U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,604,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So how would you define your post? Non aggressive and judgmental?
thanks Rance....'tis what I was just gonna question after reading this! reread it 3 times to be sure I was reading it correctly an not jumping to the conclusion of judgmental
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 03:37 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,627,003 times
TL;DR version: Alaska is full of conservatives, I hate conservatives, I'm still obsessed over Palin, I hate Alaska, I want to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Defensiveness, silly name-calling, and invitations to stay away in response to the question and to Outside impressions isn't necessary, nor does it do anything but verify the stereotypes shared with us. Alaskans, get over yourselves. Especially those who behave like little children with the nanny-nanny boo-boo name calling just because someone writes what they don't like. Not everyone thinks Alaskans are so great. So what. Besides, ill-mannered responses make the writers appear even more backward and out-of-touch with how people live and behave elsewhere. Nothing to feel too good about.

The stereotype is not 30 year behind the times. Thirty years ago, this was a blue state where people did what they wanted and minded their own business. Now it's run by right-wing Bible-thumpers Mrs. Palin left behind in office.

There are liberals, leftists, and environmentalists, but they are the minority. The liberals have accomplished next to nothing when it comes to protecting the civil rights and freedoms of Alaskans from the thieves and jackboots in office. I don't even know why those in elected office that are considered liberals or progressives are called that, because Outside, they wouldn't be considered so with some of the unconstitutional laws they've passed and the way they let the AG's office, inept and corrupt judges, and the same kind of police, Troopers, and prison officials get away with running their own corrupt fiefdoms.

Environmentalists? What a joke! Yes, they are here, but again, a minority. Anchorage just got its first curb side recycling program (20 years later than other parts of the country and the last city in the entire country of its size), and the state is behind the rest of the country in a whole lot of areas. Alaskans were colonized by the oil companies decades ago and will sell our environment right down the proverbial river for an oil job no matter how short-lived. When other Alaskans try to tell them the truth, the scared servants of the oil tycoons join the chorus to attack and drown out their neighbors because they don't want to know the truth about how little oil there is left here and how little interest the oil companies really have in it.

And mining? Plenty of Alaskans are all for land-destroying mines if it will give them a job. In fact, most of the saving of our nature hasn't been because of us, it has been because of Americans living Outside fighting for it. Thus, except for a few exceptions, Alaskans shouldn't be doing too much back-patting over protecting our pristine environment. The environment in Anchorage isn't all that pristeen, but polluted with bad air from all those big rigs we drive, and rundown buildings.

We are ripped off by locally-owned cable company and state officials do nothing about it. Mr. GCI has our elected officials , GCI, in his pocket. Chain stores and local businesses gouge us. Medical professionals are horrendously expensive and get away with whatever they want because they have no competition and they got laws passed, twice, to protect them from malpractice lawsuits. Most don't even contract with insurance companies, because they don't have to.

There are regular folks like you'd know anywhere here, but most don't stay because they get here to discover it is isolated; behind the times; very expensive; provides few protections; housing is shoddy and expensive; most customer service is a joke; we are not able to get as much variety in consumer goods; people often invest in expensive property only to discover they live next door to someone using their property as a dump and the city enforces almost no regulations; homeless drunks wander around in the middle of dark, frozen streets and freeze to death in our parks; the roads are terrible and hard on overpriced vehicles; the Mayor of Anchorage is a self-serving donkey's behind who's been bad for the municipality (it matters because almost half the population of the state lives here); and right-wing loons run the state. Life is harder here because of the isolation, darkness, cold, and expense, and most of us eventually get fat for the same reasons. So no, people aren't coming here for the money anymore. That ended in the early 80s.

Alaskans like to talk about how Alaskans look out for each other, but that is hogwash. it used to be that way, but it isn't anymore. I've lived in a lot of places and I think Alaskans are some of the most closed-minded, selfish or self-centered citizens I've lived among. It's largely me, me me, me. They don't want to do much for anyone else, and they sure as heck don't want to pay anything for others, nor to have an attractive city we can be proud of and enjoy.

Having said all of that, however, those who love it here so do because of the natural, majestic beauty, the numerous, year-round, outdoor activities; and the unpretentious, interesting, humorous characters making up our population, and even though the pace of life is much slower here, it is never boring.

Even the weather changes from moment to moment. Each new day we don't know what might happen or what we might see, whether it is a small plane crashing into a downtown building; a bear in the yard; a moose falling off a cliff onto the top of a Trooper's car; a valley doofus slaughtering turkeys behind our governor and gaping at her as she obliviously blabs away in front of a TV camera; Bald Eagles in our trees mating or building nests; large Ravens living alongside us, holding meetings on the ground in the middle of intersection, often making us think they are communicating with us; the power going out; empty shelves in our stores; an obviously mentally-ill candidate who believes he can create free power for all of us from his own body running for Mayor and given equal time and presence like a democracy should; anti-government nut-jobs plotting to assassinate judges; entertaining politics and elections; or any number of other things that can and does happen as a matter of course for Alaskans. Never boring.

If we really love our lifestyles, we don't need to be defensively aggressive and judgmental just because not everyone else appreciates what we do or because not everyone understands.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,222,172 times
Yup, somebody call the waahmbulance.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:02 PM

15,849 posts, read 15,265,826 times
Quote:
=pgrdr;21972356]

The stereotype is not 30 year behind the times. Thirty years ago, this was a blue state where people did what they wanted and minded their own business. Now it's run by right-wing Bible-thumpers Mrs. Palin left behind in office.
The stereotype I was referencing when I made that post was specific the OP's questions about whether people are drawn to Alaska because they see it as a place to earn big, easy money. Of course that still exists to some very small extent, but it is nothing...and I do mean nothing...like it was thirty or so years ago in that respect.

Quote:
One gets the image of Alaska as being full of people who subscribe to pseudo-legal theories like "Freeman on the land," or want to make cash in extractive industries like oil, mining and fishing. A general crassness is the impression I get from many miles away, but I'm only going off what I've watched and read elsewhere.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 PM

1,709 posts, read 629,355 times
Default Does Alaska deserve its reputation as being full of right-wing miscreants?

YES!.......YES!.......WE DO!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM

1,256 posts, read 662,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The old cliché is that people who move to Alaska (from distant places) are either wacky, desperate for money, or running from something; since who would want to put up with such miserable weather.

One gets the image of Alaska as being full of people who subscribe to pseudo-legal theories like "Freeman on the land," or want to make cash in extractive industries like oil, mining and fishing. A general crassness is the impression I get from many miles away, but I'm only going off what I've watched and read elsewhere.

Is there any hard data on personality types up there? I'm also going off the fact that a Creationist know-nothing like Sarah Palin landed its highest office (then again, so did Bush II). Alaska also apparently has a high share of global warming deniers, even though it's suffering most of the early consequences. Are people really that stubbornly stupid up there?

In a city like Anchorage, if someone is intelligent and respects nature as something more than a resource-warehouse, do they find themselves at odds with the typical Joe or Joan on the street?
Just cover to all of the bases, you forgot two other categories: military members and civilian employees of the United States government.

The short answer to your question is yes and you can ascertain by perusing the majority of responses to your post. Most young people who graduate from high school and have any ambition or above average intelligence, usually choose one of two courses of action:

A) those with the intelligence and means (either from their parents or through scholarships, grants, and loans) leaving Alaska for post-secondary education and never return, or
B) join a branch of the armed forces and never return

The main reason that most leave is due to the lack of opportunites but an insufferable level of closed-mindedness and intolerance is also a contributing factor.

Just my opinion but I stand by it.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Alaska is roughly five times the size of the state of Texas, and in comparison to it's vast size relatively underpopulated. Within that population however, just like every other state in the union are a great diversity of people of every race, color, creed and of course political opinion.

Tell me, do you think everyone in California is a Hollywood wannabe sitting on sunny beaches sucking on a toke of weed with bean sprout and tofu dip at their side? Get a grip!
What, they're not??!!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Your original post seemed fairly confrontational, and the stereotype you're going on, if it exists at all, is at least 30 years out of date.

So let's take this statement/question:

If you were to go out among people in Alaska (or anywhere else, really) with an attitude like you've portrayed on this board, yes, you're going to find exactly what you're looking for. You come across as rather superior and assumptive

Sarah Palin's personal religious beliefs had nothing at all to do with her election as governor of Alaska. I don't think that most of the voters even knew enough about her private life at the time of the election to even have been aware of what her belief system was.

Why do you get this image? It's quite a false one. I think at one time people were flocking up for pipeline jobs, and during the past few years certain television shows have romanticized the commercial fishing industry and that some people have gotten the wrong idea. But the days of money grubbing types coming to Alaska specifically for high wages have been over for a long time now. And it certainly is not a place for anyone who's "desperate for money".

The weather in SE Alaska can be miserable. That's why I don't live there year round anymore. But that's not really true of other parts of the state...up in the interior, the winters are stunningly beautiful. Same with the northern panhandle and South Central---and probably up past the Arctic Circle as well, though I haven't spent time there.

Well, the point of the forums isn't really to come off as insulting to those who live in a place.

But I think it's probably than rather just a garden variety troll, you're a young person who maybe should have worded his/her OP a little more tactfully. Obviously, you have a respect and a great appreciation for nature, and aren't financially set to the extent that you can just go on up and see it for yourself. But I hope that you can see it some time. Consider this--if you're a student or a young person who isn't established and tied down to a job, work seasonally in Alaska next year. Plenty of summer jobs. Go the the site for Princess; they have five lodges and hire a lot of summer help, and they have employee housing. They will pay for your airplane ride up with their corporate rates (of course you have to pay them back). No, I'm not a shill for Princess or any other company; I just think that it's a good way to see part of the state without spending a lot of money. Or go to the site for Jewel Gardens in Skagway; they hire summer help too. A lot of places do; a good resource for these jobs is Coolworks.com. and they all have an online application process. There are a few who hire winter help, like Chena Hot Springs and Coldfoot Camp. There's also...and I can't remember the name, but a place in South Central that does eco-tourism; that might be your sort of thing.

So instead of wondering what it's like, come up and see for yourself. I think that most places start accepting applications for summer help in January or February; and you can probably find something if you start applying early. You'll need good references and the ability to do well in telephone interviews.

Politically, it's a red state and I doubt that will change any time soon, but people don't seem to be as in your face about it either way.

Metlakatla,

Kudos to you!

I think that is one of the best, if not the best, response to a post that I have ever read. You made your points, eloquently and thoughtful, without being rude, offensive, terse, or judgmental of the original poster. I tip my hat to you.

Again my dear, kudos!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 AM

247 posts, read 153,410 times
Default Not really, just direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
So how would you define your post? Non aggressive and judgmental?
Judgmental? Not really, except toward the silly antagonism expressed over nothing but a couple of questions. Just because things are different here doesn't mean they are bad. It's all relative and in the eye of the beholder. Telling the truth is just that, nothing more. Some people love things just as they are. If reading the truth feels like a judgment (positive or negative? Judgments cut both ways), then that's something for the defensive to reflect on, not people just admitting how things are, including compared to other places.

Non-aggressive? Well yes. No one specifically received an attack of any kind. Direct is not aggression. However, insulting a specific commenter just because one is too frail to handle a question is aggression. Not attractive, just immature and silly. Heck, we tell children not to act like that so why accept it in adults?

I prefer Outsiders know there are Alaskans capable of rational, adult discussion.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 AM

247 posts, read 153,410 times
Default And others can't hack it Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Just cover to all of the bases, you forgot two other categories: military members and civilian employees of the United States government.

The short answer to your question is yes and you can ascertain by perusing the majority of responses to your post. Most young people who graduate from high school and have any ambition or above average intelligence, usually choose one of two courses of action:

A) those with the intelligence and means (either from their parents or through scholarships, grants, and loans) leaving Alaska for post-secondary education and never return, or
B) join a branch of the armed forces and never return

The main reason that most leave is due to the lack of opportunites but an insufferable level of closed-mindedness and intolerance is also a contributing factor.

Just my opinion but I stand by it.
I've noticed the majority of young people who do return do so pretty quickly. After growing up in Alaska, they can't hack it Outside where expectations are different and higher. If they were willing to stick it out longer, those with at least average intelligence would learn to adjust after losing a couple of jobs. They'd step-it-up versus feeling overwhelmed, but most are quickly homesick for what they know and high tail it back to Alaska.

Like you said, the more capable don't return, except for a very few who want to take over family businesses or practice medicine or something, but they are a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage