Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,898,263 times

Advertisements

When I think of Brazil I think of Pele (Futbol God), City of God(movie), Favelas (Neigborhood slums in Rio and throughout the country), Black Orphues(excellent classic film Black Orpheus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), Home to the greatest carnivals in the world in Rio, Olinda and Salvador de Bahia, Huge Culture based of African principles, Beautiful Women, Lovely Beaches in Rio, Recife, Fortalenza (All NE Brazil locations), The Amazon, Rainforests and the beautiful Portuguese language that sounds oh so lovely.

Here are some FACTS that you probably didn't know about Brazil...

By far the largest amount of Slaves transported to a new world Colony/Country.
Has the world's second-largest black population, behind Nigeria's.
Was the last country in the Americas to Abolish Slavery (1888).

Here are some interesting links...

Great article of Afro-Brazilians
MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans

Map showing the break-down of slaves imported to The New World and Brazil
MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans

Brazilian Martial Art
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51q1VB_dDik

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 09-09-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: adding websites

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,898,263 times
Let me also add that Brazil's Black population is light years away from the legalized equality and treatment and representation in the workforce, education, health and wealth attainment that Blacks have had to garner over the past 40 years in the USA.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM

597 posts, read 1,294,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Let me also add that Brazil's Black population is light years away from the legalized equality and treatment and representation in the workforce, education, health and wealth attainment that Blacks have had to garner over the past 40 years in the USA.
I must agree.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,402,696 times
I lived in Brazil for 3 years, and it is true, but, I think there is less racism and racial tensions in Brazil than in the USA, people just mix, most brazilians don't mind where you come from as long as you are nice, and most people mix well into brazilian society after sometime regardless of their origin.

I remember being in a museum in Sao Paulo that celebrated black culture in Brazil, the things I saw there would have caused a ruckus in Political Correct America, but in Brazil it was very normal. Brazil is a very open and carefree society, music and party is a very important part of their lifes, regardless of the region, this is something all brazilians have in common in a very diverse country that is beautiful and different from state to state.

Southern Brazil is simply amazing, the well planned and nice cities enjoy very good services and facilities, they are clean, ordered, have very efficient mass transit systems and have living standards similar to those found in first world countries, specially in the state of Paraná, in the northern states things are different though, specially in the northeastern area (Nordeste) where cities are exactly the opposite, but people nevertheless is very warm and friendly, Brazil is a country that is easy to love, marry a brazilian and spent your life there.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-09-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: City Data is an English only forum

Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 PM

266 posts, read 1,231,173 times
Brazil= warm climate with sandy beaches, warm people, football, favelas (ghettos), high crime rate, corruption, developing country, self sufficient gas supply, half the population are mulattos, Carnival, Amazon jungle, extermination of the Indians,alot of illegal Brazilians in Florida, maybe Newark too, stole Japanese judo and now calls it Brazilian jujitsu,love their novelas....that's all I can think of.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,109,620 times
They think Brazil is the Amazon and Rio, and nothing else, or worse, they think it's part of Mexico.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM

597 posts, read 1,294,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
They think Brazil is the Amazon and Rio, and nothing else, or worse, they think it's part of Mexico.
Beyond everithing was wrote about Brazil, we are much more:
01) Brazil's population 240.000.000
02) 8th economy of planet
03) 1st oil prospect technology (deep waters) of the world
04) 1st technology alternative fuel (etanol and biodiesel) of the world
05) Airplanes exporter (civil and military)
06) Big chicken exporter (maybe 2nd)
07) 1st soybean's producer and exporter of planet
08) Peaceful country
09) We have not hurricanes, earthquake, volcanic eruptions, terrorist attacks, etc...
10) We live complete freedom
11) All Brazil's visitors say we are a nice and peaceful people
12) Most high tech bank services of the world
13) 1st high tech elections (votes count) of world
This is not all....

Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,980,926 times
I know it is a pretty big country with a huge population.

There are a ton of you guys...some would say, a brazillion.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,965,634 times
I know that Brazil's anti-American foreign policy and it's racist mainstream media sucks donkey balls.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,579,247 times
When I think of Brazil, I think of,

beautiful women, motor racing, beaches, corruption and crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.