Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to anchorage, AK in March. I currently live in Richmond, Va...I've made two trips to Juneau since last September, and since i've been making moves to relocate. I have enough money saved to get me through the first three or four months in Anchorage, and back up work south of Oregon with a place to stay and money for a last ditch flight accommodation if things don't work out....I have been applying online for a restaurant manager or bartender position with no real success...I feel I will get better results once i arrive. I am a hard working easy going guy with lots of experience. How is the restaurant/bar scene in Anchorage? Where are the hot spots? Where is the best place to rent a one bedroom apartment in close proximity to any "restaurant/bar district"? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
The best restaurants are mainly clustered around the downtown areas of 4th and 5th Avenues, but the best restaurant in the Anchorage area is definitely the Double Musky in Girdwood.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
You will have to watch your pennies closely. Rentals are expensive. In all honesty I would rent a room here for the 1st month. Travel light. Your intuition is correct that being here will get you a job much faster. People like to chat and talk here. Carry a paper resume, look clean and smart and you will have more luck. The hotels (Marriott, Captain Cook, Sheraton....) are your best bests for a job with benefits and tips.

Good luck. Look sharp. Everyone knows a winner when they see one....

Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,935 times
Alaska Backpackers Inn everyone in seasonal jobs in Anchorage like backpackers inn, $25 per night. Good plan when finding rental apartments. So one can take the time looking..

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
The best restaurants are mainly clustered around the downtown areas of 4th and 5th Avenues, but the best restaurant in the Anchorage area is definitely the Double Musky in Girdwood.
ROFL! Not even close. The Double Musky is overrated and over-priced. You can buy a better piece of meat from Club Paris or the Pepper Mill, or a half dozen other places.

The best restaurant in Alaska is the Seven Glaciers on top of Mount Alyeska.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The best restaurant in Alaska is the Seven Glaciers on top of Mount Alyeska.
thanks Glitch...just checked out their lunch menu online! reasonably priced....I do believe it will be on my list of places to eat while touring around in July!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
thanks Glitch...just checked out their lunch menu online! reasonably priced....I do believe it will be on my list of places to eat while touring around in July!
I find the Seven Glaciers to be reasonably priced, but still expensive. Every table has their own waiter/waitress, their food is always top notch, and you simply cannot beat the view. Even though the prices are high, you do get what you pay for, in my opinion.

I have nothing against the Double Musky. I have eaten there a number of times, and I will continue to do so. Their prices are reasonable, and their service is adequate. I simply do not find anything about the Double Musky that distinguishes them from any other steak joint, like the Pepper Mill or Club Paris. I actually find the quality of the meat better at Club Paris, but the Double Musky still serves good steaks. I have seen them rated "four-star", but I am not buying it. Anyone can cook up a decent porterhouse and toss it on a plate. That does not make a four-star restaurant.

To be a four-star restaurant, in my opinion, it needs to be extraordinary in some way. Such as gourmet menus, or personalized service, or its extraordinary views and ambiance, etc., etc. Something to make it stand out from all the other regular restaurants. I do not find that at the Double Musky, but I do at the Seven Glaciers.

Simon & Seaforts in Anchorage is also another restaurant that is worthy of mention. It may not rate four-stars, but it certainly rates at least three. They are also somewhat expensive, but I think reasonably priced for the quality of food and service you receive.

Club Paris, as much as I love their meat, it is a small dark place downtown with little ambiance and almost no view, and the level of service is about what you expect from most restaurants. I would rate Club Paris a solid two-stars just on the quality of their food alone.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Hope Highlife doesn't see this thread. He'll complain on how it's too expensive to eat there.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Hope Highlife doesn't see this thread. He'll complain on how it's too expensive to eat there.
oh but of course! but can afford flying lessons and a plane...looking to buy a hanger...an now..a new place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage