Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
You will not find that information on line.

Although I have no concept of how this game is played; I've watched it many times. It is a wicked fast game - money is used..

9 decks for Kamok 8's 9's & all tens are removed from all nine decks.

The decks are placed on their sides and are leaned up against something on the table. I will get more information today right from the 'source'.

These women take this game very seriously. They play for extended hours especially on the weekends. Marathon sessions that last all weekend long.

I will try and provide more info on each game later today. I need to make a phone call to the expert source(s).
I would love to learn a new game.. don't play much of anything lately with all the hard labor around here but I have a goal in mind and it keeps me pushing hard... I might have to sit down and relax for a bit and get my friends together... all work and no play... makes Nature a boring person right?? LOL

enjoy your Friday everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Well I spoke at length last evening to a professional Kamok player in a vain attempt to understand a little bit more about these cryptic card games.

Here is my unfinished report.

Snertz is like Solitaire - played with a bunch of different people. Each player has their own deck of cards.

Each player is dealt 13 cards... if your hand has any aces they must be thrown down on the table and each person builds (their hand) from the aces just like you do in solitaire. Black Ace - red two - black three etc until you reach the king then you win the hand. No money is involved.

That is the short version. I will get more info today.

Kamok is like Rummy - Nine decks are involved.Each person is dealt four or five cards. When you make a pair or three of a kind then you get to "pluck' which is their way of saying you get to choose from the pile another card. The winner of the 'pot' is the first person to lay down their cards (rummy style) I forget the rest of the explanation; It was all so fast and so confusing to me.

I am on the phone to Point Hope daily so I will acquire more info today.

I don't play cards at all.. .. People are too afraid to let me into any game.

Based on what they have seen me do.. .. with their deck of cards

I perform impossible illusions using their deck. People in point hope 'burned' their cards. They were conviniced I was evil and posessed. simple moves that people are totally blind to. But the fun part is.. I don't touch the deck. they do it all - then they freak out and throw the cards into the wood stove.

Simple misdirection - I learned by reading books! Very simple !!

My daughter when she was in the first grade had a "show & tell" event at school. What do I do daddy ? I said show the class the Red & Black ! She smiles and we go through the simple steps to show her how simple this is.

Shuffle the deck - throw two Aces on the table - A red Ace and a Black Ace

shuffle the deck again and give it to the teacher. Each ace is face up beside each other in two different (piles to be).

Tell the teacher.....If you think the top card is red. Place it face down in the red pile. (on top of the face up red ace) If you think the next card is black place that face down on the face up black ace. Continue in this manner .. deal the cards anyway you want. Black black black or red black or in any combination you desire.

When the teacher had made all her choices - the cards were turned over and all reds were in the red pile and all blacks were in the black pile. The children in the class 'clapped' That teacher freaked out.. How did you do that she asked my daughter?? I gave you the cards - you did it by yourself she replied.

That teacher was calling me up on the phone.. How did she do that ??? I said.. remember she gave you the cards. she told you.. deal anyway you want. YOU DID IT... The teacher said.. yeah but when I keep trying this at home .. it doesn't work!!...

Vanessa? the teacher said to her.. How was that done..? Her answer was classic... My daddy said .. not to tell!!

Some day maybe we will all sit down and I can entertain you for hours without ever showing the same 'illusion' twice. Back in the late 70's and early 80's some people who were well connected kept trying to get me on TV.. I said no way... I do this for fun and laughs only. i am not one bit interested in going on tv.

Sorry but I have a long history with cards.. that is why I can't play. People just don't trust me.. Even If I do not even touch the cards.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Quote:
Well I spoke at length last evening to a professional Kamok player in a vain attempt to understand a little bit more about these cryptic card games.

Here is my unfinished report.

Snertz is like Solitaire - played with a bunch of different people. Each player has their own deck of cards.

Each player is dealt 13 cards... if your hand has any aces they must be thrown down on the table and each person builds (their hand) from the aces just like you do in solitaire. Black Ace - red two - black three etc until you reach the king then you win the hand. No money is involved.

That is the short version. I will get more info today.

Kamok is like Rummy - Nine decks are involved.Each person is dealt four or five cards. When you make a pair or three of a kind then you get to "pluck' which is their way of saying you get to choose from the pile another card. The winner of the 'pot' is the first person to lay down their cards (rummy style) I forget the rest of the explanation; It was all so fast and so confusing to me.

I am on the phone to Point Hope daily so I will acquire more info today.

I don't play cards at all.. .. People are too afraid to let me into any game.

Based on what they have seen me do.. .. with their deck of cards

I perform impossible illusions using their deck. People in point hope 'burned' their cards. They were conviniced I was evil and posessed. simple moves that people are totally blind to. But the fun part is.. I don't touch the deck. they do it all - then they freak out and throw the cards into the wood stove.

Simple misdirection - I learned by reading books! Very simple !!

My daughter when she was in the first grade had a "show & tell" event at school. What do I do daddy ? I said show the class the Red & Black ! She smiles and we go through the simple steps to show her how simple this is.

Shuffle the deck - throw two Aces on the table - A red Ace and a Black Ace

shuffle the deck again and give it to the teacher. Each ace is face up beside each other in two different (piles to be).

Tell the teacher.....If you think the top card is red. Place it face down in the red pile. (on top of the face up red ace) If you think the next card is black place that face down on the face up black ace. Continue in this manner .. deal the cards anyway you want. Black black black or red black or in any combination you desire.

When the teacher had made all her choices - the cards were turned over and all reds were in the red pile and all blacks were in the black pile. The children in the class 'clapped' That teacher freaked out.. How did you do that she asked my daughter?? I gave you the cards - you did it by yourself she replied.

That teacher was calling me up on the phone.. How did she do that ??? I said.. remember she gave you the cards. she told you.. deal anyway you want. YOU DID IT... The teacher said.. yeah but when I keep trying this at home .. it doesn't work!!...

Vanessa? the teacher said to her.. How was that done..? Her answer was classic... My daddy said .. not to tell!!

Some day maybe we will all sit down and I can entertain you for hours without ever showing the same 'illusion' twice. Back in the late 70's and early 80's some people who were well connected kept trying to get me on TV.. I said no way... I do this for fun and laughs only. i am not one bit interested in going on tv.

Sorry but I have a long history with cards.. that is why I can't play. People just don't trust me.. Even If I do not even touch the cards.
Well Sity... I will be in Alaska in 9 months and have that opportunity for the card illusions... I am going to try to organize a get together in late summer with all the new comers and the CD gang... I can't wait to meet all of you...

Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
That.... 'sounds' like a 'date' to me & a fun time with lots of laughs!!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Snerts or Kamok are the two most popular card games in the Arctic.
Quote:
You will not find that information on line.

Snert info on how to play the game found online:
Snerts: File down your fingernails. | Dana Stabenow

Euchre: Rules of Card Games: Euchre

correct on not finding info on Kamok game!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 101,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Back home in the Michigan/Ontario area, this is virtually the only game we play. But nobody has heard of it here!!!!
You can play it online on Yahoo games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: