Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 103,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortaz View Post
I drove down from AK in the middle of winter. The roads are fine. The roads can be snow covered, but it's usually packed snow and not bad to drive on.
i agree,i also drove from alaska to california,40 year old lady and her 10 year old son,the roads do have snow on them here and there but it is packed down,i would say it is even a nicer drive winter time as far as the roads goes because of NO road construction,gravel,holes,ect..the lodges inbetween towns are mostly closed though so i would suggest filling up the tank whenever you are around a gas station just to be on the safe side,but its not bad at all,just enjoy the scenery and you don't have to wrry about tourist slowing down the drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 15,348 times
Default what were you driving?

Quote:
I drove down from AK in the middle of winter. The roads are fine. The roads can be snow covered, but it's usually packed snow and not bad to drive on.
what kind of vehicle? i'll be leaving in the next few weeks in a 330i....maybe??? have much thinking and investigating to do.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:19 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
I pulled this from a post I did previously, check it out. Also companies like Pacific Alaska Forwarders, and Lynden transport ship this way all the time, and some people have a 40' van delivered and put all their belongings in it, including vehicle and have them shipped. So be brave and think outside the box.

On the subject of replacing your vehicle, this site will give you an idea of current market prices for most makes and models. AFFORDABLE USED CARS :: Used Car Sales in Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska

This site has a list of shippers also.
List of car transporters and shippers. List of car transporters and shippers. Ship a Subaru to Alaska, Hawaii and everywhere else.

Think of your trip to Alaska as a series of short drives. That way you wont feel overwhelmed. Also getting your possesions accross the lower 48 is relatively cheap. The expensive part is shipping it north, usually by barge which takes an average of two weeks, and you should go through a consolidator to save money.

Last edited by Arcticthaw; 08-23-2007 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: fix car shipper link.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 PM

75 posts, read 329,352 times
The Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) operates from Bellingham year-round 2 boats per week in the summers and 1 boat per week the rest of the year but its spendy from Bellingham....

Drive to Prince Rupert BC and catch the Alaska Ferry from there and some a ton of money... from there it takes you north to Ketchikan, Juneau or Haines and from there its an easy two-day drive to Anchorage any time of the year.

The drive, north of the border to Prince Rupert from Washington, is very easy and 900 miles of great road...get your maps out

Shipping to Anchorage can be done easily from Tacoma but no pets and you don't go along either...its strictly a service for vehicles, RV's or equipment and containers, called Tote Ocean

Old 08-27-2007, 05:05 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Yes,
I know someone who drove from Seattle to Prince Rupert via BC and then ferried it up to Haines and then drove to Anc in Feb/March.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 AM

23 posts, read 534,731 times
Thanks everyone for you responses, you have been more than helpful...

At this time I think the best way to do it is drive.. Need to get some repairs done on my car and then we should be set to go...

I really want to get up and leave right away before christmas, but my girlfriend might not have that, maybe I'll drive and she can fly up and meet me.. I'm ready for a white christmas again and there is no way we will have that in georgia..

Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 AM

30 posts, read 161,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_mountain_man View Post
what kind of vehicle? i'll be leaving in the next few weeks in a 330i....maybe??? have much thinking and investigating to do.

I have a subaru outback. The all wheel drive helps in the snow, but you should be fine in a 2wd if you have decent snow tires.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Quote:
I have a subaru outback. The all wheel drive helps in the snow, but you should be fine in a 2wd if you have decent snow tires.
I wouldn't trust a 2wd on the Alcan during the snowy season. We drove a 1-ton truck and there were area's of concern and we've lived here in Alaska for the past 32 years have driven all types of vehicles but the snowy Alcan caused our hiney's to pucker

Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Maybe year around to Juneau but not into Seward across the open water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan454 View Post
The Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) operates from Bellingham year-round 2 boats per week in the summers and 1 boat per week the rest of the year but its spendy from Bellingham....

Drive to Prince Rupert BC and catch the Alaska Ferry from there and some a ton of money... from there it takes you north to Ketchikan, Juneau or Haines and from there its an easy two-day drive to Anchorage any time of the year.

The drive, north of the border to Prince Rupert from Washington, is very easy and 900 miles of great road...get your maps out

Shipping to Anchorage can be done easily from Tacoma but no pets and you don't go along either...its strictly a service for vehicles, RV's or equipment and containers, called Tote Ocean

Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 20,141 times
Default Alaska State Ferries

They ferry system is up and running. There's a reason it's called the
Alaska Marine Highway....their are no roads that connect one community
to the next, especially in the southeast portion of the state. The ferries
run all year round. It was the way I traveled to communities for the
different high school activities I participated in.
Most Alaskans who do travel via ferry, do not necessarily get a cabin.
They stake out an area and camp their for the duration. They (we)
also bring our own food and drink. Pillows and sleeping bags are a
must if you go this route.

There are ferries that run to Kodiak & to the southwest portion of the
state. Coming to and from the lower 48 via ferry is an experience one
should consider. Not a cruise, but beautiful nontheless. A real "Alaskan"
experience for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage