Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Nowhere near California.
Jumpin' jimminie crickets!! It would suck to live in California. Been there lots and wish I never had to go back. Gun control there is horrible. The politicians don't trust the citizens. Taxes suck there. About the only thing I ever saw good come out of California was raisins, dried up sour grapes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Why is Alaska so expensive? What does it have to offer?
The list is too long. There are roughly 50 things that Alaska has to offer. Rather than list all of them, I'll give you the top few, in no particular order, and you can probably extrapolate to determine what the rest of the list looks like.
  • It's not Seattle, WN.
  • It's not Dallas, TX.
  • It's not Los Angeles, CA.
Actually, I guess the list is in order, but it's chronological, with the first item having the most significance for those who came here in the 1940's, 50's and 60's. The middle one being important to those who came in the 70's, 80's and 90's, and for the last 10 or so years the third one has gained a priority position.

The problem of course is that the Texans came to a place that had become much like Seattle. And now those escaping California find... A bigger version of Texas. I don't see Californication actually happening yet, but it's only a matter of time...

You can adjust the area of influence somewhat by looking at other than the main urban centers in Alaska. The above applies to any place close to Anchorage and Fairbanks, for example. But I live in Barrow, where there is a similar influence... that dates back to about 1890 to 1910 and is based on Boston MA and New York, in the form a a whaler named Charles Brower and a political missionary named Sheldon Jackson. Other bush locations are similar, and the timing may be ealier or later, but will be associated with other places and will have come through different people.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Jumpin' jimminie crickets!! It would suck to live in California. Been there lots and wish I never had to go back. Gun control there is horrible. The politicians don't trust the citizens. Taxes suck there. About the only thing I ever saw good come out of California was raisins, dried up sour grapes..
I am talking about overall. Best climate, scenery, tourist attractions, educated folks.

The main thing that sucks is the outragious cost of living in CA. Everything is just too expensive.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:02 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
I am talking about overall. Best climate, scenery, tourist attractions, educated folks.

The main thing that sucks is the outragious cost of living in CA. Everything is just too expensive.

Climate; well if you like 110, yes

Scenery; I beg to differ although parts of CA are nice to look at.

Tourist Attractions; if you are into that sort of thing, CA does have a large variety but Alaska has a different and less expensive "tourist attraction" called NATURE.

Educated Folks; honestly, when we lived there, I did not see any more of them in CA then I see here.

Cost of Living; I found to be extremely similar to AK

Schools, in the Bay Area (where we lived) they were awful! Schools in Alaska seem to be doing better then those in CA.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Climate; well if you like 110, yes

Scenery; I beg to differ although parts of CA are nice to look at.

Tourist Attractions; if you are into that sort of thing, CA does have a large variety but Alaska has a different and less expensive "tourist attraction" called NATURE.

Educated Folks; honestly, when we lived there, I did not see any more of them in CA then I see here.

Cost of Living; I found to be extremely similar to AK

Schools, in the Bay Area (where we lived) they were awful! Schools in Alaska seem to be doing better then those in CA.
CA's temp is nowhere near 110. Where I lived was Northern CA where the high was in early 80's in the summer and dry. Is Alaska diverse in ethnicity?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
CA's temp is nowhere near 110. Where I lived was Northern CA where the high was in early 80's in the summer and dry. Is Alaska diverse in ethnicity?
Obviously you've never been to the Mohave Desert? It's freaking out there in the summer.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
The Mojave Desert is in Northern Cal?

California has some beautiful areas....speaking of nature, the redwoods are incredible.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
CA's temp is nowhere near 110. Where I lived was Northern CA where the high was in early 80's in the summer and dry.

K, what ever you say.

Quote:
Is Alaska diverse?
Yes, Alaska is very diverse! Just in Anchorage there are 63 different countries represented here.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

California has some beautiful areas....speaking of nature, the redwoods are incredible.

Yes it does and yes they are!

There is amazing scenery in most places around the US.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM

OMG! how ridiculous is it to be arguing about Alaska and California is a thread with a Texan??
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage