Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennabeth77 View Post
We are talking about buying an older motorhome to get up there and selling it. Is that a good option or do people not want anything that is not newer? I just have no idea how easy it will be to sell it.
Here's the Craigslist for RVs in Anchorage. That'll give you an idea of what the market is.
anchorage / mat-su recreational vehicles classifieds - craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM

17 posts, read 21,581 times
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,854,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
I wonder if they have any RV places open in the winter. It would be awesome to stay in one in Fairbanks and see what winter is really like.
It'd be a pretty amazing RV that'd be liveable at -40.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
I imagine that full timing at -40 is going to be quite expensive in a RV. You'll be using alot of diesel and/or propane. Since the electric heat I've used in a few of them have trouble at temps in the +30Fs. And of course don't shut it off for long as even the propane won't flow at -40, which I didn't know until 1stimestar pointed that out in a previous thread... On many RV forums people say its possible and they have done it with varying degrees of success. (no pun intended). Important to note that no one has said it was a breeze and that they didn't have to do special things to keep warm, like closing slides (less area to heat) and using a hair dryer to unfreeze lines. Some used 40lb of propane a night to keep warm.

A buddy of mine toured the county with his $400K RV and he used an incredible amount of diesel to keep his RV warm in above zero weather - he purposely kept it out of below zero weather. And he had the "arctic" package and a diesel boiler that was for hot water and heat. He was going to full time in it for several years - Unrelated to this, but unfortunately he met an untimely and tragic end after his second year in it. (natural causes, but to me passing away at 49 just isn't right)

Anyways, FWIW, Just seems like a high risk to low reward type setup for living on a budget. OK if you are on a trip and run into it. But that is just my opinion on the matter... As they say, YMMV.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,199 times
We were on a hunt for a used RV for two years here in Alaska before we gave up and purchased one in the lower 48.

The used RVs that were in good condition were too expensive and the ones that were not too expensive either had very high mileage, were in rough shape, or both.

We saved well over $20, 000 by buying in the lower 48.

IMHO, if you can afford it, you might be better off getting a decent used RV if you plan to sell it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage