Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

32 posts, read 65,121 times

Advertisements

Elcoyteloco,

Congrats on your plans and school. I consider myself BRITERICAN my own hybrid of British American because I love the US so much. I am in Dallas right now. Although I am not a fan of bbq, I think that a joint like the real ones in Texas would go down really well in a place like Glasgow where meat is big.

Every single one of my family members that have come over to visit have fallen in love with things including, the real mom n pop Texas BBQ joints, Latin food varieties, and our other many food varieties, especially Cajun and Creole. Not the junky chains some people go to, but the really good places, you know what I mean...........

I think much of the difference is that other countries often alter the foods to sort of lure in diners and make it more appealing and familiar. I have yet to find a decent or well what I mean is authentic Tex or Mexican place in the UK. They are fine for what they are, just not the real deal. Even salsa varieties are nothing close to being similar to Texas or Central or South America.

When it comes to BBQ, I can just see my Scottish family members scarfing down boudain an brisket. I was even forced to drive them to a place called Longview, Texas to go to a place called "Bodacious BBQ".

That is why I think a truedat ;-) BBQ or real Texican place would go over great.

I have never ever been a fan of Scottish beef, just not my taste at all (plus I am picky about meats and like veggies). But most of my Scottish friends love it. I prefer TEX beef all the way, that or South American.

Good luck!!!!!!!! Sounds Exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 AM

202 posts, read 565,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfucious View Post
Elcoyteloco,

Congrats on your plans and school...Good luck!!!!!!!! Sounds Exciting.
Thanks! Have you tried Bodean's in London? They seem to have more of an Americana thing going on than I would want, but I heard they do some pretty good Kansas City barbecue.

You should take advantage of being in Dallas and make some road trips to the various towns that make up the Central Texas "barbecue belt". Here's a couple of articles you might find useful:

Touring the Austin Texas Barbecue Belt (http://www.amazingribs.com/blog/2008-07-07_touring_the_texas_BBQ_belt.html - broken link)

BBQ08: Texas Monthly June 2008 You might need to register, but Texas Monthly has a lot of good content anyway, like this one on hamburgers (another Texas invention): 50 Best Burgers in Texas: Texas Monthly

Cheers, good buddy!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Did you ever open this - or does anyone know of a place where i can get anything remotely close to NC BBQ. i am from the heart of BBQ country with Lexington NC being less than an hour away. I miss the vinegar based sauce of the east as well as the mustard based sauce of SC. does anyone know of any recipies for either of these - let alone a place I could find it?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,986,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about opening a restaurant, specializing in American Southern cuisine and barbecue, in one of the following countries: Germany, Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden or Norway.

I do Central Texas style bbq, which is mostly beef, but I'm going to learn the Carolina styles because they're very knowledgeable about pork. The quality will be fine-dining level (I'm currently in chef school) but I want the atmosphere to be relaxed and friendly, like a high quality diner or roadside cafe.

Are there any Europeans here familiar with this type of food? Do you enjoy it, and do you think it would do well in your country? Comments from any expats would be appreciated, too, of course.

I really would like to hear your honest opinions about my region's food and how it would be received, so please don't try to spare my feelings. Negative attitudes regarding my cuisine and culture are just as useful as positive, imo.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!
This thread is funny to me since we cook this way at my house (Oklahoma) all the time. I guess it's the same as me wanting to open up a Chinese or Mexican restaurant. Just make sure you serve potato salad, cole slaw, mashed pototoes, macaroni & cheese, fried potatoes... ok- basically very starchy, fatty side-items.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,575,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
This thread is funny to me since we cook this way at my house (Oklahoma) all the time. I guess it's the same as me wanting to open up a Chinese or Mexican restaurant. Just make sure you serve potato salad, cole slaw, mashed pototoes, macaroni & cheese, fried potatoes... ok- basically very starchy, fatty side-items.
I thought the guy that wanted to open a BBQ place overseas was from Texas......yeah, I have cooked those sides all my life but, as times changed, I lightened up those same recipes and they are still good. Somehow, Paula Deen seems to be doing okay with those foods....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas