U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 05:56 PM

2,968 posts, read 2,630,758 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of traveling to the DR this summer for vacation and doing a little research I've noticed the CDC recommends certain vaccinations (Hepatitis A & B, Typhoid) I was wondering if anyone on here took the risk & traveled there on vacation and not got those vaccinations?? Have you encountered any health issues?? Did you stay just on the resort to avoid getting exposed? I'd be staying in Punta Cana...I appreciate any valuable input....

Old 12-17-2009, 07:27 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I've been to the Dominican Republican and around 50 other countries where the U.S. government encourages vacinations - Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, on and on.

I have never got any vaccinations for going to any of them.

The U.S. is an overly cautious place...they warn you about every tiny little miniscule thing when a person leaves the U.S. I've often thought it would be interesting if they created websites for our own cities in the U.S. - for example, be careful going to New Orleans, there have been X cases of the ' ' and crime is known to be very high, etc., etc.

Anyways...generally speaking....vaccinations are recommended if you are going to be in the poverty stricken areas - places where you'll be swimming in the rivers where kids are urinate or use as a public toilet, etc. type places.

Generally speaking...if people are just with their cameras walking around the tourist areas and beaches...it is pretty sanitized, etc..that it really isn't necessary. Most people won't say that though, as always, you'd hate to be blamed if on some rare chance they did catch something.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
Thousands of people go to the DR every month without vaccinations and the odds of you coming into contact with any nasty bugs are slim.

That said, the long-term ramifications of either Hep A or B are pretty serious and they can be prevented by a couple of pretty cheap needles.

What did Clint Eastwood say?

Do ya feel lucky?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The U.S. is an overly cautious place...they warn you about every tiny little miniscule thing when a person leaves the U.S. I've often thought it would be interesting if they created websites for our own cities in the U.S. - for example, be careful going to New Orleans, there have been X cases of the ' ' and crime is known to be very high, etc., etc.
Don't forget that before coming to New England you will need to worry to death about Lime disease and the West Nile Virus. Enjoy your visit!

OP, you have little to worry about. The chances of getting any of those diseases are very slim, and you are only really at risk if you are planning to head on your own into remote rural areas. And even then, the risk is relatively low. I say you have a better chance of catching a cold in Orlando before your trip than catching anything in the DR.

Been there many times and one time I got it, it hurt so bad, was horrible. I thought I was going to die. I got, I got, I got..... sunburned! Oh, the horror!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM

2,968 posts, read 2,630,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Don't forget that before coming to New England you will need to worry to death about Lime disease and the West Nile Virus. Enjoy your visit!

OP, you have little to worry about. The chances of getting any of those diseases are very slim, and you are only really at risk if you are planning to head on your own into remote rural areas. And even then, the risk is relatively low. I say you have a better chance of catching a cold in Orlando before your trip than catching anything in the DR.

Been there many times and one time I got it, it hurt so bad, was horrible. I thought I was going to die. I got, I got, I got..... sunburned! Oh, the horror!

Alright appreciate the reassurance...I've made the decision to vacation there later this year...Hopefully it'll be tons of fun.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,341,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post

But that is only the DR. I have lived in africa,in a city,and se asia. i have had malaria,dysentry,etc. and people who are lifelong expats have had tape worms,etc. not to say you should never get vaccines when travelling. just that every country has it's relative precautionary measures. and some folks who come to the US get sick at first from our water-different bacteria and flora to adjust to.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM

58 posts, read 131,136 times
My girlfriend and I backpacked through the Dominican for three weeks last summer with no shots and we were fine. We never set foot in a resort area, stayed in the cheapest hostels available, ate cheap food, drank a lot, road cheap buses, hiked, road horses through the country, we were basically outdoors at all times and experienced no problems. Especially if you're only staying in Punta Cana, you won't experience any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or