Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 PM

371 posts, read 1,362,276 times

Advertisements

Thinking of going down there short term and wondering which are the safest towns with fun things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Thinking of going down there short term and wondering which are the safest towns with fun things to do?
Google Cabarete...Is really nice and safe.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM

486 posts, read 984,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Just like somone else said, Cabarete is good, there are plenty of things to do if you like windsurfing and high tides, definitely the place for you. The town is young and vibrant, kind of geared towards a young crowd. If that's what you're looking for then go for Cabarete. However, to go from Cabarete to other cities in DR is a bit more complicated since it's not a city in it of itself. If you want to be in a city, Santiago de los Caballeros or Puerto Plata(so long as you stay on good neighborhoods), there are plenty of private gated communities that are safe to live in. There is also a good percentage of English-speaking people and transportation to just about everywhere in the country is vast. I lived in the Dominican Republic so I have a little bit of insight. Hey there's also this website which is extremely helpful: www.dr1.com

Last edited by gf1025; 07-11-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
Puerto Plata seemed ok.

It was a while back, of course, but the locals were nice. I went off alone to go skin diving and I won't do stuff like that everywhere. There were locals and tourists out in the water. The locals got a kick out of the diving knife I had and a kid kept bugging me to give it to him, lol.

I went to a rum factory near there as part of a tourist group off one of the ships that stops there to refuel or whatever. IIRC, it was "Brugal" rum, or something like that, and I found it interesting -- but not as cool as a visit to the one in P.R.

I have a bud that bummed around the area doing odd jobs for a while, and he mentioned "Cabarete" in conversations.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
I've been to Cabarete and Sosua, both seemed pretty safe to me even at night.
Cabarete is really nice at night beachside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas