Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 24,428 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all! I'll have to pass the driving test pretty soon(i have passed written test recently). I know i need to pass vision test before the driving one. I have not a very good vision but my doctor told me a few years ago that it's ok for me and by the way i'm going to have contact lenses in February. But the problem is that i need licence badly in order not to loose my job. If i fail vision are they going in DMV memorize that somewhere? Can i take driving test in a third-company testers? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 AM

275 posts, read 576,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAK View Post
Hi y'all! I'll have to pass the driving test pretty soon(i have passed written test recently). I know i need to pass vision test before the driving one. I have not a very good vision but my doctor told me a few years ago that it's ok for me and by the way i'm going to have contact lenses in February. But the problem is that i need licence badly in order not to loose my job. If i fail vision are they going in DMV memorize that somewhere? Can i take driving test in a third-company testers? thank you.
When I took a vision test last this year, they used a machine that you looked into and read off letters. Since the clerk could change to various lines and sizes letters displayed, there was no way to memorize it beforehand.

My personal opinion is that if you can't pass a DMV vision test without glasses or contacts then you shouldn't be driving without them either. Even if you could "cheat" and pass the test somehow, the fact is that you still need to see in order to drive.

The curious statement is that your doctor told you that your vision problem is OK for you. It might be a case of you need some minor correction, however you still see well would be able to pass a DMV vision test. If your vision is 20/40 vision or better in both eyes without corrective lenses, according to the DMV, you could still get a license

While I'd still recommend seeing an optometrist, the web site Eye Charts has a quick way to test your vision, According to the site, print out a Snellen Chart , place it on a wall in a well lit area, and stand 20 feet back. If you can see the 40ft line or better, your vision should be at least 20/40

Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM

6,992 posts, read 12,642,658 times
Quote:
are you going to try a fool the DMV with contacts and not tell them about your vision issues??? it sounds like that the way you have written this.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,691,543 times
Please don't drive if you cannot see well. My kids are out there.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,958,582 times
Great. You can't see and you want us to tell you how to fool the DMV. ffs

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,839,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
are you going to try a fool the DMV with contacts and not tell them about your vision issues??? it sounds like that the way you have written this.

I read this as he/she needs the license sooner than can afford to get vision corrected with contacts.

Did you know that if you are in need of glasses the Lion's Club helps people get exams and glasses?

Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,642,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I read this as he/she needs the license sooner than can afford to get vision corrected with contacts.

Did you know that if you are in need of glasses the Lion's Club helps people get exams and glasses?
the Lion's Club though out the country does this...people should donate their old frames to the Lion's Club as they refurbish and use them!.....

Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,406,264 times
Or you can get cheaty readers at Walmart, Walgreens, Fred Meyer or the like for @ $15

Old 12-16-2011, 10:36 PM

868 posts, read 1,414,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Or you can get cheaty readers at Walmart, Walgreens, Fred Meyer or the like for @ $15
Those are for close reading, as the name implies. They will not help a driver with impaired vision on the road.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,913,797 times
Quote:
Line 1: ASDFGHJKLOPAW

Line 2: FREUIYULLKJVLOI

Line 3: TUYUIOHBUYREO

Line 4: NBVXBTWRUIOYT

You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage