Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM

115 posts, read 164,473 times

Advertisements

Well... I have a moving truck! So I am looking at loading up whatever earthly goods I want to bring on my new adventure, and driving up the end of October.

My questions are.... at the border, will they pull everything out of the moving truck? How long does it take to clear customs?

Thanks (again)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,570,739 times
In my experience it all depends on their mood. I've done trips where they turned the vehicle inside out. And I've done trips where they waved you in between sips of their coffee.
Be prepared for the worse and hope for the best...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,693,365 times
Yup, mood.

We came up once with a U-haul and they insisted we open it. Lucky for us things had shifted and when we opened it, stuff started falling out! LOL, that boarder patrol man stepped back quickly and said all was fine and we could proceed.

We have moved in and out of Alaska a few times and each time was different at the boarder. We like to cross at SweetGrass, Montana. Least amount of problems.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,962,862 times
It also depends on your appearance and demeanor. If one pulls up to the crossing looking like some kind of sketchy vagabond, you would likely get the third degree and possibly a search. If one presents themself as a rational, reasonable human being, with all papers in order and able to answer their questions with coherent, reasonable responses, you will likely spend less than five minutes at the checkpoint.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,693,365 times
who you calling sketchy?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info! Most of what I am bringing are large rubbermaid boxes packed with regular household items which I've collected over the years and don't want to part with, and of course, the normal sentimental items. I don't have that much big furniture... I was planning on buying some off craigslist when I get there.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
Buying the big furniture once you get to AK is a great idea. That's the way I would do it if I were to do it again. We ended up buying a small horse trailer instead of renting a uhaul since it was so expensive and once you get here you can sell the trailer and most likely for a profit. Most of our belongings ended up covered in dust and now has rub marks all over it. Our TV has black rub marks on the plastic and the entertainment center also. Our DVD player was destroyed by the dust. Try to have it as well organized and secure as possible. Your stuff is going to shift and hopefully your belongings won't get damaged like some of ours did. It's a long, long drive.

My husband had a hunting rifle we moved with us so we had a more intense search than most at the border. They were very nice and though they did search our truck thoroughly and the trailer it didn't take more than about 20 minutes. It was much faster and easier than I anticipated it being. It will be much easier for you.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 AM

I think I am shipping my .45 (hand gun) through an FFL. I bought a 18' cube truck (under 26000 so I don't need a CDL) for $2800 - and I may either keep it and rent it out or sell it when I get there... will have to see how much it costs for plates, insurance etc. I am hoping my pottery and glassware make it... other than that... I have moved a bunch, so I hope I can keep the damage to a minimum.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 AM

157 posts, read 238,713 times
I just crossed in Montana about a month ago. They didn't go through our things, but had us come inside and talk to them, I think primarily because I stated I had a bow and arrow and several rifle barrels. The guns were all ready here,having been previously flown in, I was just bringing extra barrels up for my hubby. But the car next to us that looked like it was full of Mennonite folk was torn apart, they even crawled under the car and took off the hubcaps. It took me about 45 minutes for them to sign off on my paperwork.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,609,070 times
Ship your firearms as airfreight. When you use an FFL you transfer the firearm to them and you must fill out a new form 4473. They have to call in the FBI background check and everything. Not worth the hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage