Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times

Advertisements

*shudders*

When I hear "spoken word" I think of fat lesbians going on about their vaginas.

Sorry, go on - I have nothing intelligent to contribute.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,873 times
Geography Freak, ewww... Very funny. Try googling global soul, neo-soul, nu soul, etc. Time to break out of that box, imo.

Check this youtube vid out; it comes close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS6KZZWIqmc

Last edited by Indi9; 01-12-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM

15 posts, read 61,196 times
cant say much about brasil, but i was with a group of brasilians when they got kicked out of a disco by a black bouncer and they were screaming racist slurs. after they left the disco, they were screaming racial slurs at other blacks that had nothing to do with the disco. as for america, it seems that blacks and whites get a long, but many whites still have negative thoughts about blacks. theres a lot of racism in america directed at mexicans and muslims. but still, you wouldnt expect to see whites beating up mexicans and muslims at a walmart parking lot. most of the racism is not very obvious. it's a lot more subtle.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 AM

578 posts, read 963,011 times
The USA is very mixed. The USA is most likely more mixed race than Brazil. People need to realize that race mixing as well as racism are global.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
The USA is very mixed. The USA is most likely more mixed race than Brazil. People need to realize that race mixing as well as racism are global.
I don't agree with that statement but I will say that the Unites States is a more racially diverse country than Brazil. The Pardo(mixed race) population in Brazil makes up a much higher percentage of the population than the mixed race population in the Unites States. I believe the Pardo population in Brazil is over 40%.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't agree with that statement but I will say that the Unites States is a more racially diverse country than Brazil. The Pardo(mixed race) population in Brazil makes up a much higher percentage of the population than the mixed race population in the Unites States. I believe the Pardo population in Brazil is over 40%.
That depends on your idea of what mixed race is or constitutes. Most of USA is mixed race, as in multigenerational multiracial mixing. The number of mixed race peoples whether first generation mixed and/or multigenerational race mixing combined will still outnumber the mixed race populations of Brazil combined.

I'm talking about ancestry wise. This is a matter of ancestry.

Most of the USA is mixed race

Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most of USA is diverse definitely, but at the same time the USA is also very mixed race as well. It's just a matter of how people identify as.

Most black identified people and white identified people in the USA are mixed. And if you include those from areas that were known as mixed race hotspot areas that's an even larger number.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 20,655 times
Although Brazil has had more interracial mixing and no official segregation like much of the US had, in practice there are, both in relative and real terms, far fewer Black actors, models, politicians, businesspeople and professionals in Brazil than in the US. As in the rest of Latin America, Brazilian beauty ideals in particular are very Eurocentric, and much of the Black population in the country forms an underclass with limited-to-no education who are either jailed, unemployed, or do low-skilled jobs, especially cleaning and domestic service.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could almost say that Brazil is a flipped version of the US geographically and culturally, in a sense. It is interesting that the Black Belt of the Western Hemisphere in pretty much around the Caribbean and the regions of North America and South America adjacent to the Caribbean. Hence, the reason why the "Blackest" part of Brazil is in the Northeast and the "Blackest" part of the US is in the Southeast.
The Pacific coasts and sides of the Western Hemisphere have very large black populations and significant presences of African descendants. Slave trading regions took place from Eastern Africa and in and among the Pacific regions. Not just the Atlantic etc. IJS

Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by najbritcol View Post
Although Brazil has had more interracial mixing and no official segregation like much of the US had, in practice there are, both in relative and real terms, far fewer Black actors, models, politicians, businesspeople and professionals in Brazil than in the US. As in the rest of Latin America, Brazilian beauty ideals in particular are very Eurocentric, and much of the Black population in the country forms an underclass with limited-to-no education who are either jailed, unemployed, or do low-skilled jobs, especially cleaning and domestic service.
The USA had lots of racial mixing. Brazil is not exactly some racial harmony or racial paradise btw either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas