Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,634 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Anchorage area in June. We're currently looking at houses in either Eagle River or South Anchorage area, but where we settle will depend upon the schools for my 4th grade son. Does anyone have any insight as to how the charter/private schools compare with the best public schools? I've read good things about Ravenwood in Eagle River. Does anyone have an opinion about Eagle Academy Charter School? What about Bear Valley or Huffman vs. Grace Christian or Aquarian Charter School? Any others I should be looking at? My son is bright and needs to be challenged. He needs motivation, enthusiastic and fun teachers, and a nice group of peers. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
My younger kids have gone to the Rilke Schule German Immersion Charter. I thought it was a really good school and there are a lot of very well off families there have placed their children there. My kids have not been to any other school in Anchorage.
There are a lot of really great alternatives here in the Anchorage area. Have you looked into the waldorf school too?

What age are your children?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Ravenwood is a exemplary school although it is not very culturally diverse like many of the schools in north Anchorage. Bear Valley & Huffman always seem to get high ratings on standardized tests & ASD report cards, but then again these schools do not have high cultural diversity like the schools that have kids with many languages at home.

Your son will only have a year or at most 2, depending upon the school, before he goes to middle school so check out middle schools too. ASD has a great IGNITE (gifted program) at each elementary school. However, if your son is highly gifted, check out the highly gifted program at Rogers Park Elementary. However, one tests into that highly gifted program.

The language immersion school programs cannot be entered at 4th grade unless your child speaks the target language.

You can go on ASD Online -- The website of the Anchorage School District website, click on elementary, charter or middle schools, click on the individual school & see the school report card with demographics, test score data, whether the school met AYP, etc.

Good luck & hope this helps!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
sorry, I read your post too fast. Bongo is right. Your son cannot go to any of the language immersion schools at this age unless they already speak the language.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM

23 posts, read 53,707 times
EAGLE RIVER, for the love of God! I don't want to be rude, but I don't give a damn about cultural diversity. You can travel with your kids and show them cultural diversity. Cultural diversity is always jammed down our throats... especially universities. I just want my kid goes to a great and safe school. My wife and I are well travelled and teach our children to respect other cultures. Place your kids in the best possible school, be their advocate and screw the "diversity" aspect. I do not apologize to those offended by my comments.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM

23 posts, read 57,756 times
Quote:
Your son will only have a year or at most 2, depending upon the school, before he goes to middle school so check out middle schools too. ASD has a great IGNITE (gifted program) at each elementary school. However, if your son is highly gifted, check out the highly gifted program at Rogers Park Elementary. However, one tests into that highly gifted program.
The IA program at Rogers Park is in a completely different league from IGNITE. It offers full-time gifted education rather than pullouts and has much greater options for math acceleration.

If you are looking for a very alternative school, I have heard excellent things about Steller Secondary, which is an ASD 7-12 school. It's a good place for kids who need to go their own direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage