Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:16 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
The irony is that most Black or African Americans are of mixed heritage, yet many feel that they must self-identify as such in spite of the erasure of significant parts of their roots or family trees. I understand it to a degree, but I sincerely think is up to each person to decide how he or she chooses to self-identify. Because of my upbringing, culturally I identify as Black, yet I also have a lot of respect and enjoy exploring my Native American or indigenous roots, as well as my Irish and Latino/a roots. This does not make me a sell out. It simply means that I am aware and not willing to sacrifice any of my roots or my ancestry in accordance with socially-constructed systems of racial identity.

Back to the thread... How does this play out in Brazil? Are there different variations of racial identity or labeling for people of mixed heritages but who seem to have gotten a huge dose of their genetic pools from Africa?
Yes. Especially in areas such as Bahia, Sergipe, Alagoas, Pernambuco, Ceara, etc, in the Northeast, that have large black/mixed populations, there are literally hundreds of descriptive categories and terms. In Bahia, which is the "blackest" state in Brazil, many people have developed a level of race consciousness and sense of Pan African identity. There, some people who are considered mixed will unabashedly describe themselves as preto or africano. In other areas, self-perception and nomenclature are different......

Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times
A Brazilian friend of mine once came to the United States and asked, "Why do Black Americans talk differently than White Americans?" Hmmm ...

Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
A Brazilian friend of mine once came to the United States and asked, "Why do Black Americans talk differently than White Americans?" Hmmm ...
Hmmmm. have you realized white Americans have different accents as well? Black Americans generally sound closer to southerners than northerners.......hmmmmm

Old 12-24-2008, 06:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Hmmmm. have you realized white Americans have different accents as well? Black Americans generally sound closer to southerners than northerners.......hmmmmm
It's called talking ghetto :P

Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yes. Especially in areas such as Bahia, Sergipe, Alagoas, Pernambuco, Ceara, etc, in the Northeast, that have large black/mixed populations, there are literally hundreds of descriptive categories and terms. In Bahia, which is the "blackest" state in Brazil, many people have developed a level of race consciousness and sense of Pan African identity. There, some people who are considered mixed will unabashedly describe themselves as preto or africano. In other areas, self-perception and nomenclature are different......

What's wrong with that? If they claim anything else, some moron will be quick to call them black, or racial slur. I think it's awesome they are taking pride with the color of their skin and tracking their roots back to Africa. After all man originated from Africa.

Let's not forget Latino/Hispanic is a made up racial group, but you don't see people questioning that!

Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Who do whites in the north speak differently than whites in the south?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-24-2008 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: leave out the personal comments

Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
What's wrong with that? If they claim anything else, some moron will be quick to call them black, or racial slur. I think it's awesome they are taking pride with the color of their skin and tracking their roots back to Africa. After all man originated from Africa.

Let's not forget Latino/Hispanic is a made up racial group, but you don't see people questioning that!

Never said anything was wrong with that, just an observation. What in my language led you to think otherwise?

Other than that, I am not sure I get your point here. Everyone should take pride in their ancestry.......with African Brazilians it is easy to identify with what is true, and Africa is everywhere in this part of Brazil. Calling someone who is black black is not moronic; using a racial slur for any human is. BTW, many people question the existence of Latino/Hispanic as a group; furthermore, it is not a racial group at all.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It's called talking ghetto :P
Ghetto has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 PM

19 posts, read 79,449 times
no. It is much worse. Much.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyc3 View Post
no. It is much worse. Much.
Yep. I think so too. People from America and may see people of different shades of colors interacting on the streets and say, "Wow. Racial tensions are better here than the U.S." But that's a naive way of analyzing things. I see men and women interacting on the streets, but does that mean sexism is low, or non-existent? Brazil has a laidback culture, and when people are busy getting off the sun, the tropical air, the scenery, the women, and the smiles they'll overlook all the horrible social problems that exist in that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas