U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 PM

248 posts, read 979,929 times

Advertisements

I wanna stay about a week there.

talk to me if you been there...how do i get there? thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 7,768,104 times
I am assuming you do not have an official State Department issued certificate for travel to Cuba, and would like to go there without being hassled or fined upon return to the US. First, remember that your US credit cards cannot be used for buying airplane tickets to Cuba or for paying for any tour package into Cuba. Also, you US issued credit cards cannot be used when in Cuba. Euros or US dollars are what you want to have when in Cuba.

From Chicago, the easiest way is to buy a round trip ticket direct to Cancun, Mexico. In Cancun, you can go to a travel agency and book a round trip airfare and a hotel package deal, Cancun to Havana. You could contact a travel agency in Cancun in advance and have them make the reservations for you in advance or get you price quotes. Several good airlines fly from Cancun to Havana such as Mexicana or Aeromexico. Be prepared to pay in cash, which could be Mexican Pesos, US dollars or Euro depending on the travel agency.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 AM

12,719 posts, read 14,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am assuming you do not have an official State Department issued certificate for travel to Cuba, and would like to go there without being hassled or fined upon return to the US. First, remember that your US credit cards cannot be used for buying airplane tickets to Cuba or for paying for any tour package into Cuba. Also, you US issued credit cards cannot be used when in Cuba. Euros or US dollars are what you want to have when in Cuba.
I believe that the Cubans will also not stamp your passport, but will issue you a stamped certificate in lieu of that. In this way you would avoid having evidence in your passport of entering Cuba.

It's worth Googling around to find out.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM

177 posts, read 470,320 times
Yes, you can go from Cancun but also from Canada.

Avoid getting your passport stamped so you don't get in trouble with the U.S. gov.

Also, take cash. You can't use your credit cards there

Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,306,134 times
The US has customs personnel at airports like Pearson in Toronto, and in Cancun, and it is possible that your flight information could be shared through various channels with US authorities.

You might consider flying to Havana via Caracas. So far as people can tell, those itineraries are not shared with US authorities.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,429,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The US has customs personnel at airports like Pearson in Toronto, and in Cancun, and it is possible that your flight information could be shared through various channels with US authorities.

You might consider flying to Havana via Caracas. So far as people can tell, those itineraries are not shared with US authorities.

US Customs and Immigration personnel located in Canadian airports are there strictly to pre-clear persons entering the US on US-bound flights.

That said, the US currently requires the passenger manifest for any aircraft over-flying US territory to be filed with USCBP.

Surely though, the bastion of freedom wouldn't have a program in place to watch and track the movements of its citizens outside US borders.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,806,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Surely though, the bastion of freedom wouldn't have a program in place to watch and track the movements of its citizens outside US borders.
If it's meant to track citizens who might be attempting to travel to Cuba in violation of U.S. law, then yes it would.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,306,134 times
Quote:
the bastion of freedom
Ah, yes, it's funny how some of those theoretical freedoms perished so easily under the Helms-Burton Act...

Quote:
If it's meant to track citizens who might be attempting to travel to Cuba in violation of U.S. law, then yes it would.
The US has done a bit of this in the past. It is, of course, completely unethical and contrary to the very notion of "freedom" (freedom of travel in this case), but the US Treasury Department is more concerned with revenue than the abstract freedoms of US citizens.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,581,422 times
I never understood why the travel ban is still in place! I agree it runs contrary to the principles of freedom and democracy!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,429,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I never understood why the travel ban is still in place! I agree it runs contrary to the principles of freedom and democracy!

That's large can of worms and any in-depth discussion of it should take place over in the Politics forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas