Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 AM

115 posts, read 164,449 times

Advertisements

bthorn... yes, WI is very similar to MN... I was only there for 4 years. Coldest place I've ever been! I'm looking forward to the warmer winters in Anchorage. LOL.

I will look up the Sand Lake / Jewel Lake area.... is there a VFW or American Legion post nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM

32 posts, read 90,183 times
Sand lake/Jewel lake looks like it might be a good area, the question is are there apartments or rentals there or are they all houses? We're not looking to buy, right now we have a two year commitment to Alaska, and we want to find out if it's the right area for us before we think about buying.

We made the mistake of buying right away in our current area (the fifth circle of hell....er, I mean Merced, Ca.), and I think we're going to be a bit more cautious about it in the future.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM

32 posts, read 90,183 times
Okay, I'm finding the apartments and rentals in the sand lake area. I guess the problem for us is we will probably be coming up with a dog and cat in tow (our border collie is very shy, so we can't just give her to anyone, it has to be the right situation, and my wife is very attached to the cat).

Does anyone know of any pet friendly apartments or rentals in the Sand Lake/Jewel lake area? Right now we're thinking of just doing a short term lease at College View apartments (they are pet friendly and super close to my wife's work at Providence), then looking around to see what we can find.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,182,014 times
College View is also an excellent neighborhood and a definite exception to the "rule" of no -view, in a good residential setting.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM

20 posts, read 50,411 times
Thanks for that information mal, I've been hearing horror stories about weidner properties, hearing that college view isn't bad makes me feel better.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM

157 posts, read 238,666 times
we have two dogs, and I found our rental house on Craigs list. We basically rented it sight unseen. I found it online, my husband signed the lease, and we moved in 3 days later. Very quick. Now that I'm in the area I am looking for something different. This place has NO storage. I don't want to buy at this time, one because I still have a house in WI and two, because we can't see what the future holds for us here in Alaska (wish my crystal ball wasn't broken).

Since moving up here I am surprised by the number or townhouses and condos there are in the area. Many of them seem to be available for rent. I drove to Prov this morning from my house and it took me about 15 min. Of course, that was at 7 AM with minimal traffic on the road. I have found that getting around town is really pretty simple.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 AM

157 posts, read 238,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearlessfemme View Post
I will look up the Sand Lake / Jewel Lake area.... is there a VFW or American Legion post nearby?
I haven't seen one in this area, but I think there are a couple of VFW's not to far away.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 AM

115 posts, read 164,449 times
Thanks! I have been looking at townhouses/condos, too... would like to find a decent complex with some amenities - like a gym... but not absolutely necessary... would also like to keep the HOA costs to a minimum if not included in the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage