U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM

901 posts, read 988,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
Your point about Cincinnati is a bit misleading, because we are the center of a metro area of 2.3 million people, the 27th largest in the country. The 296,000 figure I imagine you are referring to is only the City Proper. I find it hard to believe Phoenix has 1.5 Million people in it's City Proper and if it does, I imagine they were fairly busy with annexing surrounding communities.
My point about Cincinnati is NOT misleading. I wasn't comparing the size of the cities to each other. I was merely making a point about how the population of a city has nothing to do with whether or not it has tall skyscrapers.

The land area of the city of Phoenix itself is greater than the land area of Hamilton County, where Cincinnati is located. Yes, the city of Phoenix itself has nearly 1.5 million people. That does NOT include Glendale, Mesa, Peoria, Scottsdale, Chandler or Tempe. Metro Phoenix has over 4.1 million people. It's the 14th largest metro in the country, and the only state capital with more than 1 million people.

I'm not sure what the size of the city of Phoenix has to do with the size of Cincinnati. I certainly don't know what your point is regarding the annexation of surrounding communities. By all accounts, Phoenix is a more highly populated place than Cincinnati. The density of Cincinnati itself is tighter, but only by about 800 people psm. However, that's because Cincinnati is only 78 square miles, compared to Phoenix's 519. If you were to enlarge Cincinnati to cover all of Hamilton County, it would only come out to be roughly 2000 people psm. So Phoenix, as a general whole for as large of an area that it covers, is more dense than the Cincinnati area.

Let's get back to the actual subject. I was NOT comparing Cincinnati to Phoenix for the sake of debate, but rather to make a point about how the population of a city has nothing to do with whether or not it has tall skyscrapers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,481,481 times
Enforcement building codes if any for Anchorage? I think the skyline should be improved.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 1,213,800 times
If one takes the time to read (some) of the building codes and become familiar with them, You would find out there are major height restrictions in every part of Alaska.

There are many places in Alaska where a 3 story structure is not allowed.

Anchorage has zillions of restrictions on high rise buildings. The cost of adding earthquake protection to each building over a certain height makes the additional costs far too expensive.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM

14,727 posts, read 23,828,896 times
Not to mention Merrill Field with planes taking off right toward downtown. I think the Anc skyline is perfect just like it is.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:42 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,256,059 times
Anchorage is fully compliant with the UBC building codes including NFPA70, 110 and 111, as required by the state. We are after all, an all-American city. Codes are updated every time an update is approved by the state, usually about a year after the updates come out. This is about average when compared to the other states. Hence, a new update issued this year will become the code for Alaska about 1 year later.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Not to mention Merrill Field with planes taking off right toward downtown. I think the Anc skyline is perfect just like it is.
Oil Rich State of Alaska. Think your right about Anchorage being perfect in height structure size. Maybe do you think the Government Professionals in Alaska are the smartest out of the whole United States? Code Enforcement Planning.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,366,789 times
Mr Bob...way too much free time you have! hahahah...when do you start work again??

Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Maybe do you think the Government Professionals in Alaska are the smartest out of the whole United States? Code Enforcement Planning.
Bob, the government professionals in Alaska are no smarter than any other state government professionals. Alaska must comply with all federal building and safety regulations in order to qualify for national fire and other disaster insurance. What does Code Enforcment Planning mean?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 PM

Code Enforcement Planning means. Government departments doing their job for keeping the skyline buildings maneuverable for planned future earthquakes.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

But Bob, as an entity, the state of Alaska is fully compliant with both the UBC and IBC. There is no need for "Enforcement Planning", as the state building inspectors are fully trained in building codes and have no need to "plan" to enforce the codes. It is part and parcel of their daily jobs. If they do NOT enforce the building codes when they find a violation or infringement, they are subject to charges of malfeasance and can be sent to jail if the charges are sustained. If there is suspicion that they have taken bribes, then the charges are substantially increased, with the concurrent increase in penalties. If the state or aa municipality does not maintain code enforcement, they can be sued if anyone is injured or killed due to faulty buildings.

No one in the construction industry wants to be caught trying to bypass the codes. If it is found, the old, faulty work must be torn out brought up to code. This costs more than doing it to code in the first place and can make the difference between making money on a job and losing BIG. If the construction is found to be faulty after acceptance, the company found to be at fault is liable for correcting those faults at no cost to the owner. Again, a losing proposition.

Planning isn't required for code enforcement. It is part and parcel of the building commissioners' jobs. The only planning would be to assign a building inspector to a current construction job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage