U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2009, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 30,627 times

Advertisements

Hi! Sorry for the long thread, I'm new to this forum stuff, but people on here are always so helpful that I thought I'd give it a shot...

I plan on learning Spanish at home for the next two months and then traveling to a Latin American country to enroll in an immersion program for a month and then maybe tour South America for a couple of weeks after that.

My question is: in which country should I study? The most important factor for me is safety (including non-corrupt law enforcement—or at least not-so-corrupt) since I am a female in my 20s and will be traveling alone (although I hear it may be just a little easier for me since I could pass for a fair-skinned Hispanic). Next would be somewhere where there are things to do/see (I will be there for a month, after all). It would also be nice if they had decent hospitals or doctors in case I needed to see a doctor for some reason. Any magical place with a good mix of all of those or am I just kidding myself?

My first choice was Santiago, Chile, as I thought it fulfilled my requirements. However, I found out that their way of speaking is very different from any other Spanish speaking country (i.e. they drop letters not only at the end, but also the middle of words and contract words together) and that it would be hard for other Latin Americans (e.g. Mexicans, which there are a lot of in California) to understand them, let alone someone who is just trying to learn the language. So I sort of crossed that off my list—unless people think it’s not a big deal and that I should study there anyway. My other choices were Miraflores, Peru; one of the west coast beaches of Costa Rica; or Veracruz, Queretaro, or Oaxaca, Mexico. I need opinions and information from people to help me decide. Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,435,977 times
How about reading through this thread If you wanted to choose a Spanish speaking country to live/work in, which one would you choose for a family? and then posting any additional questions in that thread?
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or