Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:28 AM

23 posts, read 534,744 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone again....

I was curious to see what everyone's opinions were on the Winters in Anchorage.. We are planning to relocate their in 2008 and I see the average temps never really get below 0... I searched around and saw somewhere where JavaPhil said that it was no colder than Chicago... I talked with a buddy of mine on the phone the other day and told him I was going to move to Anchorage and he (being from Colorado) said it was FREEZING, he said he spent a month there in the winter and was easily below -25 out and it was so cold you couldn't even make a snowball?

So besides going out there, which we plan to do around November probably, how would you compare it to that of another state? I've read other posts where people (Rance maybe) have said that MN is colder in the Winter than Anchorage...

Just looking for some feedback... My girlfriend has a chihuaha/weiner dog and just how long would it take to get Hypothermia in AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
Average temps are like average snowfall or average rain. I lived there for 23 years and some winters there was little very cold weather and some it could be minus 20 for two weeks. Check out the high and low rather than the average and see for yourself.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
I too have heard that it is colder in MN than in Anchorage, but I don't know that for a fact. It wouldn't surprise me though. However, I used to live in Anchorage, and it DOES get cold there. I've seen it -20, or more, several times. I've heard, that on average, it is a little warmer in Anchorage than in several of the northern states. I'd check the stats, to be sure. One difference is the winters are LONGER here, since we are so far north...

Bud

Old 06-29-2007, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,872 times
I lived in Alaska for one wonderful year before moving on in my travels. Being originally from Wisconsin the Anchorage winter (2005-2006) really wasn't bad at all weather-wise. The coldest it really got in the city was right around 0 degrees which isn't all that bad. I spent a good many of my days off out showshoeing through the woods or boarding at Alyeska. The dark comes on early but it allows you the chance to bundle up, drive out of town a little ways and watch the stars and northern lights.
Like I said, I only have 1 Alaskan winter under my belt but in that short amount of time I spent most of it outdoors because it really wasn't too uncomfortable.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,265 times
I did 22 winters in Anchorage and now live in Vt. The overall temperatures are comparable, but cold weather in Anchorage comes sooner and lasts longer. The daylight cycle also back in the lower 48 provides for longer days. The coldest I saw in Anchorage was back in '89 at -34. Here in Vt we had -22 last year with more snow than Anchorage. A good way to compare climate between two locations is to check the seasonal average heating degree days (HDD) Anchorage I believe averages 10,800 to 11,000 and here in Vt we are at 7,600 a season.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,300 times
Anchorage winters seem to be a hit or miss. Some years ago(Maybe 5 or 6), we didn't get snow until January. Almost unbelievable, but it happens. Last winter on the other hand, was really harsh. We had a good 5-6 weeks of below zero weather, which is very unusual. About 3 weeks solid during one stretch. The other 2-3 weeks was spread out. A few cold days here, and another there. We also had a really late spring, or what we call Spring break up. We were getting the nasty cold in March of all times. Last winter we got 120+ inches of snow and broke a few records. The previous winter(2005-2006) was extremely mild, which wasn't so bad. So totally hit or miss.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:53 PM

131 posts, read 533,327 times
I live in Madison WI now but spent 6 years in Anchorage. WI is way colder and just as long as winter in Anchorage.

I would take an Anchorage winter over Madison any day. You will do fine in comparison.

The only big difference is the daylight shortage in winter. That is different. Although the summers more than make up for that. You can not beat an Alaska summer. Not even a comparison to the humid, stormy mid-west. Summers in AK are well worth the winters...

Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default rained every day

When we moved up to Eagle River, it rained every day in November. They were actually having problems with flooding in Anchorage right up through December. Of course, the year before they got about 40 inches of snow in one storm about the middle of Nov., so go figure. November is a wild card, but its not gonna be warm even if its mostly rain instead of snow.

Most winters it seems to hover between zero and freezing through Dec., with a few patches in the negatives in Jan. and Feb. Worst we saw it was about -20 degrees F. for about ten days, maybe two weeks. Pretty cold when you've got an outside job, but nothing compared to Fairbanks. Lots of variation when the days starting getting longer in March, but usually around freezing again. Anything goes from March onwards, could be nice or could snow intermittantly into June.

The larger factor is the light, in Dec. and Jan. the sun never gets over halfway up the zenith before it starts down again, only about 5-6 hours when its above the horizon at all and lots of days overcast with low clouds. You expect to drive to work and back in the dark, but its a bummer when you don't even get any sunshine at lunch.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,449 times
this is my first winter in Anchorage and I must say the only thing I hate about it so far is the ice on the road.I am from Dayton ,Ohio and you would never see ice on the road weeks after just one bout of snow.I came here in early November and snow fell about the first week in November and today is the 22nd of November,2013 and some of the roads are still bumpy and icy.I must say I really don't mind the cold but I am a coward driver and had to get studded tires since I fear skidding on ice.Other wise this is one of the most beautiful city on earth.I will update my post when I have spent one Alaskan winter in Alaska.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 16,254 times
Mauleen, how are you handling the darkness? I am considering purchasing a medical practice in Anchorage but have to admit that the winters scare me... and I have lived in Michigan, Cleveland, NYC and now live in Western CO. I am coming back up there in a couple weeks and hope to get a better idea of how I feel about the place but I always want to hear from those immersed in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage