U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,264 posts, read 5,056,895 times

Advertisements

For a spell, before I retired, I looked into moving to Panama (and Costa Rica and Equador, but Panama was the most recent). Now that we are retired and have purchased homes in both SC and FL, it probably won't happen. Besides I never did learn Spanish.

But, I was just curious if anyone on this site who was born in the US has made the move to Panama? If so, I'd be happy to hear your expierences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
I am bumping up this topic, as I would be equally interested to hear experiences.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:58 PM

11,874 posts, read 9,591,378 times
Hi everyone. I've lived in Panama coming up on 6 years now. I knew maybe 5 words of Spanish when I moved here. My primary objective was quality of life but since I'm too young to retire had to start a biz. I live in all Panamanian neighborhoods and always have. Even being a single female and obviously from the States, I've never once had problems. Think the real key is, well, just treating others respectfully.

I did just post on my blog a recent article from AARP's magazine about Boquete, which is in the Highlands where I live. Of course the Republic is very diverse, so there's a place for everyone - well, unless one is expecting "little North America". We do have a strong US influence with the canal and all of that but we're not like say Cabo where one feels like they're still in the States.

There are also some other blog posts that talk about retirement benefits etc., cost of living and other info Anyway, there's no place in the world I'd rather be

Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 PM

739 posts, read 1,609,356 times
Okay, I'll give this thread a 'bump' to see if much has changed between 2010, when this thread was begun, and 2013.

We've been talking about relocating somewhere less expensive than here (Ashland, Oregon) but two monkey wrenches were thrown into our discussions. Grandson Number One and Grandson Number Two. I just adore them and would miss them very much. They live close by with my daughter and son-in-law.

Still, even that mitigating circumstance doesn't alleviate the fact that someday we could just plain run out of money (he is 71 and retired, I am 58 and do not work). It would make good economic sense for us to pull up stakes, live where it is cheaper (and maybe more interesting?) and come home to visit.

The more I read about countries with great weather which are located in the Americas, Boquete continues to stand out. It would be wonderful to know what life there would be like, including information on satellite tv, wifi and other amenities, whether they exist or not. "International Living" is like one big cheering section for all of these countries. They write nothing about crime rates, safety issues, etc.

Anybody out there who lives in Boquete or David who might like to share? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM

9,856 posts, read 10,104,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
The more I read about countries with great weather which are located in the Americas, Boquete continues to stand out. It would be wonderful to know what life there would be like, including information on satellite tv, wifi and other amenities, whether they exist or not. "International Living" is like one big cheering section for all of these countries. They write nothing about crime rates, safety issues, etc.
As you probably gathered, Panama is muggy hot, and not the easiest place to live in when you are over age 70. Boquete at about 3500' in altitude is much cooler than the rest of the country, but you will get bored sooner or later and want to come into the city.

Personally, I am somewhat wary of American retirement towns in Latin America. They may not be the hedge against future cost of living increases as much as you may think. San Miguel de Allende in Mexico went from being a hippie town to a very expensive place to live as more and more the American wealthy retired there.

Del Bajío International Airport or Aeropuerto Internacional de Guanajuato is very near one of the cultural centers of Mexico, Guanajuato. It's a beautiful city, with the streets buried in tunnels under the city, favored by many of Mexico's wealthy. You have easy access to flights to the USA, and you would be living in a place that is really running on the Latin American economy (with some tourism). Prices will be considerably lower for transportation, housing, restaurants, etc. While you can get by on English waving your hands, you will probably have to learn some Spanish. You are more likely to meet with European tourists than Americans.

While your neighbor (even a Mexican American) will tell you that Mexican violence is appalling, keep in mind that many states are actually safer than Canada. The violence rate in Mexico is extraordinarily high in Ciudad Juárez (the world's murder capital) and Sinaloa, Chihuahua, etc. But much of the country is very calm. Simply exercise the same caution that you would in the USA.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM

18 posts, read 6,469 times
Default Where I was Born

I am the opposite: I was born in Panama and then moved to the USA.
Suffice it to say that I am returning to Panama to retire there....
Am I making myself clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas