Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 12:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,785,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I’m aware of that, but it’s a minority of the population. Of course, in a country with such a big population as Brazil, a minority is still a lot of people. Most people in Brazil have some Portuguese in them.

With that said, a few days ago I checked by 23andme account and noticed they did an update, namely they got more specific. Surprised me on several notes, but mainly that my Spanish/Portuguese input is Spanish at 100% as now they were able to pinpoint from what region/departments/states/provinces or whatever they call them there. This brings to another point and that is that Brazil now appears too. In fact, the following printscreen of Brazil is from my 23andme account.

I don’t think this means I have some Brazilian, but rather I share some DNA with people that themselves are Brazilians or they could be some other nationality mixed with Brazilian, maybe the father or mother is Brazilian.

These connections could be due to the African side or to the Spanish side or both. It definitely can’t be on the Portuguese side as now it’s clear I have no Portuguese. If the Spanish side is most or all of the connections, then what’s the likelihood they are mixed with Portuguese?
The vast majority of the Spanish that immigrated to Minas Gerais were from Galicia and mostly men.

The colonial European settlement to Brazil was overwhelmingly Portuguese. I'm Portuguese and have never set foot in Brazil however I have more Brazilian autosomal DNA matches on MyHeritage than the most Brazilians of Colonial ancestry even those whose family have been in Brazil since the 16th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas