Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 01:54 PM

321 posts, read 333,229 times

Advertisements

You make it seem as if the Atlantic Coast doesn't have universities, hospitals, jobs, etc.

The Pacific coast and the Atlantic coast are not on the same scale of development and they're also different ethnic-wise. Pacific coast is predominantly afro whereas the Atlantic Coast is not. The black component is there but it's nowhere near as predominant, the white and amerindian components outweigh them general speaking that is, it depends on the city as I previously said. There are even high mountain towns in some costeño departments.

And I live on the Atlantic Coast, lived in Bogota and Medellin too.

Last edited by Oraculo; 05-31-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 01:57 PM

This is Barranquilla, Colombia's largest city in terms of population located on the North Coast.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:06 PM

Jennifer Lopez is clearly NOT black, she might have black in her but she's not predominantly black.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That census does not describe what a mulato looks like. In fact it's nearly impossible to do so, as the color of a "mixed" race person could vary tremendously. Of course what's light skinned and what's dark skinned is also very subjective. If you are just a lighter shade of Black, in Colombia and throughout South America you are still Black/moreno.

If you have well under 50% African ancestry and you features are substantially less African (straight or close to it hair, slender nose, thinner lips) then South Americans would be more able to acknowledge the difference.

With that said Beyonce is Black in South America. People from the coastal regions of Colombia have to deal with the rest of the country, and they know very well how the country has historically treated them. It's only been recently that they've been able to move to the cities in larger numbers, go to universities, have professional jobs, etc.

Erica, from the choco, who is the same color as Beyonce is referring to the historic problems and lack of opportunities Black people had in el Choco. She says things has changed, but notice she is the same color as Beyonce, referring to herself as Black and not claiming special "mulato" privileges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMn4aDF5Q0
The latter is especially true, some people self-identify as afro, palenquero or indigenous just so they can ask for benefits.

And as for carbiny, who goes on about how Colombia is 25% black. The Atlantic Coast makes up less than 25% of the country's population.

Are you sure the whole of the Atlantic Coast is black or predominantly black? I don't get why you're in such a hurry trying to make Colombia appear blacker.

Catches my attention.

I'd suggest you visit places like Huila or Boyaca, you'd get surprised at the amount of black people living there.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
The latter is especially true, some people self-identify as afro, palenquero or indigenous just so they can ask for benefits.

And as for carbiny, who goes on about how Colombia is 25% black. The Atlantic Coast makes up less than 25% of the country's population.

Are you sure the whole of the Atlantic Coast is black or predominantly black? I don't get why you're in such a hurry trying to make Colombia appear blacker.

Catches my attention.

I'd suggest you visit places like Huila or Boyaca, you'd get surprised at the amount of black people living there.
What benefits do Black and Natives get in Colombia? In Brazil, in the 2000s they decided to address the issue that Blacks were extremely rare among the nation's professional classes by mandating that universities be between 25 and 40% Black.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Dark-Skinned Or Black? How Afro-Brazilians Are Forging A Collective Identity : Code Switch : NPR

The woman in this article, definitely lighter than Beyonce, is a Brazilian woman who refers to herself and is referred to as morena. Of course this is one article and one person, but if this is typical it appears Brazil is similar to the Spanish speaking countries.

People refer to other people based on their color and appearance. If you are dark, you will be called dark (moreno). Anyone with dark hair and dark eyes is moreno, especially if they have brown skin and it does not matter whether it is dark brown or light brown.

Erica, the Colombian woman I posted in the picture, is also morena.

Now if it's just a bunch of white Spanish speakers around, and many of them have light colored hair and eyes, they will often refer to the brunettes among them as morenos. This is definitely the case in Spain and Argentina.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What benefits do Black and Natives get in Colombia? In Brazil, in the 2000s they decided to address the issue that Blacks were extremely rare among the nation's professional classes by mandating that universities be between 25 and 40% Black.
That's taking it too far in my opinion, as far as I'm concerned indigenous peoples abide by their law in their territories and they are granted access to public universities somewhat easily. There's a lot more to it but I can't remember now.

Palenqueros, afro descendants, gitanos (Rom people) and indigenous peoples are classed as an ethnic minority in Colombia.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
That's taking it too far in my opinion, as far as I'm concerned indigenous peoples abide by their law in their territories and they are granted access to public universities somewhat easily. There's a lot more to it but I can't remember now.

Palenqueros, afro descendants, gitanos (Rom people) and indigenous peoples are classed as an ethnic minority in Colombia.

"The committee proposed quotas for blacks in universities, government agencies and the armed forces, and incentives for companies to recruit Afro-Colombians as middle managers and for political parties to field black candidates. The role of Afro-Colombians, today little more than a footnote in history books, would be highlighted in school texts."
Debating quotas | The Economist

"As a result, in 1996, the Programa de Créditos Educativos para Comunidades Afro-Colombianas (Afro-Colombian Educational Credits Program)2 awarded university credits to Afro-Colombians for community service, whether “social or academic.” To qualify for the program, students must be certified members of an Afro-Colombian community, must demonstrate academic excellence and limited socioeconomic resources, and must present a project aimed at solving a local community need.3
Moreover, starting in the late 1990s, several Colombian public and private universities created special admissions programs for ethnic minorities.4 The affirmative action programs began admitting Indigenous students first and then expanded to include Afro-Colombians.5
To be eligible for many of the programs, applicants must submit a certification of their Afro-descendant identity. The Ministry of the Interior and recognized Afro-Colombian organizations certify applicantsthrough applicants’ self-identification, photographs of applicants and their ancestors, and records of their racial ancestry. The process was established to address concerns that applicants might falsely assert an Afro-descendant identity and diminish the impact of the policy."
Affirmative Action in the Americas - Fordham Law

So Colombian universities have special admissions programs for both Indigenuous and Afro-Colombians. They also made sure to use hiring quotas in government, the military, and in private sector jobs.

Thank you for pointing that out, Oraculo.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:22 PM

Re: moreno which is applied to dark haired, dark eyed people (from Black to brunette whites like Penelope Cruz and everything in between including at times natives, mestizos, middle easterners, and Indians) people aren't saying that someone is all the way one thing or another. Moreno just means you have dark features. People in Latin America are well aware that most people in a Latin American context are mixed. However they call you what you look like. Chino is either an Asian or anyone with slightly slanted eyes, where they are Asian or not. Indio is someone with long black hair and features that could suggest native/indio.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:28 PM

345 posts, read 268,681 times
Moreno is dark featured and can also mean black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.