Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 AM

130 posts, read 277,144 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I will be on a trip from NYC to Portland OR ending up in Hawaii (the main purpose of the trip). I will be going back to Portland OR but will have 2-4 days to take a detour before getting on the plane headed back to NYC.

My question to you is...

Will it be worth it to go to Anchorage for 2-4 days to explore the city? I am obviously energetic and adventurous. I do not have a drivers license (being a native NYer) and will not be with someone who drives. Is it worth it for me to explore Anchorage on foot & taxi? I obviously will be constricted to the city area. Also, this will be from November 1-4.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,607,859 times
Save the money until after you get your drive license. Then come back and do it right. You really need a vehicle to get around. Anchorage is nothing like NYC. I've been to NYC and thought it sucked. Too much concrete, too many buildings and too many people. Plus, I'd pick out a much better time then the first week in November.

The Official Anchorage Alaska Travel Guide from the Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau

This is the kind of stuff you can see if you have a vehicle to get out and explore with. Nothing like this in NYC.

Taku Lake, right in town off of Dimond Blvd.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,065,464 times
I concur. Very few people like Anchorage as a city. It's the amazing location (with city conveniences) that makes the place attractive. Also, it's in November that it starts feeling exceptionally dark here, and there will likely be snow on the ground, but not enough yet for winter outdoor activities.

And besides, that's OUR TIME! NO TOURISTS!!!

Just kidding ...mostly.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 AM

376 posts, read 828,884 times
As my son told me one time while he was in Fairbanks working at the hospital. It will take more than a 2 week vacation to see what Alaska has to offer. I feel the same about Anchorage. I have lived here nearly 1 year now and there are still things and places I haven't seen! 2 days wouldn't give you enough time to enjoy Anchorage.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 AM

3,146 posts, read 3,838,647 times
Agreed, rent a car and drive to Hatcher Pass if nothing else.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,213,800 times
I would not, you are looking at a 4 hour plane ride one way from Portland to Anchorage. It will be cold and dark when you are there that time of year. Summer, yes, November, forget about it. Go to Seattle or Vancouver, you would have more fun.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:54 PM

376 posts, read 828,884 times
Stiffnecked .. I walk or ride my bicycle quite regularly around the Taku Park area. You have a good picture of it here. I heard that the 2 moose calves that lost their mother there are thriving and looking good. I didn't see them on my last ride along the trail. Have you seen them?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 PM

45 posts, read 141,948 times
Anchorage is a wonderful place to visit any time of year. I'd say come on up...
Except you say you have no driver license? This isn't New York, we don't have good mass transit, you will have no way to get around.

Get your license, and then come on up!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,693,063 times
You could rent a bike but I'm not sure if there will be anywhere open to rend a bike at this time of year.

Anchorage is great but unless you have transportation, you wont have that much fun.

Did you know the the CITY of Anchorage is as big as the STATE of Delaware?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,342,287 times
Think all you need is your trusting cellular phone and few good telephone numbers for Taxi service. Anchorage is a very big place once you get off from the Airport area. Hilton Hotel at Alaska Rail Road might be good place to stay. Hilton should have internal driver service to shopping mall and so fourth. remember on segment travel trips travel light. I made a fool of myself had my car jammed packed with stuff coming from Florida to Alaska to work at Chalet Resort Denali National Park 2009. it's wise to travel light now of days. get out of the city area at night sometime to look at Northern Lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage