Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times

Advertisements

I would put your Mustang in storage and lease a front wheel drive Toyota or buy an older Toyota or Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
It's possible to get around in a rear-wheel drive in Anchorage if you have good snow tires.
It being possible to do something and it being a good idea to do something are totally different matters

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why?

Maybe it serves some purpose there...when I see them in AK I just assume that they belong to newcomers. We just laugh when we see them...
I see them mostly around military bases up here. Young macho guys with more money than brains, I guess. Some of the slednecks around here have lifted trucks, but they actually use them in areas that don't get plowed very often. It's mostly a cultural/fashion thing in Texas and the South, but they are useful on farms and ranches and so on.

I have had the thought of lifting my little Taco about 6 inches eventually and throwing on some big mean tires for running up the rivers and some of the crazy back roads around here, but I'd never drive it on a regular basis on the road like that.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
yes, they do serve a purpose here. esp if you live rural like i do. my truck has served me well on the ranch, driving thru some rough country, low water crossings, hauling etc.
but i would trade my big mudders for snow tires just to live in AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why?

Maybe it serves some purpose there...when I see them in AK I just assume that they belong to newcomers. We just laugh when we see them...

I'm a single female. I do not resemble the tough gals on the reality shows; I know nothing about mechanics, et al. I also don't underestimate myself simply by virtue of being female--and neither does anyone else. I work in an extremely male dominated business but yet I kick ass and this year I kicked it like it's never been kicked before. I'd be embarrassed to jack my fish truck up and have mud flaps.

Seriously, I think that you should move to AK if you're so drawn to it, but make sure you're doing it for substantial reasons rather than reality television and "into the wild" based fantasies.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 PM

157 posts, read 240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
yes, they do serve a purpose here. esp if you live rural like i do. my truck has served me well on the ranch, driving thru some rough country, low water crossings, hauling etc.
but i would trade my big mudders for snow tires just to live in AK

although I drove multiple cars up here last winter, I finally got my jeep wrangler up here this past summer. drove it with oversize tires for the last 4 winters in WI. This year we took it back down to stock tire size and added studs. I think I am very glad of that. The first snowstorm we had I kinda slid around like a shoebox on skates. I have much better control with the lower center of gravity.

I loved the oversize tires if for nothing more than the "cool mom" factor it gave me to drive around them and the top off. the jeeps top that is, not mine

Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 PM

165 posts, read 552,932 times
My stock Jeep Wrangler driving to Knik Glacier.

A big lifted Suburban didn't make it.

My Truck

The wife's Jeep.

All these worked well up there.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM

868 posts, read 1,426,842 times
I want a Wrangler! *cries*

Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM

157 posts, read 240,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
My stock Jeep Wrangler driving to Knik Glacier

I would LOVE to make a trip like that in my jeep. But haven't got the foggiest idea of where to go or how to do it. May I ask if you would share some info like how you got there? Not so sure I'll do it this time of year, but I'd love to try next year.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:55 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Seriously, an 8-inch lift isn't really necessary anywhere. Six... maybe. But those extra two inches are style points, plain and simple, ESPECIALLY down here.

I had a 4Runner with a 3-inch lift, and the only point of the lift was to fit bigger tires. And even then, I'm not sure the lift ever really helped me that much. And I off-roaded A TON. Worst thing about that 4Runner: it was a V8, and with that lift it got about 12 mpg tops. I couldn't imagine an 8-inch lifted full-size truck.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
i know, totally overkill, but i love my jacked up truck!! matter of fact, sometimes i wish it was more than an 8 inch lift! i get jealous when i see trucks lifted higher. (p.s. i am a 47 year old woman ha ha...not a kid...but i guess i still aint grown up!) oh, and my truck is a full-sized long bed mega cab truck. i dont know what my mileage is-scared to find out...i drive 2 hours a day 5 days a week for work, and all i know is that it costs me over $100/week for gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Seriously, an 8-inch lift isn't really necessary anywhere. Six... maybe. But those extra two inches are style points, plain and simple, ESPECIALLY down here.

I had a 4Runner with a 3-inch lift, and the only point of the lift was to fit bigger tires. And even then, I'm not sure the lift ever really helped me that much. And I off-roaded A TON. Worst thing about that 4Runner: it was a V8, and with that lift it got about 12 mpg tops. I couldn't imagine an 8-inch lifted full-size truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage