Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 89,780 times

Advertisements

Dear Alaskians,

My husband and I are relocating to Anchorage area...I need to know the do's and don'ts, and the areas to stay away from-meaning towns. What and how to find a homes, I noticed that their is a lot of homes that dont have either water-well or septic, and/or electric????????? these are remote area's I know but, what is a good area near Anchorage...
What areas in Anchorage are to look out for, bad areas...We also heard their is a lot of prostitution...is this true?

If you can tell me all about Alaska, and email me if you want...We, would love to hear all the bad and good.

Thank you,
rockypoint or
dlea20007@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypoint View Post
Dear Alaskians,

My husband and I are relocating to Anchorage area...I need to know the do's and don'ts, and the areas to stay away from-meaning towns. What and how to find a homes, I noticed that their is a lot of homes that dont have either water-well or septic, and/or electric????????? these are remote area's I know but, what is a good area near Anchorage...
What areas in Anchorage are to look out for, bad areas...We also heard their is a lot of prostitution...is this true?

If you can tell me all about Alaska, and email me if you want...We, would love to hear all the bad and good.

Thank you,
rockypoint or
dlea20007@aol.com
Hi Rockypoint...welcome to Alaska! I wouldn't choose ANY home that didn't have the utilities you mentioned, as likely they are a long ways distant from the city. I used to live in Anchorage, and at the time the worst areas were Mountain View and Spenard (higher crime). You will find an abundance of homes for rent/sale advertised in the local paper (adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more), or go to Google and do a search for "homes Anchorage"...
I don't know about Anchorage having "a lot" of prostitution...it's probably no worse than any other city of that size. If you are staying through the winter, try to pick a place away from the mountains...that area has lots of wind in the winter...and it gets colder for some reason (Muldoon area). Any, yes, there is some gang activity....I wouldn't wear a red ball cap...some gang members are (or were) beating up people who wear "their colors"...
On the positive side: scenery and views on the Hillside are great...there is an abundance of shopping malls and stores...a 2 hour drive will get you into the wilds of Alaska for camping, fishing, hunting, satellite TV works there (DishNet)...and, if for some reason you don't like Anchorage, you can commute there from nearby towns: Birchwood, Eagle River, Peters Creek...all about a 30min drive...

Bud

Old 07-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Hi Rockypoint...welcome to Alaska! I wouldn't choose ANY home that didn't have the utilities you mentioned, as likely they are a long ways distant from the city. I used to live in Anchorage, and at the time the worst areas were Mountain View and Spenard (higher crime). You will find an abundance of homes for rent/sale advertised in the local paper (adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more), or go to Google and do a search for "homes Anchorage"...
I don't know about Anchorage having "a lot" of prostitution...it's probably no worse than any other city of that size. If you are staying through the winter, try to pick a place away from the mountains...that area has lots of wind in the winter...and it gets colder for some reason (Muldoon area). Any, yes, there is some gang activity....I wouldn't wear a red ball cap...some gang members are (or were) beating up people who wear "their colors"...
On the positive side: scenery and views on the Hillside are great...there is an abundance of shopping malls and stores...a 2 hour drive will get you into the wilds of Alaska for camping, fishing, hunting, satellite TV works there (DishNet)...and, if for some reason you don't like Anchorage, you can commute there from nearby towns: Birchwood, Eagle River, Peters Creek...all about a 30min drive...

Bud

Thank you Bud,

You dont live in Anchorage anymore? is this correct?

What do you think about Big Alaska or Wisilla? or inbetween Houston and Wisilla? is this a good area?

thank you,
rockypoint

Old 07-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Bud,

Another question......What was the Alaskan Fund this year to Alaskians?

I saw the 2006 was around 1100.00 per person....has 2007 come out yet? and how is this funded? check?

thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

95 posts, read 351,738 times
it was just posted - around $1500.

Your eligibility date is set by when you apply for your Alaska drivers license. You must live there for a year from that date, and then the following year you are eligible for the PFD.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
As far as prostitution, they cracked down hard on that stuff a couple of years ago, and it seems to have gone underground or is a lot less noticeable. Big Lake is what I think you were asking about. It's a little far out of Anchorage for a winter commute. Wasilla is a nice little town and the property values are a lot lower than inside Anchorage proper.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
Wasilla is growing rapidly and the commute to Anchorage for work is pretty ugly, my son just moved back to Anchorage from the Eagle River area he hated the commute, now he's added an extra 1.5 hours to his day.

Area's to stay away from is Mountain View, Fairview and myself I would stay away from the north side of town. North side of town is cheaper to live in than other area's but it has the larger population count.

If there's a lot of prostitution in Anchorage they have it hid well, although I'm not a evening down town person but I know they shut down a great deal of parlors here in town so they're not so obvious anymore.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 104,628 times
Here is a link to an article in the Anchorage Daily News that gives a pretty good explaination for the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend and this years projected amount. Hope it is helpful.

adn.com | alaska wire : 2007 permanent fund dividend could approach $1,600 (http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ap_alaska/story/9096856p-9013027c.html - broken link)

Last edited by aleutianflower; 07-03-2007 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: to post the actual web link

Old 07-04-2007, 12:57 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default red light zone

Anyone who's giving you the impression that there is a lot of prostitution in Anchorage is probably thinking back to the pipeline days. There are all kinds of "interesting" stories about what happens when you get planeload after planeload of transient pipeline workers back from weeks on the North Slope with fistfulls of cash burning a hole in their pockets. Some of the things I've heard and read about the pipeline years make sailers on shore leave seem like bastions of propriety by comparison.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
I DO know the story behind Gobbler's Knob on the Haul Road. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage