Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
the traffic(which I understand has gotten worse),.
No kidding! The last time I was on Maui (a few years ago) it was literally one long traffic jam the entire route from the Airport in Wailuku to the resorts in Kaanapali.

I am convinced that one day the Hawaiian Islands will begin to sink simply from the sheer weight of all the Automobiles placed there over the last few decades!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
so so many reasons.but i will happily go visit family there (they have lived there for over 25 years), but all it took was one stint of living there myself and from then on,i was never ever envious of them living in "paradise".
living there is quite different than vacationing there.
and by the way, i had an all expenses paid move there, job and temporary housing awaiting. good job. there is no amount of money that could entice me to live there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Why did you hate living in the garden isle? You litterally lived in jurassic park.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
No kidding! The last time I was on Maui (a few years ago) it was literally one long traffic jam the entire route from the Airport in Wailuku to the resorts in Kaanapali.

I am convinced that one day the Hawaiian Islands will begin to sink simply from the sheer weight of all the Automobiles placed there over the last few decades!
I was just there a few weeks ago and it was like the valley on a sunday evening. No traffic jams or bad traffic, it was great.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
so so many reasons.but i will happily go visit family there (they have lived there for over 25 years), but all it took was one stint of living there myself and from then on,i was never ever envious of them living in "paradise".
living there is quite different than vacationing there.
and by the way, i had an all expenses paid move there, job and temporary housing awaiting. good job. there is no amount of money that could entice me to live there again.
could you be more specific as I woudl love ot retire in maui, but maybe not? Could you give me the skinny?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
i dont know Maui. i only know Kaua'i.

Quote:
could you be more specific as I woudl love ot retire in maui, but maybe not? Could you give me the skinny?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM

24 posts, read 26,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
i lived on Kaua'i for a short time and that is where my "ohana" (family) is. i would never ever want to live there again and dont recommend it, for so many reasons. I LOVE ALASKA, so i vote for AK. (and i hate the cold)
WOW! Now this speaks volumes. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Oddly enough, I never had to get my windshield replaced while I was living in Alaska. However that being said since moving here to Maryland I have had to get my windshield replaced TWICE in the two years that I've been here. Weird!
Now that being said, I did have a truck throw a good sized stone at my jeep and it punched a hole in my left turn signal light. LOL
I lived in Northern NY and that hurt my Jeep a whole heck of a lot more than the 6 years I lived in Alaska.
Now that is weird because the whole time (about 8 years) that I lived in Maryland, I never had even a nick or crack in the windshield of any vehicle but after 8+ years of living in Alaska, every vehicle has an extensive crack and/or pit in the windshield.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
If you move to alaska and vacation in hawaii you will want to move to hawaii. While alaska has emense beauty the cold is not fun. Unless you plan on vacationing from early nov to april I would just try to move to hawaii and visit alaska for a month in july. There are only 3 good months in alaska but 12 good months in hawaii.
Absolutely right! Winter here is no joke. Think long and hard and don't poo-poo wintertime in Alaska. Most newcomers to Alaska don't make it past 2 years for very good reasons. Definitely do your research and visit in the winter, not the summer. If you visit in the summer and think you can hang, you will get crushed when winter comes. However, if you can handle the winter, then you will be good to go.

God bless you, in whatever you decide.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 PM

97 posts, read 147,650 times
philinak,
I got one for you. After 4 years of living in Northern NY I came to Alaska. Within about a year I had to have my radiator taken out in pieces because it had rusted through from all the salt!
That and the carpet on the driver side had started to be burnt through thanks once again to the salt!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 32,970 times
I would reccomend Anchorage, AK. Hard to find good jobs in HI. And Alaska has endless outdoor fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage