U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM

36 posts, read 37,058 times
I can't say why she did things the way she did. But she couldn't buy a round trip ticket for her, and a return ticket for him. I wasn't there, I don't know exactly what was said as I wasn't there. But driving up there is the best option now.

I don't know that I would call it a "sightseeing trip" it's a non stop (except bathroom breaks as we are taking food with us) 40 hour drive to juneau. On the way back the drive may be taken a little slower, but we aren't even planning to be in alaska any longer than it takes to get her son. I'm hoping to get some great photos, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM

15,944 posts, read 15,532,093 times
I don't buy it, sorry.

If she is truly the legal custodial parent, she won't be needing anyone's signature to take her son home.

If she has it arranged so that the child can cross both borders, she has what's necessary for him to fly.

Most parents in that situation would have simply flown up by now. I'm sure that the sherriff could help clear up any misunderstanding that the airlines might have.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
everything is too bizarre, from wanting to fly and boat on a daily basis to get a kid to ski team training to driving to get a kidnapped kid in juneau. maybe too much tequila (or crack).

This was a totally unplanned happening this weekend.

I had hoped that after we move there we would be able to fly or boat to save commute time, but I realize now that isn't possible, due to conditions I didn't know about. But that is a different topic.

She asked me to go with her, so the drive can be made straight through, and I am not tied into a set work schedule. I work from home. She also knew that I was wanting to make a trip to alaska to scope it out, as we have talked about it. The phone call from the school was completely unexpected and only occurred yesterday.

Although I was aware of what was going on with her family, it wasn't my family, and had little bearing on what I was planning. I just thought it was interesting that shortly after starting to talk to people on this board about planning to move up there, and being strongly reccommended to visit, that I am going to be driving up there to help her with her family issue. Sure I would like to have a ore leisurely trip, and be able to go all the way out to Anchorage, but that part of it is going to have to wait till I go up there myself. But at least I'll see what the drive out there is like going through canada.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM

By the way...Alaska doesn't have sheriff's offices. There is no such thing as the "Juneau sheriff".

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM

prior to yesterday nobody even knew the child was in alaska at all. The thought was that he was still in Washington somewhere. It was just a surprising turn of events(hense the title). And she didn't have what she needed to get the child across the borders until this morning. As much as she would have liked to get him yesterday, she didn't have a passport, she had to go renew her court order giving her permission to get him back. no matter how badly you may want to do something, sometimes you have to wait on the politics/politicians to work out.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM

Again, Alaska does not have sheriffs.

Again, if she has what it takes to get him across the borders, he can fly on a plane.

What a crock.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Juneau law enforcement. Whatever name they may be using. Here it would be the sheriff. It's just a word and not part of what I'm concerned with. I went with her to get the court order, i know it's legit. I heard her end of the conversation with the border agents and she used my fax machine to send and recieve the documents from them. and we are both going to seattle to get the expidited passport card tomorrow. I've seen the paperwork myself, I know it's legit. I wasn't really posting this to get flamed, I was merely posting to say "hey looks like I'm going to be going to alaska soon after all". Jeez

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM

693 posts, read 923,108 times
Not to mention it takes 2 weeks to get an expedited passport. Found out yesterday and getting passports tomorrow?

Bizarre bizarre.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,753,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't buy it, sorry.

If she is truly the legal custodial parent, she won't be needing anyone's signature to take her son home.

If she has it arranged so that the child can cross both borders, she has what's necessary for him to fly.

Most parents in that situation would have simply flown up by now. I'm sure that the sherriff could help clear up any misunderstanding that the airlines might have.
Driving through Canada you need a signature from the other parent to cross the border ...to fly heck no! When Lizzy and I flew from Kenai to Anchorage, and then from Anchorage to Seattle last year, not a question asked as to our relationship, even though I had the paperwork... and this parent supposedly has a court order to get the child out of protective custody but can't get tickets...one-ways are available and if it were me I would have been there and back home....

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

693 posts, read 923,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TequilaJaden View Post
I wasn't really posting this to get flamed, I was merely posting to say "hey looks like I'm going to be going to alaska soon after all". Jeez
When you post such details expect it. It's just weird, all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage