout the tropical regions of the Americas as people took them everywhere they went. As far as I know, there was no food inventions from the Indians by the time the Spanish and other Europeans arrived at the continent.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Pasteles are of Amerindian origin? How? The main ingredient is plantains. There were no plantains/banana plants in the Americas until a Spaniard (some say the Portuguese though there were many Portuguese in the Canary Islands at the time, so technically that is possible) brought the first plants from the Canary Islands to Hispaniola in the early 1500's. From there the plant spread throughout the tropical regions of the Americas as people took them everywhere they went. As far as I know, there was no food inventions from the Indians by the time the Spanish and other Europeans arrived at the continent.
The Indians had already developed the tamale.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
. As far as I know, there was no food inventions from the Indians by the time the Spanish and other Europeans arrived at the continent.
There are plenty of foods of Native origin. Maybe not in the Caribbean or Colombia but in other places there most certainly is.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are plenty of foods of Native origin. Maybe not in the Caribbean or Colombia but in other places there most certainly is.
What would the Spanish diet be without foods they brought from the Americas?

Old 01-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are many Caribbean plates of Native origins and the names of many fruits, vegetables, even certain animals, places, etc are Native too. For example, the Spanish word for turtle is tortuga. In the Dominican Republic that word is used interchangeably with the Taino word of hicotea and when people use that word (or most Taino words for that matter) they don't even know they are using a Native word instead of a Spanish word. For them its all Spanish. Even words for measurements have these interchangeable words. For example, the Spanish word for a little bit is poquito, but in the Dominican Republic the Taino word chin is also used and to say a very little bit you either say muy poquito or chin chin. Again, the average person isn't even aware that one word is in Spanish and the other in Arawak, which is the technical name of the language of the Tainos. An eagle is often referred to as an águila and a guaraguao. The color orange is anaranjado and mamey. A tree is often called árbol and palo, both in Spanish, but also the Taino mata. A frog is sapo or if very small rana but also the Taino word maco is extremely common. Most of the rivers have their Taino names (Camú, Yuna, Ozama; Soco, Haina, etc). Many of the cities and towns still have their composite Spanish/Taino names given to them by the Spanish, which is a common trait in the rest of Latin America (San Francisco de Macorís, Santa Rosa de Bonao, Santa Bárbara de Samaná, Salvaleón de Higüey, Santa Cruz del Seibo, San Gabriel de Dajabón, Nuestra Señora de la Regla de Baní, Nuestra Señora del Rosario de Moca, San Juan de la Maguana, Compostela de Azua, San José de las Matas, etc). Etc, etc, etc.

Also some African words are used and people don't know they are not in Spanish. For example, party is called fiesta (Spanish) and can (Western African). Some foods have a reminder of Africa, such as banana which are called banana (everyone knows what it means) but the most common word is guineo (reminder of Guinea, a place in Africa from where most Dominicans have part of their genetic origin from). There is also a type of chicken that's called guinea, but I think that's their actual name in Spanish. I'm not entirely sure on that though.

But it remains a mistery how can Native peoples invent any food when its main ingredient wasn't available before the arrival of the Spaniards.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-19-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas