Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:29 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times

Advertisements

We loved St. Thomas when we visited there. Didnt care too much for St. Maarteen ; I thought it would have been the other way around. When we visited both places while we were cruising, we rented a jeep for both of the days and jsut drove and drove around, went off the beaten track in both places.

I loved Magens Bay. We arent beach people, but just loved it there.
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 23,878 times
Default St Martin????

St. Martin is a very nice vacation spot. I like it too.

But as a living spot, I believe it is a risky bet. Isn't it is a dry island that has to desalianate it's water with petroleum? Want to live where your water has a carbon footprint? Of course they do catch rainwater, but as currents and gulf streams shift, rain fall is not a given.

Barbados does have its own water.

Particularly when looking at an island for living, think sustainability!

Jen

Old 05-05-2007, 06:13 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Remember if you need to work, you will have difficulty with finding employment outside PR or the USVI. The BVIs in particular HAVE to have no other option than to hire an outsider, and their work visas seem to be only a short period of time and when it's up, it's up and you're on your way. Some of the islands outside the USVI will require a partnership of sorts with someone who is a local in order to actually own land or run a business.

We lived on St. Croix, in the USVI, for 14 months. St. Thomas is overcrowded and too touristy for my tastes. St. Croix has nothing industry-wise to offer and the locals are seeming to resent the sudden influx of mainlanders. St. John and Water Island are only for the very rich, IMHO, although St. John is probably the most beautiful place on earth since most of it is national park from Rockefeller days.

I can truthfully say that island living is not for everyone. Sounds very Jimmy Buffett-ish and wonderful, but it can be a hard way to live since so much has to be shipped in.....we found sticker shock to be just awful, but we're in rural Arkansas where the living is cheap. Salaries are not commensurate with the mainland. And the VI's are a territory and therefore have no standing in American government, no real representation....St. Croix has a HUGE unemployment problem.

We enjoyed our time there but came back with rusted everything, from cars to antique light fixtures. The sea air is tough on everything.....and while it sounds good for a dream, try going and spending a month on any island and living like a local, maneuvering traffic, shopping in local spots, and finding the off the beaten track non-tourist spots - that's where you will get your real taste of daily life - and it's much more difficult than you think.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:58 AM

49 posts, read 307,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
I used to live on the west coast of Puerto Rico- I just wanted to share some pics! It's a lot different than San Juan...

Wow.. it looks beautiful. Did you enjoy living there?

Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatjenafair View Post
If you are looking for an escape spot off the beaten track, you might consider Dominica. I is affordable, safe and is very welcoming to expats.

I moved here a couple of years ago and both my husband and I are very glad we made the jump! In fact, I wrote a book about my experience with moving from the US to the Caribbean (livingdominica.com).

Right now Dominica is an incredible bargain, but this can't last. I am so glad we moved when we did.

Jen
What are the schools like? Do folks move their with children?

Old 05-06-2007, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 219,309 times
Anguilla -- it's mad expensive, but if I had the paper.....

Also, Aruba -- cause it's outside the hurricane belt, and it don't rain there.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:20 PM

222 posts, read 691,121 times
Default Questions about PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
I used to live on the west coast of Puerto Rico- I just wanted to share some pics! It's a lot different than San Juan...

How long did you live in PR?
Why did you move there?
What was it like?
Did you speak Spanish before you moved there or did you learn while living there?
Did you work while living on the island? was employment and good pay difficult to find?

Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
easiest place to live and work for aus citizen is either Puerto Rico or the USVI's. I love ST JOhn and have friend who have lived on StThomas and ST JOhn and now on Jost Van **** (BVI's)
STT has a private school that is pretty good I believe. Kids take a ferry over form the smaller Islands.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
St. John is gorgeous and VERY, VERY expensive to live on. If you don't have to work, Jost is a good choice, but there just isn't much there at this time. St. John is approximately 80% national park, and finding accommodations to purchase below a million bucks is a trick - even renting is iffy at best, and you almost have to be on island and looking someone in the eye with a job lined up to get any attention at all.

The USVI has a poor school system overall - and private schools can run anywhere from $8000-12000 per year.

The west end of Puerto Rico is completely different than the San Juan area - completely - and very lovely.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Personally I would recomend the British Virgin Islands, Bahamas, and the lesser antilles.

Puerto Rico and Jamaica have HUGE issues with crime and drugs/drug abuse. US Virgin Islands to a lesser extent. Cuba is communist. The Dominican Republic is very poor. Haiti is unstable.

Mexico I don't have any knowledge on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas