Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 02:00 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenalee View Post

For you that is Brazil culture. This video don't represent "Brazilian culture". This video is a part of Brazil culture. Brazilian culture is European, Asian, Indigenous, African. This video represent African Brazilian culture. That is my point people think that carnival, samba, sexy mulattoes represent the whole Brazil
What do the Brazilian tourism authorities offer to tourists from outside of South America? Rio, Salvador, Minas Gerais and the Amazon/Pantanal. I was told that even Brazilians themselves see Sao Paulo as horrendous unless one is there for business, and that southern Brazil is a snore.

So why should I spend thousands of dollars to leave NYC to see something that just doesnt appeal.

The MOST appealing Brazil culture is the Afro Lusophone one. I am also not of the opinion that only blacks live in Rio's favelas. Tons of people from the interior northeast also live there, and yes bringing their own rich culture with them.

So stop squealing as if Rio or even Salvador are like Lagos or Kinshasa or Luanda. Its not Tokyo, and its not Frankfurt or Rome, no matter how much you might wish it to be.

Asians are not even 1% of the population so please stop using them as an excuse to disguise your frustration that the branqueamento plans of a century ago never succeeded in eradicating the substantial influence that Brazil's Afro LUSOPHONE culture has on what a Brazilian is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenalee View Post
Yes Brazil sells this image ( slums). But when the foreigner media travel for Rio de Janeiro see a lot of beautiful places. Beautiful places for show the audience. But insist in the stereotype who Brazil sells " slums"
We don't agree when Brazilian media portrays Brazil a full white country ( like soap operas). Brazil is not a full white country. We are pride of Brazil African heritage. We just want the media to show Brazil like Brazil is. A country with slums but developed places also. A country with a huge white, black and brown population. I only want the media shows more things about my country than Rio de Janeiro, slums, mulattas, carnival capoeira ok.
If the favelas embarrass you FIX THEM. These are the cultural incubators of Brazilian culture as much as you might wish to think otherwise. We are NOT interested in some updated version of Xuxa!

Old 06-27-2021, 12:29 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,935,470 times
"According to the 2010 census, 6 percent of Brazil’s total population lived in favelas."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/favela

I didn't know that 6% is more indicative than 94%. I must be bad in math. Yeah, that's it.

Favelas are indicative of favelas, not much beyond there. The real Brazil (the remaining 94%) is outside of those places.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
"According to the 2010 census, 6 percent of Brazil’s total population lived in favelas."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/favela

I didn't know that 6% is more indicative than 94%. I must be bad in math. Yeah, that's it.

Favelas are indicative of favelas, not much beyond there. The real Brazil (the remaining 94%) is outside of those places.

Funny I was of the opinion that the parts of Rio most promoted were the beaches of Ipanema, and Copacabana, the Sugar Loaf mountain that statue. As well as of course its world famous carnival. Is this the favelas? So yes there are those who love poverty purn and also parade through the ghettoes of Detroit. A FEW people engage in this, and so why the screams that this is all that people want to see. Michael Jackson made his video DECADES AGO and this is the example that they still cite!

Stop cooperating with a bunch of Germans and Italians who refuse to believe that the core culture of Brazil is that which emerged from the interaction of the Portuguese and the Africans and the Indigenous peoples.

In another thread, now closed, they wail that no one is interested in southern Brazil, and yet fail to tell us why we should be. Tell us. Why was the Olympics and the World Cup so focused on Rio and not Curitiba?

Old 07-11-2021, 08:39 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Are there no favelas in Rio Grande do Sul?

Old 08-23-2021, 11:19 PM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
I noticed that some Brazilians become angry when foreigners focus on the favelas. It's usually higher income Brazilians who become angry. They want foreigners to only think about high income areas of Brazil, like the Leblon area in Rio de Janeiro.

This makes me think that some Brazilians are insecure about the amount of poverty that exists in their country. They want to pretend that the whole country is like Leblon and favelas do not exist.

The high income Brazilians probably want to associate themselves with wealthy Western cities like Paris, New York, London, etc. They don't want people bringing up the favelas, because it tarnishes the image they're trying to project. They're supposed to be a nice, beautiful, developed Western place.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,646 times
Too many people pontificating to Brazilians on this topic. The point is that a person just doesn’t like being acknowledged for a single feature or few features, let alone if these are negative ones. I don’t like it, you don’t like it, and social groups as a whole don’t like it. Such characterizations stand as lazy or disrespectful towards the complexity of a person, an entity or a social group.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
I noticed that some Brazilians become angry when foreigners focus on the favelas. It's usually higher income Brazilians who become angry. They want foreigners to only think about high income areas of Brazil, like the Leblon area in Rio de Janeiro.

This makes me think that some Brazilians are insecure about the amount of poverty that exists in their country. They want to pretend that the whole country is like Leblon and favelas do not exist.

The high income Brazilians probably want to associate themselves with wealthy Western cities like Paris, New York, London, etc. They don't want people bringing up the favelas, because it tarnishes the image they're trying to project. They're supposed to be a nice, beautiful, developed Western place.
This brings to light another controversy and that is what constitute "The West."

By the way, I have no idea why you only mention favelas and high income areas. Most Brazilians don't live in either. Less than 6% nationwide live in favelas. I don't know what percentage of Brazilians live in high income areas, but it must aldo be in the single digits. A small part of the population in either cases. The bulk of Brazilians remain in a country where between 85% to 90% of people live in cities.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:58 AM

146 posts, read 88,488 times
The United States has ghettos? Do all Americans live in the ghetto? Or do all African Americans? No. It’s a serious problem that should be fixed, yes.

But one can say the same of Brazil. Not all Brazilians live in the favelas. If Brazilian families typically had 15 kids until 1980, certain social issues will take a few generations to resolve.

Ditto for the US. The trauma from older generations of African Americans won’t go away until they have passed on. It will sadly take generations. Trump and Bolsonaro aren’t the true problems, and neither man is immortal.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:23 AM

I think that's the point. The image created by US visitors to Brazil puts favelas at a greater part than Brazilian visitors to the US regarding its ghettoes. Since most people don't live in either, it remains to be asked why this difference.

This is present regarding other places too. For example, I remember when I first saw the Hollywood movie "The Day After Tomorrow." Near the end the movie shows Mexico City. What does it show? A slum and that was it. I want to see a movie where the only thing they show of New York City are its ghettoes. Even the movies that spend all their time in those areas show more defining aspects of New York City, such as Manhattan's skyline. The fact that most Americans have no idea what Mexico City is liked and even become shocked when it isn't presented as a city of slums and crime is a telltale sign. Everyone knows of places like Times Square, Midtown, Central Park in New York City. It seems Americans make sure that everyone knows that. Not everyone knows of Bosque de Chapultepec, Avenida Masaryk, Paseo de la Reforma, etc in Mexico City. If a Mexican extolls these places on American forums, soon enough an American will either mention the slums or the crime as if to say "that's the real Mexico City, lets not fool ourselves" when in fact most residents of Mexico City doesn't live in slums. Saying things to Americans such as Mexico City has more museums than any other city in the world raises so many eyebrows. Why is that? Is it really that shocking that a city in Latin America has lots of genuine culture that isn't the prevailing stereotype? You say that NYC has some of the most lavish shopping streets in the world and it doesn't shock Americans, say Avenida Masaryk is the most luxurious shopping street in Latin America and one of the most luxurious in the world and suddenly it's a disbelief. Really?

It's quite easy to understand what the Brazilians are saying regarding this. The double standard is obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas