Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 7,000 times

Advertisements

Hello members and thank you for taking the time to review my request.

I am a 27 year old male from Tampa, FL seeking for a school that doesn't have a 3 year waiting list to start in a nursing program, I have heard that Anchorage has such opportunities.

Now here is a bit more of my background, I have a wife and a 6 week old baby. I am a phlebotomist with some lab experience, about 6 months to be exact. I also recently finished my CNA, but have no experience to go with it as of yet.

I would like to know if there is a waiting list in any of the nursing programs in Anchorage? Also how hard is it to find a job in the medical field for someone with my limited experience?

P.S. I am very excited to move to such a beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM

376 posts, read 828,884 times
The college here is the University of Alaska - Anchorage or UAA. I don't have the phone number availabe at my finger tips right now, but you could probably look it up on line. From my understanding, they do have a wait list. You just need to call them and ask them and ask them how long of a wait you will need. It might help you to get some of your basic / gen ed classes started now.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 PM

76 posts, read 152,820 times
3 year average wait list for UAA for a BA in nursing, the associates is apply every year and you get in when you get in. I'm CMA and I've been wanting to get my RN for a while now and closely monitor programs I heard the UAA campus is Fairbanks has less competition, so it's easier to get in, one of my coworkers just moved up there due to the long wait list here in Anchorage! Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,976,773 times
I would do better research on wait lists vs. school reputation. There are jobs in Anchorage for your skills. Call around to Providence, Alaska Regional and see. In addition, Anchorage can be a tough town on younger children. RSV is prevalent here and frequently leads to hospital admissions. If I were you I would select a good school, get on the wait list and get your prerequisite classes done. It does sound like you like the field. It's potential rewards are income and flexibility however just like finding the vein, you will want to make accurate choices about the school you select. Finally, private schools, while expensive can admit sooner and have excellent reps. Following training you can work in an area which has a high need of nurses and have your loans paid off if you agree and stay for a certain amount of time.

Good luck. It is a rewarding career.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,489,922 times
Finish school and do two years working for the IHS, get loans paid! IHS or VA. Is good stuff, yaaaaaa.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM

9 posts, read 20,179 times
I'm currently waiting to start the nursing program in Anchorage and as others have mentioned it is a 2-3 year wait. Personally, I wish I would have gotten my degree in my home state before I moved up here.
Jobs for CNA's are widely available up here, especially in the hospitals.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 AM

63 posts, read 224,328 times
I work at UAA. The BS wait is about 2 years now. The AAS doesn't have a wait but admits students competitively. Fairbanks is NOT easier to get into. That's one of UAA's "Outreach sites" and they admit only 16 students a year and the ratios of applicants to spots is higher than Anchorage. Same w Mat Su. You need your pre reqs done first and if you go for the BS option you'll HAVE to wait. No way around it. You don't get on the list and then do pre reqs, you do your pre reqs and then apply and get on the list. It's the same all over the country. Alaska is no different. Our numbers have been going up and up and up and I've only been seeing the last couple years. No end in sight really.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellenn View Post
I work at UAA. The BS wait is about 2 years now. The AAS doesn't have a wait but admits students competitively. Fairbanks is NOT easier to get into. That's one of UAA's "Outreach sites" and they admit only 16 students a year and the ratios of applicants to spots is higher than Anchorage. Same w Mat Su. You need your pre reqs done first and if you go for the BS option you'll HAVE to wait. No way around it. You don't get on the list and then do pre reqs, you do your pre reqs and then apply and get on the list. It's the same all over the country. Alaska is no different. Our numbers have been going up and up and up and I've only been seeing the last couple years. No end in sight really.
Are you referring to the LPN to RN AAS program, lellen? I'm thinking of doing that when I get to Anchorage.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM

32 posts, read 74,482 times
Dont know if your still reading this but as of today there is a 2 year wait once your admitted to the program to take any of the nursing classes. Complete BS. I guess it's more cost effective to import the communities nurses from out of state.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Any classes? Even the LPN to AAS? I heard that one wasn't as long a wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage