Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 01:41 PM

9,686 posts, read 14,516,397 times

Advertisements

Apparently, yesterday there was some sort of event somewhere in Colombia (could be Bogota based on one of the high rises which looks like one there or it could be elsewhere) where there was an issue between a bus and a motorcycle. Well, the guy on the motorcycle was visibly upset and with his helmet broke one of the windows of the bus. Out of nowhere comes out the driver of the bus with a machete and he hit the motorcyclist. The motorcyclist reacts by throwing his helmet at him and he swings the machete again at the motorcyclist. It seems he also hit the motorcycle with the machete, but the video ends there.

Amazing to see this in the middle of a city.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status...53752185782274

Moral of the story: don't mess with Colombians. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 09:08 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,990,322 times
This was in Medellin, actually. Wild stuff. Over the years there, I definitely saw similar things happen. There are often issues with extortion and harassment of bus routes, so while this is shocking to see, it's not surprising.

You'd be amazed how many security guards keep a trusty machete around...well...let's say old guys who are not uniformed security but are entrusted with guarding a place. I have never seen a bus driver with one though! I met plenty of taxi drivers who had pistols at the ready in case something went down.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:07 PM

17,877 posts, read 15,649,814 times
Nah, I sure they rather have guns. I dont know Colombia gun laws, but the Cartels certainly had or have them now.

Old 12-06-2022, 06:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,990,322 times
Believe it or not, gun laws are fairly strict. The average street punk looking to rob you has to do so with a knife. Gangs who employ hitmen can work hard enough to get revolvers for their guys, and of course the guerrilla and the cartels have enough money and power to acquire assault rifles and even grenades if need be. But less guns are floating around within the civilian population for sure.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:43 PM

Since supposedly machetes evolved from the Spanish swords, I think anywhere that had Spanish conquistadors settle permanently or passed through might have machetes as a cultural thing.

Old 10-31-2023, 02:57 PM

5,631 posts, read 11,159,955 times
In any tropical coastal area (not just Colombia) where coconut palms are common, machetes are very handy. If you are thirsty, no need to look for drinkable fresh water, just find a coconut and open it up to get to the coconut water - however it is not quite as easy as it sounds - you need to chop with care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILHvXaXIP5I

Old 11-01-2023, 06:28 PM

881 posts, read 296,811 times
Machetes are commonly used and part of the culture in much of tropical Latin America where ever there are crops such as sugar cane, bananas, plantain etc. I have several machetes at home with really nice leather casings that I have brought back from Central America.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:16 PM

Almost all of what people think as tropical fruits/crops in Latin America were in fact introduced mainly by the Spanish in the 1500's.

Take sugar cane as an example. The first sugar cane was actually taken to Santo Domingo from the Canary Islands. From there the Spanish took the plant everywhere they went (which is almost all of the current Spanish America including huge parts of the USA.)

Plantains/bananas have a very similar beginning. It wasn't native to the Americas, rather the first platain plants were in fact taken by the Spanish from the Canary Islands to Santo Domingo. From there it spread everywhere in the hemisphere that has the climate to support it.

I'm not sure how coconuts made it to the America's, but they certainly are not native as they were never described by the logs of Columbus. It's said they were introduced by the Spanish too, but it's not clear from where. Some coconut palms are found in some parts of the Canary Islands, but I don't think they were there in the 1490's. Anyway, the first coconut palm was introduced to Santo Domingo in the early 1500's, but it's said it was brought by a Spaniard not from Spain, but from Puerto Rico. The question is, who took the coconut to Puerto Rico in the first place? Now there are coconut trees everywhere in the American tropics and sub-tropics that have the climate to support them, especially along the coasts. The most northern place in the Americas that I have seen coconut palms is Florida, USA; mostly in South Florida though I have seen very few as far north as Cocoa Beach near Cape Canaveral/NASA.

Machetes are not used for harvesting coffee beans, but that is an example of a tree now widely present in the tropical areas of the Americas that not only is not native, but that one wasn't brought by the Spanish. In fact, the first coffee trees that were planted in Santo Domingo was in the 1700's. The French brought the first coffee trees and planted them in Saint-Domingue (now Haiti) and a few years later took it to Santo Domingo. I'm not sure if Saint-Domingue (Haiti) is the first place in the Americas to receive coffee trees.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-01-2023 at 08:29 PM..

Old 11-01-2023, 08:22 PM

881 posts, read 296,811 times
Yeah I was about to say the coconut is also not native to the Americas. From what I have read the first coconuts come from the pacific coast. From Panama or the Mexican coast. The Panama tall or Pacfic Tall is the oldest variety of Coconut in the Americas. Some people say it was already in Panama when the Spanish got here, which seems unlikely. Others say it didn't arrive in the Americas until the Spanish brought it back rom the Phillipines. I have read Europeans (possibly the Portuguese) also introduced coconuts to Africa.

Last edited by Luisito80; 11-01-2023 at 08:32 PM..

Old 11-02-2023, 02:43 PM

862 posts, read 894,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Machetes are commonly used and part of the culture in much of tropical Latin America where ever there are crops such as sugar cane, bananas, plantain etc. I have several machetes at home with really nice leather casings that I have brought back from Central America.
My parents are from the countryside (Colombia). They don't use machete for crops (the most common there are potatoes, tomato, onions...), just to cut through the vegetation when trying to reach certain place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas