Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 AM

11 posts, read 25,114 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm new here to the city data forum, but have spent a bit of time reading these Alaska threads. Please forgive my newbie status.
Me, similar to a few of you. Grew up on the east coast, joined the military after high school, and moved to AK at 21 after an honorable discharge. Something pulled me up here, and thank God for that something 20 plus years ago. Our state rocks. In the time since I've lived and worked mostly in Southeast. Commercial fishing, laborer, and currently a commercial aviator. If I felt comfortable revealing the details (I don't)(internet paranoia) you'd agree that I've got a pretty killer AK resume. I love Alaska, and my friends here, and am appreciative of all the things I've gotten to see and do. I'm not interested in a match with anybody on here regarding ultimate Alaska badassery bragging rights. I only mention this because some of these threads I've read seem to have devolved into such a thing. I apologize if I misread them. The Alaska that I know is filled with beautiful independent people. Big enough place for all your dreams. Don't let anybody on here tell you different if you are interested in a life here!
My problem, it's pretty simple. Currently working and living in "L.A."."Los Anchorage". I used to laugh when hearing that, but now understand that it's a true comparison. This place is a dump. Rude people in a hurry, seriously scary drivers, and the place I rent now is serenaded nightly by the thumping bass of morons parked in their wanna-be ghetto mobiles outside my relatively cheap efficiency apartment. I miss southeast. I miss my friends. I miss the rain.?
I apologize to those who like, or grew up in Anchorage. It's just that in the few months living here I've become quite sure I don't like this part of our state. Perception is the key I reckon. Help me change my perceptions. Some of the things I like- My coworkers, lots of restaurants (taco bell!) movie theatres, a seeming abundance of women (available is another topic), and lower cost of living. Just not fond of big city life I guess.
Help, anchorage and former anchorage dwellers! Please, tell me what you did or do to make this place feel like Alaska should. I get some time off, and like to walk in the woods. Pretty good shot thanks to a AK Army Guard stint in the desert recently, and I like fishing. And single ladies. Hello? Is this thing on?
I digress.
Thank you in advance. Forgive my wimpiness regarding this place called Anchorage. Just need some help. Help! -J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasugly View Post
I'm not interested in a match with anybody on here regarding ultimate Alaska badassery bragging rights.
Ah, what a relief to hear that.

Quote:
My problem, it's pretty simple. [...] Rude people in a hurry, seriously scary drivers, [...] thumping bass of morons parked in their wanna-be ghetto mobiles outside my relatively cheap efficiency apartment.
Ah well, the relief was short lived...

Seems you are just as much into "badassery" as the next as ugly guy here. And now you have the opportunity to be like others, and claim that your zingers don't zing, but mine do. My suggestion is to admit that it's human nature, don't say you ain't da badass braggart, and get on with a discussion of what it is you need to overcome this not irrational dislike of the dumpy place you live.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
Give the guy a break Floyd, he just got here. Not exactly a warm welcome, eh?

To the OP, I totally relate to your situation, even though I have never even been to Anchorage (or Alaska at all yet). I grew up in a small town outside of a big city (Birmingham, AL; I think it's significantly bigger than Anchorage), and then moved into the city when I got older and was ready for college. I just don't like cities, and it sounds like you don't either. Some people are just not meant to be cooped up in some big, ugly, urban hell-hole (no offense to those in ANC, I think that about most all cities). This is not so much a problem with Anchorage as with the fact that you're in such a densely populated area, as far as I can tell. And the problem is likely compounded by the fact that you're used to the peace and quiet of somewhere like SE, and now you're in a very urban setting. If you plan to stay there, however, you will get used to all of that; it just comes with living in a city.

The upshot is that you're in a city with incredible access to the outdoors and beautiful scenery all around. I mean, sure it's a city, and it can be gloomy in cities (especially ANC, from what I've heard, and places like Seattle where it's cloudy and rainy a lot), but at least it's a nice city surrounded by Alaska. I live in a city myself, and even though the population of AVL is only about 75,000, it's more than I would like. I am actually moving out to the sticks here before long, so I won't be in the city too much longer. But Asheville is similar to Anchorage in that both cities are in beautiful settings with great access to the outdoors, so be thankful for that. I mean, you would rather be in Anchorage than, say, Newark, NJ, right?

Just the two lousy cents of a lower 48er who can't even be called a cheechako yet. Soon enough though, I'll take that moniker and wear it, as long as I get to be in the Great Land. I guess what I'm saying is, "Cheer up man. It's a city, but luckily, it's a city in Alaska."

Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Move. Cities everywhere are like that once they get so large. You won't escape that garbage and remain in cheap apartments in the city.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I spent last weekend in Anchorage and while it was nice to go to the movies, eat in a swanky restaurant, etc. I sure breathed easier as soon as I got out beyond Palmer. So I hear you.

Is there some reason you can't move? It's not like there's a shortage of jobs for aviators around Alaska...

Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
The guy who has one of the local air services said that he is going to expand--they fly between Sitka, POW, and Ketch.---Island Air.

it probably wouldn't be tough to get a pilot job here. I heard that Taquan is putting on more flights too.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Had a night to think and sleep after my original post. Had a dream/nightmare that I was pursued by zombies through Spenard. Good stuff.
Floyd, thank you for your frank way of reply, and the reminder that all words carry weight. I did not mean to throw mine around as casually as it appears. If I caused offense, I apologize.
ShipofFools, thank you for the words of encouragement. You are correct in that many of my problems with my current way of thinking about city life could be solved by a short drive out and a hike. The Anchorage area is full of close by opportunities for me to escape my efficiency apartment mindset. I wish you luck in your relocation decisions. Many of my relatives live in Western North Carolina and East Tennessee. Beautiful country and people there.
Arctichomesteader, you are right about cities, my time in them has helped me realize urban life is rather lost on me. Some appealing factors, but sometimes I think I've got that phobia of large groups of people. Much of my time here has been spent holed up in my apartment watching cable tv and pining away for my past. That needs to change, especially now that spring is springing. I'd love to hear more about your life, as well. Having spent some time on a troller, and working at some remote sites, the remote life is appealing. Double edged sword to it though I think. Do you live remote now?
Frostnip and Metlakatla, you are correct about jobs being available elsewhere in the state. The one I have now looks to be the best one I've ever had. Great people, equipment, pay, and benefits. Plus it may be year round, which would be a great help. Most of the work I did in Southeast. Was pretty seasonal. Found myself working to pay off the previous winters.
To close for now, thank you all. It is good to know you are out there and that others have experienced similar feelings about L.A.! My father told me once that one can be happy or unhappy anywhere, only we can decide. I will do my best to give Anchorage a fair shot.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,449 times
Now there is the spirit that will carry you through. My mom used to tell me-"grow where you are planted." I don't know that much about Anchorage but I do know about making a new place feel more like home. I like to shop around at local (small) more likely locally owned businesses in my new neighberhood, get to know the people where you buy your morning coffee, buy your gas, that type of thing. Look up the hiking trails in Anchorage, Botanical gardens, locations of the farmers markets and things like that. What ever your personal interests are-see if you can find a group or organization to hook up with. One of the things I have noticed from predominantly living in rural areas is that the being anonymous, just another face in the crowd really bothers me. Even superficial daily contact within the community where I shop and such can anchor me enough to work some courage up and find a way to fit for however long I stay. Good luck to you!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 AM

Freezingirl, thank you for your ideas and kind words.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 AM

11 posts, read 14,312 times
Nice post looking forward to see more.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage