U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,846,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
People voted o in to office, because he said he would do something on health care. The house and senate voted and passed the HC bill and no one knows how much a month it will cost ea person but it passed. They had a few of the fortune 500 company CEO's testify in DC, that said that they would make billions of dollars after they paid the fines for not offering HC. When they voted and passed the HC bill they didn't think that almost all companies will do away with health Insurance. It is just a clusted when it starts. Will you pay $50 or $1000 a month. The more people on it the more it will cost.

Most people don't think of the long term of the HC, it sounds good but will it work?
supposedly as they keep referring to MA as a roll model for HC they should seriously talk to not the politicians but the people. As companies drop the health care coverage for employees what has happened that they do not tell is that all insurance companies, BC/BS, AAA, AARP, etc have pulled out of MA..a resident cannot even buy insurance except for the 4 that are offered by the Commonwealth of MA...these 4 insurances are what was at one time only available to the "transitional assistance" people. This is what use to be called Welfare...so what kinda coverage do you think that is??....hardly any Dr's, clinics or hospitals with this insurance...you have to lose you Dr 99% of the time...if you live in the poor sections of the cities there is all kinds of clinics, rural families...many have to now travel 30-50 miles one way to sit for hours in a clinic because this is the only insurance available...yes I am talking about people who are working a full time job that the company has now dropped carrying insurance....the unemployed are in the same boat. These insurances do not cover many many diagnostic tests, treatments, or medicines for that matter.
Is this going to work long term??? the well to do financial people will be able to afford to pay for the best of care...they rest well...I see the same thing happening as here....lousy substandard care as the hospital, Dr will not make the money off this insurance plan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Washington DC is using Massachusetts are "THE" National Health Care "model" for all 50 states...it will affect Alaska.....directly.... so why not hear it from someone who has to actually deal with this than the paid for propaganda of the newspapers?

Old 12-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
People voted o in to office, because he said he would do something on health care. The house and senate voted and passed the HC bill and no one knows how much a month it will cost ea person but it passed. They had a few of the fortune 500 company CEO's testify in DC, that said that they would make billions of dollars after they paid the fines for not offering HC. When they voted and passed the HC bill they didn't think that almost all companies will do away with health Insurance. It is just a clusted when it starts. Will you pay $50 or $1000 a month. The more people on it the more it will cost.

Most people don't think of the long term of the HC, it sounds good but will it work?
question and subject of health care....simply responding to it as anyone can here.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM

288 posts, read 173,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This is interesting and I've seen it happen in my village time after time.

But fair amount of them do manage to leave. SE has strong cultural ties to the Seattle and BC area through tribal and family ties, so the young people who do move down there have a sort of built in support system.

And I'll admit to being worried at one time about my own son, that he would grow up too provincial even though he wasn't exclusively raised in rural AK and experienced a pretty good amount of travel as a child. And there was part of me that was afraid he'd get out into the big bad world and leave AK behind, and he did exactly that.

What I've noticed to is that a lot of adults who decide to move out return after the lower 48 just didn't work out for them in one way or another. I notice it in myself because I go back and forth all the time.
The same is true for kids who grew up in Anchorage and the surrounding area, like the valley. Maybe more so for many of them because they do not have the same built-in tribal support system when they leave. Even most of our talented rock bands leave for places like Portland, OR but then melt when facing real competition and head back home. It's too bad because some of them have a lot of potential and would probably be successful if they just stuck it out and applied themselves.

Still, the pace of life is slower here, more relaxed, less uptight, expectations are lower for a large variety of things, and I can see why people who grew up in such an environment might decide they don't want to adjust to another lifestyle. It can be a healthy decision for some.

All small rural communities have youngsters who have to get out and plan to as soon as they can from day one. Some leave forever, some return when they start raising families, and others go back and forth. Alaska is just so cut off from everywhere else that if a person grew up here, it takes more adjusting to the cultural differences of just daily life and working. Of course, because everyone has their own innate personalities, some people are just born chomping at the bit and never feel at home in their own homeland so they don't have a lot of trouble moving on.

I think it is better for a lot of people to have lived somewhere else at least for a few years before they return for good. If they don't, they never know what they are or are not missing, and they don't grasp how things are done elsewhere. We noticed when we first came to Alaska that it was usual to explain what we wanted to businesses and customer service employees, things that were a given Outside, and they had no clue what we wanted from them or why we expected anything other than what they were doing. It was like being in a comedy skit sometimes. Eventually we adjusted and it came to feel normal, something to expect rather than to be surprised by. It is pretty obvious when a person is talking to someone whose never lived anywhere else.

Even if they come back to live, having lived elsewhere will make them better community members and leaders. I think that's true of people everywhere though, not just Alaskans. Although, again, because we are so isolated, I think it is especially true for young Alaskans.

Raised in the pacific northwest, we always considered Alaska a sister state to us, and so was British Columbia for that matter. I can see why you'd move back and forth between the two regions comfortably. (My friends from the east coast used to tease me about how laid back Washingtonians and Oregonians are. We were like Alaskans to them! lol)

When I lived in the pacific northwest, I used to go back once each summer to where I grew up. I felt the pull like a longing. I wanted to smell the air, see and feel the environment around me. As soon as I was there a few days though, I'd had my fill and booked back to where I was living my adult life. I just needed a quick fix and wouldn't have been happy staying there.

My kids do not live in the same state they grew up in. One is in the pacific northwest but in a different state, and the other flew the coop for further away and with no intention of moving back to that part of the country.

I understand your conflicted feelings regarding your child moving away or staying. It sounds like you did a good job setting your son free to follow his own path. My children do not live in Alaska and I miss them every day. I understand why they want us to move close to them instead of their moving to Alaska though! (:

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,578,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The old cliché is that people who move to Alaska (from distant places) are either wacky, desperate for money, or running from something; since who would want to put up with such miserable weather.

One gets the image of Alaska as being full of people who subscribe to pseudo-legal theories like "Freeman on the land," or want to make cash in extractive industries like oil, mining and fishing. A general crassness is the impression I get from many miles away, but I'm only going off what I've watched and read elsewhere.

Is there any hard data on personality types up there? I'm also going off the fact that a Creationist know-nothing like Sarah Palin landed its highest office (then again, so did Bush II). Alaska also apparently has a high share of global warming deniers, even though it's suffering most of the early consequences. Are people really that stubbornly stupid up there?

In a city like Anchorage, if someone is intelligent and respects nature as something more than a resource-warehouse, do they find themselves at odds with the typical Joe or Joan on the street?
WOW! REALLY??

Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 19,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Raised in the pacific northwest, we always considered Alaska a sister state to us, and so was British Columbia for that matter. I can see why you'd move back and forth between the two regions comfortably. (My friends from the east coast used to tease me about how laid back Washingtonians and Oregonians are. We were like Alaskans to them! lol)
I hear ya! I'm in Portland, Oregon and have always dreamed of living in Alaska. My husband and I both talked about it for quite some time and after we went on our cruise and ditched the excursions and instead just went further out and talked to locals at near by bars and pubs we knew it was what we really wanted. It has been our dream and we might just be getting our chance to finally make the move.

I am so nervous and excited all at the same time! Reading through this thread I found so interesting. I had no idea some of the stereotypes there were. I consider myself very liberal (but I hesitate to ever call myself democratic) and my husband is a lot more conservative. Obviously neither of us are too strong headed because we get along amazingly well.

I can be outspoken at times but I try not to be judgmental and I have nothing but positive impressions. So far everyone I have met or talked to from or in Alaska has been very kind and intellegent. I personally am surprised that more people don't want to live there! It seems to me that its a place when you have to work hard but reep amazing benefits for doing so.

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM

30 posts, read 19,903 times
Quote:
You are best to stay in kalifornia, home of the liberals, tree huggers an gays. You liberals move to Alaska and want to change it like your Communist state. Do Alaskans a favor and move to Mexico .
Do you actually think that liberals are communists? Do you even know what communism is? I find it very annoying when conservatives label anything "liberal" as "communist."

Really, what's wrong with caring about the environment? And there are evil gays roaming around Alaska as you read this.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM

319 posts, read 571,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Best stay away, trespassers get shot.
survivors get shot again

Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM

319 posts, read 571,471 times
Default environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCreativeUsername View Post
Do you actually think that liberals are communists? Do you even know what communism is? I find it very annoying when conservatives label anything "liberal" as "communist."

Really, what's wrong with caring about the environment? And there are evil gays roaming around Alaska as you read this.
what do u know bout the environment!we can't drill a little hole in the ground but we'll consider a waste pond miles long behind an earthen dam forever. nothing is forever.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM

2,268 posts, read 5,555,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The old cliché is that people who move to Alaska (from distant places) are either wacky, desperate for money, or running from something; since who would want to put up with such miserable weather.

One gets the image of Alaska as being full of people who subscribe to pseudo-legal theories like "Freeman on the land," or want to make cash in extractive industries like oil, mining and fishing. A general crassness is the impression I get from many miles away, but I'm only going off what I've watched and read elsewhere.

Is there any hard data on personality types up there? I'm also going off the fact that a Creationist know-nothing like Sarah Palin landed its highest office (then again, so did Bush II). Alaska also apparently has a high share of global warming deniers, even though it's suffering most of the early consequences. Are people really that stubbornly stupid up there?

In a city like Anchorage, if someone is intelligent and respects nature as something more than a resource-warehouse, do they find themselves at odds with the typical Joe or Joan on the street?
No offense but your post sounds "stubbornly stupid" full of what I'm sure are inaccurate assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage