U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,301,191 times

Advertisements

I have basic Spanish skills and want to improve them by enrolling in a Spanish language immersion program. There are programs all over Latin America and am open to any suggestions, but I want somewhere CHEAP. Not necessarily for housing or transportation, but more for food and leisure.

If you could give me a top 5 list of Latin American countries that have low costs of living, and if there are certain expensive cities to avoid (Buenos Aires) I would appreciate noting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,043,582 times
My vote is for Guatemala, specifically Antigua. The costs are arond $200 a week, and that includes 20-25 hours of 1-on-1 class, a room, and 2-3 meals.

There are many schools there, some better than others. So, you may end up with a teacher that is not great. However, it is easy to change teachers, or host families if you are not satisfied.

Guatemala365 - A Survey of Spanish Schools - Learn Spanish in Guatemala

Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM

32,252 posts, read 33,161,989 times
I would recommend Ecuador.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:19 PM

27 posts, read 123,074 times
the favelas of rio or mexico city or cartagena or caracas or asuncion or bogota or lima or....
just don't forget your kevlar vest and pistola or bodyguard.
they're cheap for a reason.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,430,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfscuba View Post
the favelas of rio or mexico city or cartagena or caracas or asuncion or bogota or lima or....
Why would he go to Rio if he wants to study Spanish? I would recommend Colombia.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,043,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfscuba View Post

Funny.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 PM

316 posts, read 893,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I have basic Spanish skills and want to improve them by enrolling in a Spanish language immersion program. There are programs all over Latin America and am open to any suggestions, but I want somewhere CHEAP. Not necessarily for housing or transportation, but more for food and leisure.

If you could give me a top 5 list of Latin American countries that have low costs of living, and if there are certain expensive cities to avoid (Buenos Aires) I would appreciate noting them.
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, also known as Xela(pronounced Shayla). Loaded with cheap schools with cheap homestays. Not as pretty as Antigua, but cheaper and bigger town with more going on. Check out Xela Pages on Google.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM

438 posts, read 1,190,069 times
Recommend Argentina, the interior, Cordoba. Intellectual Capital of the nation, known as "la Docta"
You can do an exchange program there, (Function /academic details-CV will have to be supplied)......no age restrictions) be home hosted (normally ith a family who has an orientation toward your area of study/professionalism) Contact www.tcef.org who may be able to help you with your enquiries.....
Good luck!
D

Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 PM

740 posts, read 1,767,636 times
I second Ecuador. Especially if you enjoy learning about various cultures and love ancient history like myself, and love the outdoors. It is an outdoor lovers paradise. Very cheap...and the Spanish is considered pretty pure with no real accents, so might be a bit easier to learn. Check out Quito and Cuenca in particular.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM

433 posts, read 1,720,803 times
I was going to say Ecuador as well! You can also teach English there and some institutos offer free Spanish if you are a native speaker of English, provided you work for them. I love Ecuador!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or